GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,409 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Targi» Forums » General

Subject: A few thoughts after the game with my fiancee rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my wife.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was so excited that I got this in a math trade when it was out of stock. Even though stocks are trickling through again but I was very happy that I got this in a trade.

After tonight's game I did have some question/impression.

1) Why do we run out of VP tokens so fast? I need to use spare coins from another game to substitute for it. It just feel so *ugh* when games do that. (e.g. Manila's coins).

2) Why is gold so scarce? This makes gold good tiles the first one to grab and then trader second and caravan third (trying to chance it). My fiancee strongly dislikes this after the game. Am I playing something wrong?

Thanks for your response.

My rating: 8/10.
My fiancee's rating: 6/10.

Hopefully I am playing something wrong so that it can hit the table again with her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Steiger
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Josh

to 1) that should not happen. Are You collecting the victory points that are printed on the cards also as tokens? If so, You don't do it that way. You just count them from the cards at the end of the game.

to 2) I am sorry to say, but that is the way it should be. In my first prototype version, gold was as easy to get as all the wares (there was a bordercard space for it) and that made the game really less exiting.

But because I created Targi to be played and not that it will set dust on Your shelf, I will offer You two options "officially" from the author how You and Your parner are allowed to play it:

A) start the game with 3 gold instead of 1

or B) take one gold card from the goodscards and place it on a boardercard that shows a ware of Your choice, whenever You place a Targi there You get a gold

hope that will make the game better for You. I call it the Josh variant

Greetings from Germany
Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my wife.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Andy I feel so special for you to answer my questions!meeple

For the VP chips I was taking it from the supply when we complete a tribe card. I should just count them at the end of the game from now on. Haha why didn't I think of that!

I will try starting the game with 3 gold next time and see what will happen and report back. As for the gold card on border variant I can see it will off set the balance of the game too much so I will try with option A first.

Thanks so much once again.

Josh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seisyll W.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be very surprising in your first game that gold is so scarce. But on the second game, I really appreciated that it was that way. Like Andy says, it becomes very exciting.

I would never play this as a couples game - it is too cutthroat for my wife. But it is fantastic to play with friends.

My rating: 10/10!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Benson
United States
Syosset
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seisyll wrote:
It can be very surprising in your first game that gold is so scarce. But on the second game, I really appreciated that it was that way. Like Andy says, it becomes very exciting.

I would never play this as a couples game - it is too cutthroat for my wife. But it is fantastic to play with friends.

My rating: 10/10!

I agree. It's exciting to get a lucky draw of a gold card from the goods deck with the caravan action because they are rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my wife.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Andy,

After a long hiatus we finally gave this game a second go!

1) We don't run out of VP chips now since I don't take VP chips when we build the Tribe cards. This made the game so much more enjoyable since there is less time spent on accounting.

2) We played with the Josh Variant where we started out with 3 gold pieces each person. This had made the game more enjoyable for her as she told me she feels less pressured and also I am not as "mean" when I block her out of gold spots. She even joked about Andy should change the official rule to the Josh Variant for couples.

3) She has now upped her rating to 7.5/10. I am happy I didn't get this game in vain. It looks like it might hit the table again!

Thanks so much for your variant. It means a lot to us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Steiger
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:
Hi Andy,

After a long hiatus we finally gave this game a second go!

1) We don't run out of VP chips now since I don't take VP chips when we build the Tribe cards. This made the game so much more enjoyable since there is less time spent on accounting.

2) We played with the Josh Variant where we started out with 3 gold pieces each person. This had made the game more enjoyable for her as she told me she feels less pressured and also I am not as "mean" when I block her out of gold spots. She even joked about Andy should change the official rule to the Josh Variant for couples.

3) She has now upped her rating to 7.5/10. I am happy I didn't get this game in vain. It looks like it might hit the table again!

Thanks so much for your variant. It means a lot to us.

Great to hear fom You again. That are very good news.
I am very happy that everything worked well for You now and You can finally enjoy the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hunter
Canada
Red Deer
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just like to say that I'm really impressed that the designer of a game cares so much about it that he offered a specific variant for somebody. That is truly fantastic and I have a lot of respect for Andy for doing so.

I've actually just purchased Targi pretty much based on this thread. I was browsing at my FLGS, saw the game on the shelf, recalled this thread and a few positive reviews and jumped at the chance to get it.

I'm looking forward to playing this with son #2 (my main boardgame partner)

So, Andy. Respect. You sold another game due to this variant! I'll play as designed first though!!!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Steiger
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jagger66 wrote:
I would just like to say that I'm really impressed that the designer of a game cares so much about it that he offered a specific variant for somebody. That is truly fantastic and I have a lot of respect for Andy for doing so.

I've actually just purchased Targi pretty much based on this thread. I was browsing at my FLGS, saw the game on the shelf, recalled this thread and a few positive reviews and jumped at the chance to get it.

I'm looking forward to playing this with son #2 (my main boardgame partner)

So, Andy. Respect. You sold another game due to this variant! I'll play as designed first though!!!

Thanks!

