Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Gray
United States
Astoria
OR
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is how I store my collection.

I am looking for a more convenient way to store my games that is relatively cheap (I don't have a huge gaming budget).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I use:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_71034-80752-184874C-DS_4294857717__?...|0&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_price|0%26page%3D1&facetInfo=

Basic 'wire' shelves

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
IsaacTheGray wrote:
This is how I store my collection.

I am looking for a more convenient way to store my games that is relatively cheap (I don't have a huge gaming budget).
Anti-gravity shelves seem like an excellent idea, can can just store them on the ceiling in any room!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikea has some great selections. I use Ivar shelving, which is 19" deep, but many like shelving that's only 12" deep. The units are modular. You can look at it when you come into Portland. The store is by the airport.

Another storage solution that I use are 12 gallon totes. You can get them at Costco for about $7 apiece. I use them to store games that are in the garage or in the attic. They' are stackable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do believe the general consensus is that Ikea's Kallax is the best fit for board games. Units come in various sizes and colours, and you can even attach a table directly to the shelves.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10275862/#/102758...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Kallax, I like it particularly for the square box type. The draws and baskets are good for mini games. For "coffin" cases like agricola I prefer a billy bookcase as you can store them oriented vertically and it creates a nice visual effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kallax is great, however, it's not cheap by any means cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think cheap was why we did this in college and later apartment living.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
bltzlfsk wrote:
I think cheap was why we did this in college and later apartment living.

LOL,

That looks like what my wife and I use for our entertainment center for the first 5 years of marriage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Weber
United States
Coal Valley
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
I really just love games
mbmbmbmbmb
IsaacTheGray wrote:

Check out Ana White's website. The cheapest shelf is truly the one you build yourself. I built the puzzle shelf following directions on her site. Very easy to follow her directions.

As well if you Google around you can find DIY groups that rent/loan equipment. Also Home Depot will rent out equipment.

My puzzle shelf was $30-40 total. And it looks great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not derailing, but I was thinking about the storage tub solution and thought, if I start putting my games in tubs that is not good. No offense to the OP, every person has a different kind of game collection. For me though, if I start tubbing stuff I should just sell those because obviously they aren't getting played any time soon.

My shelves are the kind that sit on the metal brackets, just buy the rails that go on the wall, the brackets of the size you need, and the wooden boards that rest on them in the size you need. It wasn't expensive when we put it up. Does ruin the wall though so if you are in an apartment that might not be a solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Pressley
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Guantanamo wrote:
I use:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_71034-80752-184874C-DS_4294857717__?...|0&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_price|0%26page%3D1&facetInfo=

Basic 'wire' shelves

Does the wire shelving damage the bottom of the game box directly sitting on the wires, especially with the weight of other stacked games pressing down on it? That's my fear. I recently rearranged our study, putting books only on the bookcases, while all the games got kicked to the floor of the guest bedroom. My wife picked up some wire shelving for the games, but I'm hesitant to move the games onto them. Anyone have problems with wire shelving?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley
United States
Ball
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pauljackson wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:
I use:

Basic 'wire' shelves

Does the wire shelving damage the bottom of the game box directly sitting on the wires, especially with the weight of other stacked games pressing down on it? That's my fear. I recently rearranged our study, putting books only on the bookcases, while all the games got kicked to the floor of the guest bedroom. My wife picked up some wire shelving for the games, but I'm hesitant to move the games onto them. Anyone have problems with wire shelving?

I just got one of those myself and I am somewhat worried about that. Obviously if you just store things on their sides that's not a problem. I'm wondering if I can find a very thin piece of wood to line the shelves with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike C
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stored the entire gaming collection for Teton Con on wire shelving, with absolutely no damage to the bottoms, some are stacked 5 high on the shelves. I've since switched to wooden shelves, but not for concerns of damaging the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboard boxes full of all manner of stuff have been stored and shipped on pallets with various gap dimensions. The only thing to worry about is a stray nail or screw popping up. If the wire racks still scare you, a layer of more cardboard can be cut to fit. Corrugated, for the truly obsessive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.