Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Kindt
United States
Kirkwood
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I scoring this game wrong, or is it almost everybody else who posts here?

The rules read that the investment card multiplies the value of an expedition (so a 25 point expedition minus the 20 point overhead is a 5 point net profit, multiplied by 2, 3, or 4 for 1, 2, or 3 investment cards, respectively) and adds 20 to the net profit if the expedition included eight or more cards.

What I see missing from all the scoring guide helps on the site are the other thing the rule mentions regarding the investment cards and that is they each also add a point to the total. Am I reading this rule wrong, or are there tons of people (seemingly) missing this altogether?

Example. I play one Atlantis investment card then the 5, the 9, and the 10 Atlantis cards. It scores as

+24 points of cards played
=
4 subtotal
x2 for investment card multiplier
=
8 subsubtotal
+1 for the investment card
=
9 total

(I have the KOSMOS English language rules in a version I just bought last week.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kindt
United States
Kirkwood
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the reply, but I still wonder from your analysis if this means you should add a point to the total. Why say x2 or x3 or x4 and also say +1 in reference to the investment cards? It seems that the investment card is meant to multiply the subtotal (arriving at -15 in your example) and then add a point (making the total -14 in your example), as if the investment card itself has a value of 1, in addition to the multiplier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BibKamp318
Belgium
Beerse [near Turnhout]
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremiah is correct > no additional +1
The investment card apllies to "increasing the multiplying factor" which is standard = 1
1 investment card = standard multiplying factor 1 + 1 = 2
2 investment cards = standard multiplying factor 1 + 2 = 3
3 investment cards = standard multiplying factor 1 + 3 = 4

And yes, the multiplying factor applies to both excess as deficit points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kindt
United States
Kirkwood
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it! Between a combination of the above replies (thanks!) and re-reading the rules as printed twice, I finally understand the intent behind the phrasing "The player then multiplies the value of each of his expeditions...by the number of investment cards he played on that expedition plus 1." I was interpreting the "by the number" to mean if 1 then x2, if 2 then x3, etc., as explained elsewhere, and then "plus 1" meaning add 1 to the result. The phrasing is awkward. I can see the meaning now--the clincher was doing the math on the total possible values for any expedition (-80 to 156), which clearly has no +1, etc. added to the multiplied bonus. (I understood the negative values happen if the outlay of cards is not over 20 or more, just not the plus 1.)

Sheesh. I teach high school English...I am pointing the finger at the rule-writer. Why not just state, "The multiplier will be 2, 3, or 4, when the number of investment cards is 1, 2, or 3, respectively" and leave it at that! Otherwise, the "elaboration" can be (and was by me) read as additional information, not just another way of putting it. Or, heck, throw in an "in other words" in between the two explanations! Anyway, got it. Thank you all! I love the game, and none of the times I have played with my wife have the games been decided by a handful of points...usually she kicks my butt--although the last time I wipe her out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.