Peter Belocas
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What order works best for game play in getting these? I'd hate to get say a Lieutenant that is not going to be used for sometime while another is part of the early game play. If I had a pecking order then I can pick them up as I can afford. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Chambliss
United States
Phenix City
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am seeking out info on this as well. For LTs, I found that this link helps me see what expansion they came with. http://descent2e.wikia.com/wiki/Lieutenant

there is someone who know better than i though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Belocas
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatchet Jack wrote:
I am seeking out info on this as well. For LTs, I found that this link helps me see what expansion they came with. http://descent2e.wikia.com/wiki/Lieutenant

there is someone who know better than i though

That is a great help with the Lieutenants, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voidreturn
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
As someone who owns all of the content this is the recommendation I would make:

1) Buy what looks fun
2) Prefer the large boxes, then the small boxes, then the hero and monster collections, then the lieutenant packs.

An important rule to note regarding the lieutenant packs is that their deck cannot be used in the campaign in which their story takes place. That is, Splig's deck cannot be used in the base game (which means you cannot summon Splig in the base game).

Every lieutenant's deck plays differently. If you know what play style you prefer or what type of tactic you want from the plot deck, I can make recommendations.

Personally, I buy them all because the plastic mini is much better than the cardboard token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Some of the Lt.s are pretty poor compared to others. I would say buy them for the minis if you want them, and find one or two for plot decks you might use.

As the guy who plays OL most of the time the monster packs (or the conversion kit) are essential. Giants are the best big monster in the game, IMO.

Big box expansions are top notch. I was very unimpressed by Manor of Ravens, but the other two are OK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vespino Robert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
voidreturn wrote:

An important rule to note regarding the lieutenant packs is that their deck cannot be used in the campaign in which their story takes place. That is, Splig's deck cannot be used in the base game (which means you cannot summon Splig in the base game).

This is not true: all plot decks can be used in all campaigns.

However, it is true that the Summon card (1 of the 10 cards in any given plot deck) cannot be used under certain circumstances. For most that is simply not in a quest that features that lieutenant, but for Baron Zachareth, Raythen, Serena, Queen Ariad and a couple of others (not sure on the Nerekhall ones, don't have them) that is not in any quests of certain campaigns. (But you can still use the other, generally more useful, cards in the plot deck.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voidreturn
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Vespinito wrote:
voidreturn wrote:

This is not true: all plot decks can be used in all campaigns.

However, it is true that the Summon card (1 of the 10 cards in any given plot deck) cannot be used under certain circumstances. For most that is simply not in a quest that features that lieutenant, but for Baron Zachareth, Raythen, Serena, Queen Ariad and a couple of others (not sure on the Nerekhall ones, don't have them) that is not in any quests of certain campaigns. (But you can still use the other, generally more useful, cards in the plot deck.)

That's true. Generally, I wouldn't consider the plot deck unless I could summon the lieutenant, so I was unclear on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Baxendale
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
voidreturn wrote:

That's true. Generally, I wouldn't consider the plot deck unless I could summon the lieutenant, so I was unclear on that.

Aside from where you're restricted from using the agent in the whole campaign (e.g. Zachareth in Shadowrune) you can still use the agent in any quest where they don't appear as a lieutenant. Since you're not necessarily going to be summoning your agent every quest it may not be an issue if they only can't be used in one or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pigasos15 pigasos15
Greece
Oropos
ΑΤΤΙΚΙ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rejusu wrote:
voidreturn wrote:

Aside from where you're restricted from using the agent in the whole campaign (e.g. Zachareth in Shadowrune) you can still use the agent in any quest where they don't appear as a lieutenant. Since you're not necessarily going to be summoning your agent every quest it may not be an issue if they only can't be used in one or two.

Its very clear : on the plot card that introduce a lieteunant as an agent, states clearly when this CAN'T happen.Most of the times you cannot use lieutenants as agents in a QUEST where they exist already as lieutenants (make sense). Zachareth is an exception as he is very important so you cannot use him as an agent in the core campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is quite a bit of misinformation in this thread regarding the lieutenant packs. So to be perfectly clear:

- all available plot decks can be used in any campaign.
- Agents can not be summoned in any quest where that agent would appear as a lieutenant. Note that agents and lieutenants are not the same.
- The main vilain of a campaign (ie Zachareth in the Shadow Rune, Queen Ariad in Labyrinth of ruin, and Mirklace in Shadows of Nerekhall) cannot be summoned during that respective campaign.
- The miniatures can of course always be used whenever that agent or lieutenant appears

I would personally advise to get at least 1 lieutenant pack when you start your first campaign. Simply because the plot decks make the game a lot more interesting for the overlord and gives him more options.

We played 2 full campaigns with the basegame before we added a (small) expansion. Now, we begin our 4th quest with Shadows of Nerekhall. Feel free to get any expansion you please. But in our opinion, the base game was enough to keep us entertained for a while. (albeit a bit low on monsters, though...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Star
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought I'd ask here rather than making a new topic

Just how do these expansions work? All I have currently is the core game for 2nd edition. I understand there are big expansions which are full campaigns so I'll hold off on those for now.

If I get small expansions - side quests, lieutenants etc. do they find ways to balance whether my friends are in act 1 or act 2?

After completing this main campaign, if we were to start a new one - do my friends get to keep their characters or do they have to restart?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jonathan,

As you said the big box expansions contain a brand new campaign, new monsters, new heroes, new classes, new items, etc, etc. I would recommend holding off on those until you have played the base game campaign a least once.

Small box expansions contain 5-7 quests which can either be played as a "mini-campaign" or incorporated into the main campaign as separate quests. This works using so-called "rumor cards" which the overlord may play. He then introduces a new quest which is available to the heroes. Naturally, there are both act 1 and act 2 quests availble.

Lieutenant packs add a new deck of cards for the overlord and a threat-mechanic with which to use those cards. Personally I think it is good to get at least one of those, because it gives more options to the overlord.

If you start a new campaign, all characters start fresh. So, no yo do not get to keep your skils and items between multiple campaigns.
This is actually a good thing as it allows you to pick a differnent character, have someone else be overlord and change things up a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.