Subject: Expansion Recommendations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
1st: Get Inns & Cathedrals.

This adds a bunch more tiles, but only a couple of extra rules. Easy to mix in and a lot of fun.

2nd: Traders & Builders

This is the other "essential" one, adding a reason to finish others' cities and also a nice new mix of tiles.

Princess & Dragon and Tower make the game a little over-fiddly and a little too long, as well as both making the game a bit more cutthroat.

Of the small ones, we bought King & Scout, but only use the new tiles, not the King and Robber bonuses or the extra rules.

The Count didn't feel right.

The River II is worth having, especially as it ties in with the first two expansions.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Toups
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were pretty happy to pick up Traders and Builders first...but that one or Inns and Cathedrals...both are great.

River II and King and Scout are both good, and cheap. We played with the King and Robber Baron the last time, and both added to the game.

Haven't tried Towers or Princess and Dragon yet.
-Zach

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Toups
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll also point out that P&D and Towers will both make the game a little more cutthroat. Since I normally just play with my wife, cutthroat is not something we enjoy...

We do like dragons though...so we might have to get that one before too long...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Check out my geeklist . . .
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/16450

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Princess and Dragon seemed too random and too fiddly. I liked The Tower, though, and I think it worked well with the game. I'd use it with Inns and Cathedrals, at least, just to increase the rarity of the towers.

I have all nine, so my ratings:
Inns and Cathedrals: On the upside, it enhances Carcassonne without changing it much. On the downside, it doesn't change Carcassonne much. You only need it if you're finding that the game isn't big enough/is ending too quickly, or if you want 6 players.

Traders and Builders: I wasn't really impressed, I found that the Pigs really made the game focus more on just getting a huge farm, and the Trade Goods weren't worth enough points to be worth worrying about. The Builders, though, were nice.

The River II: You'll get The River with your set, and it's a great way to start the game. You only really need The River II if you pick up a few expansions, since until then, the city isn't big enough to really need the longer river.

Princess and Dragon: Fiddly rules abound! The Fairy, the Dragon, Magic Gates, etc...I think a game of just Carcassonne and Princess and Dragon would be great fun, but it would be a very different game. I don't think this one mixes with the base game too well.

King & Scout: Another one where I'd only use it if it's only being added to the base game. Otherwise, the point bonus for controlling either the King or Robber Baron can be massive. And, of course, the Scout tiles for Hunters and Gatherers are meaningless.

The Count: I really enjoyed this one - it gives you a reason to complete features for others. I felt it added a great edge to Carcassonne, and cheap, too!

The Tower: I liked this one, but it does make for a more cutthroat game. Once people start understanding where the 'danger zones' are, it makes for some very interesting decisions and positioning. And the concept of ransoming meeples is just fun!

The Cathars: A rare expansion from the Carcassonne Almanac. These 4 tiles spice up the game a bit, by mixing up the point values for cities and farms, but I don't think you need to spend the $9 to get them.

Hmm, feels like I'm missing something. Well, there you go. If you like basic Carcasonne, I'd recommend Inns and Cathedrals and The Count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.