Hello Mark

thank You very much for taking the time to write this very nice message here, that means very much to me. I once said in an interview that I would rather sell only 100 copies of Targi but people would play and enjoy them, rather than 5000 that would only stand in a cupboard and get never looked at. And this is truly how I feel, so I try to answer every request and question in that mindset.
Boardgames are meant to be played and meant to be enjoyed, that is true for every game. If it takes some rules to change, so that You can enjoy that game, then that it is a good thing to do. To get played is a boardgames destiny.
My saddest experience with Targi was that right after it was released I gave one copy to my brother in law and his wife. Gaming is such a great quality time for my wife and me and so I hoped that by giving him a game designed by me, a close relative, I could spark his interest. He always talked fond of the game but one year later I found that copy still in shrink wrap, he didn´t even bother to take a tiny look at it. That made me very sad.
One of my nicest experiences was a nice chap that wrote me an Email, that he is a passionate gamer but his wife does not play any games with him, but Targi she plays. And he thanked me very much for that. Stories like this make me so happy cause that was my main reason to creat that game, to bring people to the gaming table together Another person wrote me, he walked to a store and saw Targi and without knowing why he bought it and that purchase turned him into a gamer in the first place
And also Josh story that the new variant helped them to enjoy the game is one of those stories that exite me I also still take care about every review and rating of Targi and hope people enjoy the game and that I was able to bring them a little gaming joy.

So I am truly humbled that You bought Targi because of this thread and truly hope that You and Your son will enjoy the game. How old is he? Which games do You enjoy the most togeher? And please let me know how You liked Targi if You find the time!

Thanks again and have much fun, greetings to Your son
Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hunter
Canada
Red Deer
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great reply, Andy. You continue to earn more respect from me!

My son is 12. I actually have five children, ranging from 4 to 16 years old. They all play board games with me to varying degrees.

As for two player games I play with my 12 year old I would say that Masters Gallery, Arboretum, lost cities, chess, Splendor are the current favourites for the two of us.

I play at numerous player counts though depending on the kids. My 4 year old son loves Camel Up! El Grande, Thebes, and Airlines Europe has been played with the three older kids recently.

I love how we can connect through boardgames, getting them all off the technology all of the time.

I will definitely let you know how it goes with Targi. I'm really looking forward to playing.

Take care,

Mark
Alberta, Canada
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy repeatedly shows himself to be a great credit to our community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Eichenberg
Germany
Bretten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I guess it is time for me to get Targi off of the shelve and onto the table again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my wife.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Andy for all the support you gave to your fans.

I seriously think my fiancee wouldn't have given the game a chance if not for your variant.

I promised her when we were about to play that this variant is less mean.

And it was and it made the game enjoyable.

Oh, and she won. Haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Steiger
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Mark

that is very cool, so You have a whole bunch of gaming partners, that play a great spectrum of games with You

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Steiger
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:
Thanks Andy for all the support you gave to your fans.

I seriously think my fiancee wouldn't have given the game a chance if not for your variant.

I promised her when we were about to play that this variant is less mean.

And it was and it made the game enjoyable.

Oh, and she won. Haha.

maybe that was her plan all along ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to add to the love on this thread.

Yes, Targi is a wonderful game. I've played the game multiple times with my wife (my usual gaming partner) and we both enjoy it. I've also played it with my mom -- who is not normally a gamer -- and she, too, enjoyed it.

But putting the game aside... During my ~5 years as a BGG member, the most thoughtful act any BGG'er has done for me was done by Andy Steiger! So I'm pretty convinced that Andy is an all-around good guy. And I definitely look forward to purchasing his future designs. (Particularly a Targi expansion!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hunter
Canada
Red Deer
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
STOCKBROT wrote:
Hey Mark

that is very cool, so You have a whole bunch of gaming partners, that play a great spectrum of games with You

Thanks Andy.

I played my first game of Targi last night with my eldest son (16 year old).

We thoroughly enjoyed it. Money was tight tight tight but I really like that. Makes it so important to secure. Close game too. I belive I only won by four or five points and I had a training game under my belt so my son played very well.

He rated this a 10 out of 10 right away and said that it is now his favourite two player game!

When are we going to see an expansion, Andy????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Steiger
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jagger66 wrote:
STOCKBROT wrote:
Hey Mark

Thanks Andy.

I played my first game of Targi last night with my eldest son (16 year old).

We thoroughly enjoyed it. Money was tight tight tight but I really like that. Makes it so important to secure. Close game too. I belive I only won by four or five points and I had a training game under my belt so my son played very well.

He rated this a 10 out of 10 right away and said that it is now his favourite two player game!

When are we going to see an expansion, Andy????

That shows Your sons great taste in gaming ;-)

Jokes aside I am really happy that You enjoyed Your first game of Targi and I hope many more interesting matches will follow.
About the state of the expansion there is already another thread:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1255592/now-who-wants-expan...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Steiger
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
STOCKBROT wrote:

My saddest experience with Targi was that right after it was released I gave one copy to my brother in law and his wife. Gaming is such a great quality time for my wife and me and so I hoped that by giving him a game designed by me, a close relative, I could spark his interest. He always talked fond of the game but one year later I found that copy still in shrink wrap, he didn´t even bother to take a tiny look at it. That made me very sad.

By the way in the latest Dicetower podcast number 407 Eric Summerer reads my sad little story as a Tale of Treachery and he reads it in a totally amazing way. The tale starts at 41.35 running time if You are interested in listening in.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1376107/dice-tower-407-repl...

Greetings
Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.