44 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Cynder Preview: rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gavin Downing
msg tools
So I just got home from the preview of Cynder at Cafe Mox. Please note that they are still playtesting the scenario, so this is all subject to change.

Cynder is loads of fun. SO MUCH FIRE. I spent most of the time in Cynder on fire.

The basic rules for Cynder are that at the start of every turn, heroes take 1 hit for every article of clothing equipment they're wearing, but they gain +1 max Grit while there.

But in addition to this, many squares in the room tiles have lava. Lava squares have a small number noted: 2+ for areas with just a little lava, or 5+ with a lot of lava, etc. When you enter a square like this, you need to roll a die against that target number, or you'll get 1d3 Burning markers. (A high enough agility makes it easier, but none of us had a high enough agility, so I don't recall how that mechanic worked.)

At the start of each of your turns, remove a single Burning token, and take 2 damage, ignoring your defense. I had burning tokens on me for most of the game, thanks to loads of lava. Enemies could get burning tokens, too, if you push them into a lava-square (though they can move through them on their own without penalty. Dynamite landing in a lava square will splatter lava, dealing 1 damage (ignoring defense) to all figures on the tile.

I caught a couple of the artifacts from Cynder, too, such as the Faustian jar. At any time, the wielder can spend 1 Grit to pass any or all Corruption points into the jar, then roll a D8. If a 1 is rolled, the jar explodes, and all corruption goes back to the owner. But the more points put into it, the more it will sell for. There was also a flaming sword and a flaming whip (the latter requiring a very high Agility), which give burning tokens to their target.

We also fought the Lava Men and the Harvesters. The Lava Men ignore critical hits from ranged attacks, they have a moderately high defense (3, I think), and about 10 health or so. They also heal a point of damage each turn for each lava square they are adjacent to. And their attack rolls of 6 give a burning token.

The Harvesters are AMAZINGLY fun enemies. They are INSANELY tough (immune to critical attacks, defense 5, 4 health). 2 attack dice, 4 damage. When they roll doubles for their attacks, though, they get an additional effect, such as healing (on 1s), venting void energy, or, on double-6's, you don't get to defend against their attacks (so, yeah, I took 8 damage in one round due to those brutes).

In the end, most of our heroes (my Rancher, a priest, a lawman, and a gunslinger) were seriously injured, and the lawman was KO'ed in the very last round of combat. But we survived, and conquered!

That's what I can recall. Any questions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds great and "crispengray", well the writing was on the wallwhistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. Nice to hear that the new Otherworlds have even more unique effects then the base game ones. And also good there's some interesting new abilities on the enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Cartwright
Australia
Gordon Park
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bring on Wave 1.5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cotton Donkey
Canada
Milton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Pics! Or it didn't happen!
(jk)

Sounds awesome! The last 2 games I've played, I went from the mines to Jargono to Targa. (the other game was Targa to Jargono)

Can't wait to start throwing Other Otherworlds in, as well as, well...everything else! (Threats, encounters, heroes, etc.)

I'm just afraid I'll be overwhelmed with the awesomeness of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to all the new enemies for each Otherworld. There's a ton of them for the base games like the lizardmen and dino for jungle. And the mech stuff for the city. I hope some of that stuff comes with wave 1.5 so we can spruce up the encounters. And all the custom mine encounter rooms/minis.

Just amazing content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Mara
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of wave 1.5, when is that supposed to ship? I thought they were holding everything for a wave 2 at the end of next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Warhammer wrote:
Speaking of wave 1.5, when is that supposed to ship? I thought they were holding everything for a wave 2 at the end of next year.

You had to pay an additional $40 to get extra Wave 1.5 shipment. As I understand in 6 months they will ship what they have done at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
msg tools
Oh, I forgot to note. Other enemies of Cynder included cynder-bats (which swipe people into lava when they can), and ghostly hungry dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
msg tools
Pictures were allowed, and there may be some official pictures posted later. I didn't take any, because they didn't have a big display case of new miniatures or anything. Just the Darkstone brutes, the Lava men, and the Harvesters were there outside of the base sets, and those were prototype quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thanks Gavin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Cartwright
Australia
Gordon Park
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
General_Warhammer wrote:

You had to pay an additional $40 to get extra Wave 1.5 shipment. As I understand in 6 months they will ship what they have done at that point.

