GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,823 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Breacan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Where to play and rules questions ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found out about this game and I'm very intrigued. But where to play? The website listed here seems to be defunct. Also, I have a couple rules clarification questions:

1) To offset the advantage that the first player so often has in connection games, does the first player's first move consist of placing only one of his four rolled dice (and from then on all moves consist of placing two)?

2) The part about the replacement dice always being rolled at the end of a turn, does that mean that the dice you can choose from to play on your next turn are predetermined and known to both players before your next turn (i.e., "open hands")? From my reading of the the rules, that seems to be the case. If true, that also seems like a great mechanic for planning and reduction of luck.

3) Is it possible and legal for opposite edge winning lines to have diagonal only connections within them? My interpretation of a later addition to the wording of the original rules that I saw on a geek list here is that this is indeed possible and legal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Corliss
United States
Portland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The website has been out of business for a while

The way I play now is on a home built board. I built one 14x14 which better mitigates lucky rolls. You can get cheap dice at the dollar store (when in stock).

Other answers:
1) correct
2) The game is played with open hands. You replace the played dice at the end of the turn for better planning (as you mentioned) as well as being able to reason about your turn when it isn't your move.
3) The path to determine edge-to-edge connection can have diagonal connections. The game-design reason for this is that this prevents stalemate games. Assuming you have enough dice, there should never be a stalemate.

Let me know if you have any more questions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your answers, Benjamin! I am looking forward to playing.

Regarding where to play online, if I were you, I would definitely contact:

Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Boardspace.net is an excellent site and Dave is constantly adding new games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Where can I get a complete set of rules for the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.