Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I look at a game price on Amazon vs. that same game on one of the OLGS I find that Amazon's price, though shipping is included if the total is more than $35 (I think), seems to be higher so as to subtly include their shipping costs.

I've used Cool Stuff, Cardhaus, Fair Play Games, Time Well Spent, and even Fun Again, depending on the games I'm considering at that time. Their prices have always been lower than Amazon's. And I buy enough each time to get to the free shipping threshold.

I don't have that Amazon privilege of free shipping - Prime, isn't it?

So why should I bother with Amazon at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawkeye
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You shouldn't, especially if you can get the same or better price from a game store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I hardly ever buy board games from Amazon.

If you're into getting one game at a time, and have Prime, it can sometimes be a good option. But otherwise there's always better prices to be found elsewhere. So don't bother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to avoid buying board games from Amazon...and that is despite the fact that I use them for almost everything else I can and enjoy my Prime membership.

It is because of the strange lack of care I saw on a few orders in the past. I found this odd because they often would package other items that need less care with more more package stuffing. For about a third of my board game orders, though, there was very little thought to cushioning and I saw minor wear when my games arrived. I suppose they figured that the game contents were already in a box and that the appearance of the game box itslf would never be a matter of concern?

In addition to that, if you ever have a component issue with a board game - or any fussy issue that is not fussy to us (wrong edition, expansion compatibility) you will never be able to get someone on the phone to understand it like an online game store that deals in the hobby.

I still love Amazon but I order almost all of my games from CSI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not too sure why this question exists...

Why should I buy from x place?

People buy or avoid places for all sorts of reasons. Seems like cost is yours, so if there are other options go there. Some people like the amazing buyer protection that Amazon offers, so it might be worth a few extra bucks. To each their own...

I shop around, but lately I've either bought from Amazon (lightning deals) or if I wanted a game immediately, I'd go to my FLGS that runs 30% off all games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voidreturn
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
KingD21 wrote:

I shop around, but lately I've either bought from Amazon (lightning deals) or if I wanted a game immediately, I'd go to my FLGS that runs 30% off all games.

Because I don't want to spend $100 to get 1 or 2 things shipped in a week. If I buy on Amazon, the price is close to OLGS but I get even a $1 purchase shipped for free guaranteed in 2 days.

To be totally honest, I can't see why you'd buy from anyone but Miniature Market (excellent selection) or CSI (frequent buyer discount) if you don't buy from Amazon.

Most people fail to understand and account for shipping costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coel Williams
United States
Wichita Falls
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree and Amazon Prime is a good value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon will have good deals every so often, especially if you have prime. Keep an eye on the hot deals forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard that Amazon Prime costs $99. That's a LOT!!! of shipping costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Parks
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
EllenCaroline wrote:

It does but you are also getting what is essentially a streaming only Netflix subscription with it (they are pretty comparable)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
voidreturn wrote:
KingD21 wrote:

Because I don't want to spend $100 to get 1 or 2 things shipped in a week. If I buy on Amazon, the price is close to OLGS but I get even a $1 purchase shipped for free guaranteed in 2 days.

To be totally honest, I can't see why you'd buy from anyone but Miniature Market (excellent selection) or CSI (frequent buyer discount) if you don't buy from Amazon.

Most people fail to understand and account for shipping costs.

Cardhaus beats both MM and CSI if you can go up to $125 on your order. That's even with my discount from CSI.

I shop where I can get the best deal...it doesn't matter if it's CSI, MM, Carrdhaus, Amazon, FLGS (usually for oop titles). Don't discount Amazon though...I've got plenty of games from them at prices better than OLGS. For example, I bought nations for $49.99 a few weeks ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EllenCaroline wrote:

You also get access to many free TV shows and movies and a ton of digital music.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
EllenCaroline wrote:

You also get access to many free TV shows and movies and a ton of digital music.
And a free kindle book of the month book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Moss
United States
Owasso
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
New Troll Here!
badge
Stay away from the Voodoo.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another HUGE advantage of purchasing off Amazon is it's a whole lot easier to get FREE shipping due to not being limited to just games. Sure a game might be $2 higher on Amazon over CSI, but when I can get free shipping by adding in a new movie or toy for my boys, or maybe something nice for the wife, or even just some essentials like deodorant and office supplies, it more than makes up for the cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:

I'd rather be playing board games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gardner
United States
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EllenCaroline wrote:

Prime gives you more than just shipping discounts. You get streaming movies and tv shows (like Netflix), streaming music, ebooks for some of the kindle/nook type devices, early shots at the lightning deals, and of course, free expedited shipping on many items.

