Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Wilson
United States
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a few games so far, and I am confused about one thing: why do we have lives?

In concept, I understand completely, and think it's a really neat mechanic. If you don't lose lives you get bonus points at the end of the game.

In practice, it has proven to be completely useless. I have never lost a life. My opponents have never lost a life. In fact, none of us have even come close to losing a life... It leads me to one of two conclusions:

1) This game is way too easy
2) We are playing it wrong

It's difficult to tell where exactly we might be going wrong, but I guess I will simply explain a typical encounter and see what you guys think.

My turn begins and I get ambushed by a monster. I defeat said monster and proceed to the next card. If it's a card I can buy I will do so, and if not I might jump it. Either way, I'll end my turn next to a monster, keeping a jump card in my hand for the next round. Next round, I didn't draw enough to defeat the monster, but my single basic jump card is all I need to avoid losing a life... The only strategy you need is to hold onto one jump card for trouble and you will never lose a life. Is this right?

Something else we may be doing wrong is this:

If I jump a monster that is ambushing me, and land in front of another monster, does that one ambush as well? If so, then we have been playing it wrong and I could totally see loss of life as a potential. If not, just keep a jump card... always keep a jump card...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tagmire
United States
Westmont
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Loss of life is rare, but it happens. You cannot jump Mini-Bosses or Bosses, and that is when you may actually lose a life. Things get a bit harder in the expansions too with enemies that cannot be jumped, enemies that you have to pay cards when jumping, etc..

EDIT: I forgot to address the second part. Once you resolve the first ambush, your ambush phase is over. You can defeat other enemies as you would like. The only exception is if you are playing with the 2-4 Advance Mode card that states "Bosses Always Ambush". In that event, you may have an out of phase ambush that needs to be resolved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wilson
United States
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason,

Thank you for the reply! It always makes me happy when a game designer responds to questions; it shows a great deal of commitment and dedication to their game, as well as the community

While I have you "on the line" here, I had a question regarding some of the expansions, and what we can expect to see.

I love so many of the ideas and mechanics in Pixel Lincoln, yet there seems to be a lack of diversity between characters and bosses. Will the bosses, mini bosses, and characters have any distinguishing abilities to them in the expansions? It could go a long way to increase replay value if they had some abilities to make them unique from each other. As it stands, I am on the fence as to wether I will buy any expansions or not, and some insight into what you have in store for us would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and keep the great ideas coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tagmire
United States
Westmont
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Hey Brandon, no problem! Happy to answer questions here.

The 4 Re-Election expansions offer a lot of variety. Almost every character is unique and there is also an entirely different class of character now, Voting Characters. They provides votes (and mess with Votes) giving bonus points at the end.

Bosses and Mini-Bosses have a wider variety of power, and also have Meat Power cards that come out giving them resistance to certain card types.

The 12 new enemies and 13 new items are all 100% unique and do not share abilities with each other or with the existing ones.

Plus there are a few other new types of cards (Environments, Save Files, Alternate Checkpoints, Advanced Modes, etc..).

There's a lot of variety in these 4 expansions, and it'll change the game up quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wilson
United States
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well then, you have MY vote!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.