Sean Burns
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I just opened my 2/3 Reprint and am getting ready for an Epic stickering session. However, going through the Rulebook, Page 2 references "4 Epic Ancients Battles and all the rules needed to conduct a Commands & Colors: Epic Ancients battles which uses two maps and offers larger scale battles." BUT I don't see anything like that anywhere in the rulebook...

Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DerMahler wrote:
Hi all,

I just opened my 2/3 Reprint and am getting ready for an Epic stickering session. However, going through the Rulebook, Page 2 references "4 Epic Ancients Battles and all the rules needed to conduct a Commands & Colors: Epic Ancients battles which uses two maps and offers larger scale battles." BUT I don't see anything like that anywhere in the rulebook...

Am I missing something?
No, I don't think you are missing anything, there is no Epic book (this was a separate book before) included in my edition either. It is not clear if this was intentional or not. The scenarios and rules are on ccancients.net though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
They may have decided not to include them since epic play was replaced by Expansion 5. Must have just missed the reference when printing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it was probably intentional since the 4 scenarios are reprinted in Expansion 5. Even if you had the 4 scenarios that originally came with 3, you would not have the new card deck to do the current Epic setup without 5.

If I were you, I would probably just use the ccancients resources until you are able to pick up the 5th expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it was unintentional to print the original rule book without catching the change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Idiot
Scotland
Manhattan
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh dear. I asked a similar question a while back. If memory serves the scenarios in Epic II are not the same as the ones in this expansion. Cannae is an example. Whilst they are available on ccancients.net the quality of the images is low and I had some difficulty discerning unit types for epic cannae when i ran it. Shame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Burns
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK guys - thanks for the answers. This seems doubly frustrating since CCA:Epic is out of print and wasn't for some strange reason included in the massive recent reprint of CCA and CCN.

Doesn't Epic require special cards?

Also - In my copy the color of the blocks for the Roman army (medium-dark grey) do not match the color of the blocks of the Roman army in the original CCA (light grey). Was this an issue in the past or is this new as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DerMahler wrote:
OK guys - thanks for the answers. This seems doubly frustrating since CCA:Epic is out of print and wasn't for some strange reason included in the massive recent reprint of CCA and CCN.

Doesn't Epic require special cards?

Also - In my copy the color of the blocks for the Roman army (medium-dark grey) do not match the color of the blocks of the Roman army in the original CCA (light grey). Was this an issue in the past or is this new as well?

I believe the original Exp 3 had rules for playing Epic with the regular cards, and it also came with the 4 scenarios. Exp 5 reworked the rules, came with the new cards, and came with 12 new epic scenarios and the original 4. It is too bad that it is not currently available though.

Color mismatch is a prevalent problem across pretty much all printings of all the expansions. It's unfortunate, but if you continue on with this game, you might as well expect more of it to come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Idiot
Scotland
Manhattan
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The original 4 are not in expansion 5 unfortunately

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
littleidiot wrote:
They are in mine. I have 8 double-sided scenario sheets.

Edit: Apparently you are correct that most copies do not come with them. It was a pre-order bonus, but somehow I got them by ordering my copy from GMT directly last year. I did not realize that they were not included in all copies since they came inside the box just like the other scenarios.

Perhaps the plan is to include them in the reprint of 5 since they were left out of 3, but that is too bad for anyone who gets this reprint and is able to snag an older copy of 5 without them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Idiot
Scotland
Manhattan
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
littleidiot wrote:
They are in mine. I have 8 double-sided scenario sheets.

Edit: Apparently you are correct that most copies do not come with them. It was a pre-order bonus, but somehow I got them by ordering my copy from GMT directly last year. I did not realize that they were not included in all copies since they came inside the box just like the other scenarios.

Perhaps the plan is to include them in the reprint of 5 since they were left out of 3, but that is too bad for anyone who gets this reprint and is able to snag an older copy of 5 without them.

You jammy... I am envious!

I am in your 'too bad' category having a the original of 5 and waiting to get a reprint of 2/3.

I want a high quality rendering of Epic Cannae! angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
Brazil
Interior de São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slinkydink wrote:
They may have decided not to include them since epic play was replaced by Expansion 5. Must have just missed the reference when printing.

And I can not see any Expansion 5 on the horizon surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in the meantime, is there an easy way to print them off in Usable/Readable fashion from CCAncients.net?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.