I think Wave 1.5 was stated as being Jan/Feb... so probably March/April

EDIT: We do not have a firm date on when this optional Wave 1.5 will ship out, but the plan is to have it at a mid-way point between Wave 1 and Wave 2, most likely starting to ship out sometime around March/April 2015.

So... May/June
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh to be tired of my base game and waiting some fresh input

Sounds like some great ideas though making the otherworld unique. Interested to see what Trederra brings up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noshrok Grimskull
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Wreckers don't call for backup, they call for cleanup!
mbmbmbmb
Sounds awesome!

I loved the concept of Cynder right from the start and I like what you're saying.
Can't wait to get it to the table ... bring on Wave 2.
(Didn't pay for 1.5, because $100 for me!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
crispengray wrote:
(A high enough agility makes it easier, but none of us had a high enough agility, so I don't recall how that mechanic worked.)

In the end, most of our heroes (my Rancher, a priest, a lawman, and a gunslinger) were seriously injured, and the lawman was KO'ed in the very last round of combat. But we survived, and conquered!

High Enough Agility would be some number 4+ then [Gunslinger has 3]. So only the Saloon Girl so far might qualify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dahak wrote:
crispengray wrote:
(A high enough agility makes it easier, but none of us had a high enough agility, so I don't recall how that mechanic worked.)

High Enough Agility would be some number 4+ then [Gunslinger has 3]. So only the Saloon Girl so far might qualify.

Keep in mind that after a few play throughs, Heroes can level and gain Agility and there are some items that provide extra Agility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harvesters? Were they shown during the campaign?

Thanks for the write-up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
msg tools
Shoogoo wrote:

We fought them! They were BRUTAL, but a ton of fun, too!

One thing which Jason mentioned to me regarding the Harvesters? Since they invade other worlds, in addition to normal threat cards for them, they ALSO come with cards for each of the Otherworld threat decks. They're all over the place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds amazing! Thanks for the report. I really can't wait for this. Months...??!! cry

crispengray wrote:
Enemies could get burning tokens, too, if you push them into a lava-square (though they can move through them on their own without penalty.

How you do you push enemies?

Quote:
Any questions?

Were you playing 1st level characters?

Was there any official comment on other monsters or new heroes that will definitely be in wave 1.5?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crispengray wrote:
One thing which Jason mentioned to me regarding the Harvesters? Since they invade other worlds, in addition to normal threat cards for them, they ALSO come with cards for each of the Otherworld threat decks. They're all over the place.

Well that's really cool! I hope they do this with some of the other monsters too. Those Targa and Jargono threat decks are awfully small at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harvestors were one of the stretch goals in the KS campaign.

Thanks for the write up BTW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoogoo wrote:

Thanks for the write-up!

Update 38

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
Was there any talk of a boxed Cynder Expansion set and what it might contain? Not that I expect Kickstarter folks to get things boxed into set from now on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
msg tools
Rubric wrote:
How you do you push enemies?

Were you playing 1st level characters?

Was there any official comment on other monsters or new heroes that will definitely be in wave 1.5?

Certain abilities let you push enemies back. I think the Saloon Girl has an ability that does that, for example.

We were playing entirely first-level characters, though we did fight elite Harvesters and an elite Lavaman for the final fight. (The Elite Lavaman did extra damage for every corruption point or mutation you had, while the Harvesters would get sucked back into the Void upon defeat, hitting everyone with corruption as they did so. As a result, we knew we had to kill the Lavaman first, since killing the Harvesters first could potentially make the Lavaman nastier.)

No real statements as to what's done sooner than others. I can tell you that I saw the finished full-color art for the Lost Army (including the Hell Cannon;they look amazing), the Lavamen, the Harvesters, the Darkstone Hydra (looking nasty!), the Flesh Stalker (chilling!), and the Dark Stone Brutes (I also glanced at their stats; they also look fun).

Though I will note that when Jason said that "high enough Agility" could move across lava squares more easily, he noted, as an example, "the saloon girl or the orphan." That does suggest the Orphan is one of the classes that may be getting close to complete.

Real quick note on the Dark Stone Brutes: I didn't fight them, so I can't recall their stats so well. What I do recall is that they, too, are immune to critical hits, but when you damage them, you have a chance to pick up some darkstone that gets shattered off their bodies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the idea of extra die rolling for each square I walk into. Enough die rolling as it is.

I thought during the KS they mentioned that different monsters would have different targeting abilities (as oppossed to close in on the nearest hero and melee).

Did you see anything like that?

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.