GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,570 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Brian Lombard
United States
New Carlisle
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like baseball but am more of a low informed casual watcher of the game. However, I love board games and a baseball board game sounds like a lot of fun. Is strato a good game for me to play even with my lack of baseball knowledge or is there a better game to get into?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I own and enjoy Stra-O-Matic Baseball, but I'd hesitate to recommend it to you. Strat is 90% simulation and 10% boardgame. It's a product of decades lone gone, and belongs in the same school of game design as many no-frills wargames, such as PanzerBlitz. The game has essentially no graphics, and all the action must play out in your mind's eye.

If you tried MLB Showdown, but thought it was too unrealistic, give Strat a shot.

If you loved Blackbeard, but wished it was about baseball, then Strat should be a good choice.

If you want a simulation that will give you a great baseball narrative, with probabilities that match the actual sport, go ahead and give Strat a try. If that doesn't sound like what you're looking for, well, it probably isn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
You can stick with the basic game or play one of the two more advanced rules sets. You can even pick and choose which of the more advanced rules you decide to implement into the game.

The beauty is, since you're a casual fan, you'll notice that if you don't use certain rules, attempting the extra base, for example, and risk having a runner thrown out that you'll be missing a large part of the strategy of RL.

Haven't played any other baseball boardgames, but I've heard there are one or two just as good.

It's possible that it will also teach you more about the game and help you become more than a casual fan.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Lavin
United States
Cambridge
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, this is the best baseball simulation game on the market. It's easy to learn, and has different levels of complexity, so a casual gamer like yourself can start off with the basic game, and add levels at your own speed. You can purchase new player cards each year with the latest stats. I think it is unquestionably the most statistically accurate game out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Allard
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
You could give Baseball Express a try for a small investment to see how you like the basic system. Very portable, inexpensive and approachable.

Strat-O-Matic Baseball Express

JimA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lombard
United States
New Carlisle
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for all the replies. I may just try out the baseball express and see what i think of the game. i like simulation games and like how this one sounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bergquist
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a great simulation game, and can be played and enjoyed by young and old alike. On the "basic" game level, it does not require a deep understanding of all the subtleties of the actual sport, but can be enjoyed just by taking care to follow the printed rules of the game. Personally, I think that if you set up, let's say, a league of a few teams and play a schedule of several games of these teams against each other, you will find yourself taking more interest in real baseball as well. (I like to play a six-team league, with each team playing each other team 4 times, 2 home and 2 away, and then I keep simple stats, like batting average, home runs, rbi's, strikeouts by pitchers, earned run average, and a few others.) You'll start to look for your favorite players in real life, and then you'll "image" them as you play Strat, too.

When you get more familiar with how the game plays, you may at some point find yourself wanting to move up to the Advanced game, or perhaps even the Super-Advanced. But I wouldn't rush that at all. The game gets quite a bit more complex as you move up.

I'm a grandfather, and I taught my sons how to play Strat baseball, and now I'm teaching my grandkids. I've been playing the game for about 35 years. I still have as much fun playing the "basic" game with my 10 year old grandson as I did all those years ago. It's a real "lifer." Hope you enjoy it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lombard
United States
New Carlisle
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds like a really good way for me to get my feet wet. I'm looking into possibly even buying the newest version as I'm a Red Sox fan and it has their impressive comeback season.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.