David Stoffey
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
To the Mountain!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday my FLGS hosted an excellent escalation tournament. It was your standard 60-90-120-150. A month ago we had a normal tournament and I took first and won an Outrider and this month's prize was the Decimator. Well, I don't have one yet, and I'm a poor college student, so I went in wanting to win. I guess I won't ruin the surprise here and you'll have to read on and see how it went!

60- At the base level I ran Dash Rendar (I had to use my new, shiny Outrider after all...) I had him equipped with a Heavy Laser Cannon with the Outrider title. He also had Push the Limit, Kyle Katarn, and Engine Upgrade.

I flew against a mini-TIE swarm. He ran Howlrunner with Shield Upgrade and Swarm Tactics and three Academy Pilots. For 60 points, this was a very long match, and he flew very well. Additionally, I was rolling terribly and he was rolling phenomenally. After a few turns in I was out of shields and had put two damage on one TIE fighter. Things were looking grim. However, I caught him off guard and flew out into the distance and was able to stay a good bit away for a few turns which gave me the firing power to do some damage to him and finally picked off his last three TIEs. I only had 3 hull remaining at the end of the match, and it was a real nail biter! But the tournament fun had only yet begun...

90- I added Airen Cracken with Squad Leader at this level to give Dash an extra action (like he needed it) and to save points for the next level.

The best part was that I flew against the same exact Dash build and two Bandit Pilots! Our lists were almost mirrors of one another! I didn't expect to win this match, because when it came down to it, he had more firepower than me as he was flying two Z-95's to my one. But I had initiative, and I thought, if I could trap his Dash on a couple asteroids, he wouldn't be able to fire and I could take out his Bandits before having to deal with his Outrider. Well, it worked! I was able to take down his two bandits for the trade of Airen and it was Dash on Dash. As we flew around the board, we consistently did the same damage to one another and on the final turn, we shot each other out of the sky at the same time, doing the same damage. The tournament organizer was shocked, and had to check to see what happened according to tourney rules in this situation. He ended up calling it a tie.

120- I added Corran Horn with Fire Control System and Lone Wolf, which I completely forgot to use the next two games.

Now the strange part about the tournament was that the way points were tallied and scores were calculated, I was matched up against the same guy again! Luckily, he took Keyan Farlander and a bunch of other upgrades I cannot remember, so our lists were beginning to look different. We set up across the table from each other, and I knew if I could alpha strike Keyan, that would give me the victory. As the game opened, I flew Airen and Koran straight towards Keyan with my Dash ready to joust his Dash. As the two Outriders beat into each other, Keyan was gone in two rounds of shooting, as was one of his Bandits, and my list had only lost Dash's shields. At this point, Horn and Cracken turned hard towards his Dash and finished it off, and next round my Dash cleaned up his final bandit, not before succumbing to all the pounding from my opponent's squad though. All in all, this match was over in 20 minutes and it was a good match.

150- I added Wedge with Predator, to make sure I had enough firepower to deal with the other finalist list. My whole 150 point squad was built around Alpha Striking and finishing the game quick.

After I saw my final opponent, I was nervous. He had a Decimator, Defender, Phantom, and a slew of TIE fighters. I knew I wouldn't be able to kill the Decimator in the long run as he had it heavily equipped, so my first goal was to kill it. As the match opened, I flew everything I had full speed at his Decimator. In one rounding of shooting on turn two, with Horn firing twice, the Decimator went from full health to none, and he didn't even get to fire at any of my ships as I was above him in Pilot Skill and maneuvered in such a way that I was still a good distance from the rest of his fleet. There was just some clean up after that, and by the end of the match, I hadn't lost a ship.

It was a great tournament! I really wish I had taken some pictures, but you live and learn. Here was my list broken down a bit better:

58- 36 Dash Rendar
7 Heavy Laser Cannon
5 Outrider Title
3 Kyle Katarn
3 Push the Limit
4 Engine Upgrade

77- 19 Airen Cracken
2 Squad Leader

118- Corran Horn
2 Fire Control System
2 Lone Wolf

150- Wedge
3 Predator

Thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on the win!

As an aside, the tournament organizer messed up a little. Even though you had a draw and thus had the same number of tournament points as your opponent, you don't play a previous opponent (unless there's a cut to a championship round, which wasn't the case here). Whichever of you had higher MoV (eg from the first round, or check SOS and flip a coin if still tied) should have played the next higher ranked opponent, and the other should have played the next lower ranked opponent. Oh well. Still sounds like a good time and well-earned victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stoffey
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
To the Mountain!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jeff! Good to know even if it happens so rarely. It happened once so it can happen again!

But cause of the way he did it, after playing each other twice, whoever came out on top was really ahead in first place. It made it almost impossible for someone else to catch up in the last round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.