Popular Tags: [View All]
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to build a PnP version of a board game, but the map files the publisher has given out have tiles joined together by 'jigsaw' cut tabs & holes. The materials I have won't survive long that way, they'll fray & bend, the final product will use thicker & denser material than I have available.

What I was thinking of was, can you buy little edge clips that would hold two map tiles together at the edges? I guess clipping & unclipping will wear out the tiles too, but it's an option. However, I've never seen the clips available...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually use small binder clips, and on most of them the "handle" part of the clip can be removed while you play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had thought of those - hos small do they get though? The ones I have are pretty big, probably an inch across. They'd prop up the map tile off the table a bit too, with the tube arrangement for the 'handles'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have them in front of me but I think the ones I was using were about 1.5cm.

And yeah, they do slightly raise the board but I'm not sure if you'll be able to get away from that regardless of the clip type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Admittedly, yes, raising the edges is going to be inevitable with edge clips, I was just hoping there was something really thin... When I was doing technical drawing at school (back before AutoCAD and Inventor replaced the paper & pencils...) we had metal clips to hold the paper in place with a flat back and curved front - but they were about 2 inches across.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge

http://www.amazon.com/Bluelounge-CableClips-Small-Cable-Mana...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered using plastic spine clips of the sort used to bind brochures etc. You can get them in a range of colours including clear, and with care they can be cut to any length you want with a craft knife or fine saw.

I used them On my Aether Captains build and they worked great:

If you radius the ends they can easily be slipped on and off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
You're either born a pirate or not! It's in the blood...
mbmbmbmbmb
You need vinyl J-channel used for finishing bathroom panels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Binder clips were my other main thought, yes. You have some nice thin ones there too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CapnYB wrote:
You need vinyl J-channel used for finishing bathroom panels.
That would be perfect if I could find it small enough! The stuff I see is all too wide to grip a cardboard tile. Nice one though, exactly the style I was thinking of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Quintana
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you seen Terraclips 3d?

Do a google search. they are plastic clips to hold cardboard pieces together.

I will see about posting a picture if you would like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
I had thought of those - hos small do they get though? The ones I have are pretty big, probably an inch across. They'd prop up the map tile off the table a bit too, with the tube arrangement for the 'handles'.

I have some really small ones; clip them on, remove the levers (like the third one pictured above) and there is barely any rise from the table (but then a couple of mm might be too much for you). They were only cheap; I think I got them from The Works or Poundland or somewhere like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
stenmur wrote:
Have you seen Terraclips 3d?
That's the stuff! I knew someone had to have thought about this for gaming before now. OK, still going to raise the map a mm or two, but barring thin sheet metal that's as good as it gets. Available from Amazon UK too - although it's a mix pack & my idea only needs I-clips. I guess I can find a use for the other types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead wrote:
I have some really small ones
I can find 15mm ones in bright colours, but 19mm seems to be the standard 'small' type, which is good. They're a damn sight cheaper than the Terraclips, but this project is for a present and I think the terraclips will lend it a bit of class. The foldback clips I will keep in mind for later projects...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some in about 10mm size.

[Whoops. I measured them and they are actually 13mm.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
I have some in about 10mm size.
Nice, but make them too small & they won't get a good grip on the two tiles they're joining. I've ordered some of those terraclips for this job anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.