Popular Tags: [View All]
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the rules say: you can ONLY reinforce locations that you can trace a series of connections via controlled locations from either Quebec or Boston. These connections may be made by river, lake, road and sea. Indian trails do not count as connections for this purpose.

I would like to give the following examples to ask questions:

1. I start a siege in Fort Beausejour (no ship symbol, no road, lake or river connections) with 1 military, and for my second action I play one more military symbol. The spot was not fortified. This gives the attacker a strength siege of 1.

What the hell happens next? No one is connected to this location by any of the methods listed, so no one can reinforce the siege, correct?

2. Same as above, but the attacker has 2 strength. On his next turn he will automatically win since no one else can change the siege correct?

3. I'm the British and have Louisbourg (yay!). I start a siege in Trois Riverieres (no ship symbol) and end my turn with 1 strength. French don't add. Next turn, I am NOT connected as far as I can tell and can't add, correct?

TIA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico
Italy
Val di Non
Trentino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jayjonbeach wrote:
So the rules say: you can ONLY reinforce locations that you can trace a series of connections via controlled locations from either Quebec or Boston. These connections may be made by river, lake, road and sea. Indian trails do not count as connections for this purpose.

1. I start a siege in Fort Beausejour (no ship symbol, no road, lake or river connections) with 1 military, and for my second action I play one more military symbol. The spot was not fortified. This gives the attacker a strength siege of 1.

What the hell happens next? No one is connected to this location by any of the methods listed, so no one can reinforce the siege, correct?

2. Same as above, but the attacker has 2 strength. On his next turn he will automatically win since no one else can change the siege correct?

3. I'm the British and have Louisbourg (yay!). I start a siege in Trois Riverieres (no ship symbol) and end my turn with 1 strength. French don't add. Next turn, I am NOT connected as far as I can tell and can't add, correct?

TIA

In the second edition don't both Fort Beausejour and Trois Rivieres have a ship symbol on the map?

See this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fede__ wrote:
jayjonbeach wrote:

TIA

In the second edition don't both Fort Beausejour and Trois Rivieres have a ship symbol on the map?

See this thread.

Great find thanks for this. I looked at the FAQ under Sieges and seen nothing there, turns out it was listed under Supply.

Now I wonder what is the best way to actually play the game, as apparently there are now 3 options:

1. Play rules and map as printed in 1st, no reinforcing those spots.

2. Play like the FAQ indicates, you can reinforce those 2 spots but NOT with ships.

3. Play you can reinforce and with ships.

I would tend to agree with the general consensus of the thread that this is likely significant to the balance of the game potentially, and it makes me wonder if the 2 spots were intended that way from the start or if it was an error in printing. (or later thought of as another design flub, it would seem the later since in the rules the ship is also missing from Trois Rivieres so definitely looks intentional)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico
Italy
Val di Non
Trentino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jayjonbeach wrote:
Now I wonder what is the best way to actually play the game, as apparently there are now 3 options:

2. Play like the FAQ indicates, you can reinforce those 2 spots but NOT with ships.

I would tend to agree with the general consensus of the thread that this is likely significant to the balance of the game potentially, and it makes me wonder if the 2 spots were intended that way from the start or if it was an error in printing. (or later thought of as another design flub, it would seem the later since in the rules the ship is also missing from Trois Rivieres so definitely looks intentional)

I'd say that Fort Beausejour should have a ship symbol. After all it is accessible from Gaspe and it seems to be close to the sea.

For Trois Rivieres, I think it would probably be better if it didn't have one and it wasn't accessible by the British from Louisbourg. But both options have their pros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jayjonbeach wrote:
Fede__ wrote:
jayjonbeach wrote:

TIA

See this thread.

Great find thanks for this. I looked at the FAQ under Sieges and seen nothing there, turns out it was listed under Supply.

Well, part of the problem is that the FAQ predates the 2nd ed. rules, so it's hard to say if everything in the FAQ is meant to apply to 2nd ed.

Still, I think in the absence of any official word from the designer, we have assume that the ruling from the FAQ does indeed apply. At least this is how it's being played on yucata. In other words, Ft. Beausejour and Trois Rivieres are treated as having a ship symbol for supply, but not for being able to use ships in a siege. In a sense then, the 1st ed. and 2nd ed. boards are both misprinted, just in different ways.

I sent an email to treefrog a while back, but haven't heard anything. Maybe if more people try to contact them, we can get an official word from Mr. Wallace on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colonel Williamson

Princeton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Aristotle
mbmbmbmbmb
Noahboa wrote:
jayjonbeach wrote:
Fede__ wrote:
jayjonbeach wrote:

TIA

See this thread.

Well, part of the problem is that the FAQ predates the 2nd ed. rules, so it's hard to say if everything in the FAQ is meant to apply to 2nd ed.

Still, I think in the absence of any official word from the designer, we have assume that the ruling from the FAQ does indeed apply. At least this is how it's being played on yucata. In other words, Ft. Beausejour and Trois Rivieres are treated as having a ship symbol for supply, but not for being able to use ships in a siege. In a sense then, the 1st ed. and 2nd ed. boards are both misprinted, just in different ways.

I sent an email to treefrog a while back, but haven't heard anything. Maybe if more people try to contact them, we can get an official word from Mr. Wallace on this.

Has there EVER been a resolution to these questions or an updated FAQ???

Thanks,

M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.