I do find that the occasional game arrives with almost no packaging. That has happened from other game distributors too.

I do not have a viable FLGS, so my go-to places are Cardhaus, Amazon, Miniature Market, and Coolstuff. Cardhaus items tend to get to me quicker than any of the others, except for Amazon. Amazon is dang fast and often I'll get the item the very next day, or two at most.

Edited to add that I'm apparently a slower typist than some of the other posters. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple observations....

Lots of talk above about prices, shipping, selection, etc. Not really a peep about loyalty and/or customer service. We are a pretty mercenary lot.

For me the best reason to not shop Amazon (even if it costs a couple bucks more) is to help keep the small guys in business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Mahoney
United States
Lihue
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mb
For Hawai'i folks, especially outer-island ones, Amazon is the only retail source that offers affordable (free) shipping. If I want a game shipped from CSI, I have to fork over $50 to fly it over. (Don't worry, I've never done it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Amazon.ca in Canada, but not for board games. For some reason the prices are horrible, especially when I come them to the online board game shops I like.

I think in part it's because Amazon (at least up here) relies on their partners for board game sales, and those partners set their own prices. Most of them pick ridiculously high prices. No idea why, when there is such healthy competition, but I guess some people bite.

Love Amazon for many things, but board games are not one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom C.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to buy games frequently from Amazon, when free shipping was at $25. Now that it is 35 (no prime), it's often impractical to order 1 game. Their game prices used to be competitive with many online stores. But in the last year or so I have noticed less bargains, and in fact it seems there are more independent sellers selling many of the games, as opposed to direct from Amazon. Many don't include shipping. I'm now using other online stores more, and my local store as well, but less Amazon. But...they still sometimes carry games that are out of stock everywhere else, so it's still worth looking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if I calculate in 2 day shipping that I get with prime, amazon wins every time.

Prime is awesome, and I know personally that my family has FAR exceeded the $99 we pay for it every year in shipping costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy almost exclusively from Amazon. I have a sister with Prime membership, so I'm on her 'account' to get free shipping.

My experience has been, that buying at Amazon is cheaper, and the free shipping makes it just that much better. I don't do $100 at a time orders, I have a family to feed and the two don't mix well for me.

Beyond that, I've only had a couple of online stores (Noble Knight being the most notable) that have given good service. I've been overcharged, received damaged goods, waited months for responses to emails and phone calls (some of the larger online game retailers have yet to respond to questions I had regarding products, shipping, etc, that I send several months ago). Amazon may be a big box, but at least they get things done and stand by their products.

If the cost was the same, or even a couple bucks cheaper at one of those stores compared to Amazon, I'll gladly take my business to Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Schmidt
England
Harrogate
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prime isn't free shipping. Prime is $99 2 day shipping. Order $35 of stuff and you can get it shipped free without having a prime membership. That shipping is actually free. If I order from MM, CSI, Cardhaus I always wait till I can get hit free shipping threshold or it's not time to order games. Only rarely will Amazon have a better deal than regular prices at cardhouse but it does happen a few times a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coel Williams
United States
Wichita Falls
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
St0ckpile wrote:
Prime isn't free shipping. Prime is $99 2 day shipping. Order $35 of stuff and you can get it shipped free without having a prime membership. That shipping is actually free. If I order from MM, CSI, Cardhaus I always wait till I can get hit free shipping threshold or it's not time to order games. Only rarely will Amazon have a better deal than regular prices at cardhouse but it does happen a few times a year.

Prime is more than 2 day shipping. You get the equivalent of Netflix and w day shipping on all kinds of items!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
St0ckpile wrote:

It's free for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.