Popular Tags: [View All]
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
EU-friendly Kickstarters rule!
badge
"The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world."
mbmbmbmbmb
So I received my copies (they were a lot, as it was a $495 group pledge ) a few days ago, and after spending much too longer than I'd like to publicly admit fawning over sorting all the bits and pieces in Tuscany, I have to hand it to Stonemaier: They really are the best.

Now, I have been pretty involved with the making of Tuscany (generally as a SMG fanboy and as helper to Morten the wizard in fine-tuning Automa), so I can't really say that I was unprepared for what I was going to find into the box. But still, it managed to surprise me in many ways. There's so much stuff, so much beauty, and so much attention to detail in the box that it really has to be seen to be believed. The coins look and feel great, the custom workers are impossibly cute, the back on the Automa cards is awesome, the Mafia cards are an actual package (the back is genius), the property tiles are a continuous diorama, the new glass beads are the perfect size, the Mama&Papa paired as cameos look amazing, colors everywhere are vibrant and beautiful, the stars are even better than the Euphoria ones... I could go on and on. I think I can surely say that the Viti+Tuscany combo is the most beautiful game(s) I have, hands down, and it will be a very tall order for any other game to best them.

That, of course, plus the gameplay. I haven't yet tried my copy, and while I PnPed and playtested a fair amount of the expansions I still have a lot of things to enjoy and discover. But I fully expect Viticulture (already a household favourite) to become a 9.5 or a 10 with Tuscany. The myriad ways the expansions can be combined really make it seem like you could play Viticulture forever and never encounter the same game twice. I'm really looking forward to the first plays with the extended board and the structures expansion - these are the ones I particularly wish I'd had time to build the PnP of.

Oh, and for fellow Stonemaier fans, the surprise in the box (the "spoiler" mentioned in KS updates) blew me away. My GF said that she regrets not recording my reaction to it. So clever! I won't give you any more details, except for this one: you won't be disappointed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm elated to hear this! I know you're very close to what we've done ever since you backed Euphoria, but it doesn't diminish how much it means to me to read this. Tuscany is kind of my dream Euro game in terms of what we put into it (really, when you count it up, there's a staggering amount of original art in this game), and I'm so glad to hear you're pleased with the final product. I wish I could have seen your reaction to the spoiler!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa Sharma
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone needs to fill me in on the spoiler. I have my copy and I still have no idea what it is. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
badge
"The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world."
mbmbmbmbmb
organizationroxas wrote:
Someone needs to fill me in on the spoiler. I have my copy and I still have no idea what it is. cry

I'll GM you so as not to spoiler the rest of the thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
organizationroxas wrote:

Spoiler: It's a live kitten. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
barry Doublet
France
epernay
Other
flag msg tools
Mad Crazy Fool !!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andvaranaut wrote:

Oh, and for fellow Stonemaier fans, the surprise in the box (the "spoiler" mentioned in KS updates) blew me away. My GF said that she regrets not recording my reaction to it. So clever! I won't give you any more details, except for this one: you won't be disappointed!

Is that the packet that says "OPEN AT YOUR OWN RISK?"
I'm trying soooo hard not to do a component check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tajs Seelen
Netherlands
Etten-Leur
NB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I regretted not going for the fast shipment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badgerthebrave wrote:

Then you should open it at the end of Tier 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
barry Doublet
France
epernay
Other
flag msg tools
Mad Crazy Fool !!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andvaranaut wrote:
badgerthebrave wrote:

Then you should open it at the end of Tier 2.

I've "uncorked" all of tier 1, but in solo mode. Do you think it will have the same effect in a solo game, or with other?

(wouldn't it be good to not play solo )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badgerthebrave wrote:
I've "uncorked" all of tier 1, but in solo mode. Do you think it will have the same effect in a solo game, or with other?

Yes, you certainly can use it in solo mode. I can see it having a pretty interesting effect, in fact.

Regarding unlocking, the visitors can be unlocked after or before it, but you definitely should unlock the rest of tier 2 before cracking the package open.

Cheers
Jose
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mb
holgerd wrote:
organizationroxas wrote:

It can't be a live kitten. Jamey showed me his copy of Tuscany about a month ago and there is absolutely no room for a live kitten in the box!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Hykes
United States
Grove City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Delthos wrote:
holgerd wrote:
organizationroxas wrote:

It can't be a live kitten. Jamey showed me his copy of Tuscany about a month ago and there is absolutely no room for a live kitten in the box!

You'd be surprised how determined a cat can be when trying to fit in a gamebox. And 'Biddy Junior' is doing quite well in my apartment. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe: I like how "there's no room" is your main justification for why we haven't included a live kitten in every copy of Tuscany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Fawcett
United Kingdom
Northwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
badge
There's just one kind of favor I'll ask for you - you can see that my grave is kept clean
mbmbmbmbmb
I've received my collector's edition today. All in perfect condition from the outside although I haven't had time to open any shrink wrap yet. The first (and only, so far) thing I have backed on Kickstarter. Made very easy by Jamey's high volume approach to communication. The games look amazing and will surely play well. Thanks all round especially to Stonemaier games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for giving Kickstarter a chance through us, Roger!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
organizationroxas wrote:

I have my copy too and likewise have no idea what the "surprise in the box" is.

*EDIT: SO GREAT !! *

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YP
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
moocifer wrote:
organizationroxas wrote:

I have my copy too and likewise have no idea what the "surprise in the box" is.

Check the Structures compartment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are killing me...zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YP
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
I caved and opened the surprise pack as well.... really cool bonus! Can't really say anything without spoiling, but like andvaranaut said, you won't be disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for keeping the spoiler a secret, but I'm glad you enjoyed it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Png
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Thanks for keeping the spoiler a secret, but I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Finally got to unwrap the game, sleeve and pack the components. I was wondering what the "open at your own risk" package was about, I guess I must have missed the update.

After opening the package, all I want to say is thank you Jamey for the addition!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Eugene! I thought that people like you who have backed several of our projects would particularly enjoy that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma Laslett
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just caved and opened the spoiler, and I just want to say: CALLED IT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hear hear! This game is just blowing me away from eight different directions, and I'm only up to the extended board module.

The new cards are a joy. I love it when you only use a fraction of the deck(s) in a card-assisted game. It's the best kind of variability. People talk about the luck such things introduce; but its effect in this case does not at all preclude the need and ability to follow a long-term strategy. It just gives you a tactical game to play within that larger structure.

The extended board has created an almost entirely new game. A slightly heavier one, in the best way. The fascinating decision points are multiplied, yet none of the new options or mechanics I've seen so far are extraneous.

I didn't think I cared that much about components -- but now I don't think I can live without those metal coins. The molding and finish on them are incredible. I'm going to use them in all my games, even the space ones.

The only thing that gives me pause among all of the lovely portraits on the cards is that it's a bit surprising how few Italians live in Tuscany! It seems to be more of a Dutch colony. Still, the artwork and design are fantastic everywhere. Just look at the layout of those rule books.

I don't think I've ever seen an expansion with even more content and gameplay than the original -- an original that was not lacking in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.