Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Keyes
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Are the expansions really worth the money? i enjoy the regular M44, but i'm hesitant to go throwing money around on the expansions and the extra board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Sais
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the expansions at a discount, so for me it was well worth the purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my favourite game, so every expansion haas definitely been worth it. Your mileage may vary depending on how satisfied you are with the base game and much you appreciate moving the battle to Stalingrad or Guam or Kursk. It's all good. Buy 'em!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten every expansion and found all of them to be worthwhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the_grip wrote:
Are the expansions really worth the money? i enjoy the regular M44, but i'm hesitant to go throwing money around on the expansions and the extra board.

Memoir '44 and its expansions are easily among my favorites. I have double of everything to play Overlord games when folks want.

But if I were hesitant about getting even the first expansion, I wouldn't do it. The reason is that the game doesn't change but a little. Mainly, you're just getting more variety among the things you're playing with. That's enough for me, but I know that's not reason enough for others.

Try to find a friend that already has a copy of one of the expansions to see if it's the sort of thing you want to spend money on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Siebel
Germany
Schwalbach
flag msg tools
mbmb
By now I own the first three expansions (if you count the winter/desert board) and I am surely going to
get the Pacific expansion as well. However, with both 'real' expansions I have some points which are annoying (although I consider the expansions well worth the money! )

- There are a lot of new features, especially in the terrain expansion, but only a very small sample of scenarios come with the sets utilising only a small fraction of the newly introduced terrains. Unfortunately, also on the DoW webpage there are only few to none official scenarios which make use of these new features. So, especially the Terrain expansion is mostly for those who like to make their own scenarios.

- Something aesthetically extremely annoying point for me is that in the Eastern front expansion there are no
tiles for snowy hills. If you go all the way of producing tiles which only differ from the standard tiles by the snowy appearence and you even produce a new gameboard which just differs in colour from the original one, all this for aesthetics reasons, I think it is **extremely** annoying, that in most scenarios you will find the green patches of the hills. Why they left out a terrain type as common as hills from the snow design is completely beyond me.

Otherwise I would say: Great additions to a great game, go ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sigurdur Gunnarsson
Iceland
Seltjarnarnes
flag msg tools
I agree with the guy complaining about the lack of winter hills. I have all the expansions and there is all sort of funky terrain in there that never gets used but no winter hills!
They also omitted any desert hills but instead give you a bunch of desert forests! I don't think there was much battle in desert forests in WW2 so I don't get this.

I would recommend the Eastern and Pacific expansions because it's nice to get those additional armies and there is also some useful terrain in there.
The terrain expansion I have hardly used at all. It seems DoW did not put much thought into it, especially the desert part. In my opinion they should have just made this 1st expansion a desert expansion with British troops included. The way it ended up is more like some sort of commando scenario making kit with lighthouses, damns and that kind of stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aniquilación Emocional
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have the Eastern Front Expansion, which I consider a must buy, and the Desert/Winter Board that could have been less expensive or included aditional terrain tiles because 10 $ for that is too much. Maybe a pack with the board and the Terrain Expansion would have been fair and economic.
I suppose that Pacific expansion is great as well, but I´ve read that the scenarios included are very few. I´ll buy it anyway.

If I could buy only one expansion for economical reasons I´ll go for Eastern Front or the Pacific one, you get tons of minis and new tiles and rules (such a snipers, minefields and the kommisar rule in the first, Gung Ho and japanese war doctrines in the latter, all of them pretty interesting), if you don´t mind to play winter battles in a green/grass french landscape board, of course...
As somebody previously pointed, if you plan to design your own scenarios, the terrain pack is mandatory.

Hope this helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Like others have mentioned, if you have hesitation, then maybe teh expansion aren't for you. However, if you like the game a lot, I would recommned them. Not only do you get the extra tiles, you also get the extra armies and rules sets. i feel they game has been enhanced and I got my money's worth out of all the expansions.

As mentioned, the scenarioes are a bit lacking. Only 4 new ones with the Terrain Pack. However, there are unlimited amounts of Scenarios from the Front on the DOW website and a few authors are excellent. DOW has also committed to publishing more scenarios in the very near future.

I guess the better question is, why are you hesitant on buying the expansions? Is it a money issue? A question about the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Keyes
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
BrianMola wrote:
I guess the better question is, why are you hesitant on buying the expansions? Is it a money issue? A question about the base game?

Money mainly... not a lack thereof, but i have an enormous wish list of games in my head, and, while these expansions do look nice, i'm trying to justify them.

However, that said, they do sound appealing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider both the Pacific and Eastern expansions to be must buys if you enjoy the game at all. The scenarios that come in the base game just are not up to the standards of the scenarios in the expansions either in balance or in number of pieces on the board. The Stalingrad scenario, the night attack scenario, and the Finnish scenarios are the three that we really enjoy.

Stalingrad because it is so intense and has always been close (except for the one time I taught a newbie on Stalingrad by his insistance, a predictably short game). The night attack scenario in the Pacific campaign has a great atmosphere because the American player can't react as well with their artillery and tanks until daylight comes, which makes every game play out differently based on how fast day comes. The Finnish scenario is a favorite because it's one of the only radial scenarios where the battle lines aren't drawn horizontally but are kind of everywhere at once.

The sniper & engineer rules in Eastern and the Marine and Japanese rules in Pacific are also much more interesting tha n the vanilla that is the base game. It also doesn't hurt that I have little to no interest in the Western fronts of WWII and lots of interest in the Pacific and Eastern fronts. But that doesn't change that the scenarios in the expansions are just much better than the ones in the base game.

As an added bonus, by getting the expansions you can play (albeit an aesthetically ugly) Overlord scenarios without needing a second base game.

The exception to this is the Terrain Pack. I felt rather ripped off by the purchase of that and feel that for it to have even been close to worth it, it should have been the same price and packed with the extra board. The scenarios are online and the extra terrain isn't all that useful unless you are playing custom/Terrain Pack scenarios on a regular basis. The fact that there are no extra pieces is kind of a downer too. I got crap from my wife for getting it after she leanred what was in it and that it was as much as the other expansions (she's my regular Memoir opponent). So don't bother with the Terrain Pack unless you feel it's loss but the other ones add a lot to the game so I would recommend them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
generalpf wrote:
If you're "meh" about the game and changing theaters won't drastically improve the theme for you, skip the expansions.

If you love the game (like I do), the expansions make it better.

I am not so sure. I think it elevates the game enough that if you are on the fence, the expansions will make it a better game. My only caution with fence-sitters, is to try 1 expansion at a time. Probably Eastern Front or Pacific Theater. I think PT is better than EF but enjoy them both.

If you dislike the game, then I have to agree the expansions won't do anything for you. To me, the base game was a step above Battle Cry; the expansions though allowed it to carve its own niche in the C&C realm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sigurdur Gunnarsson
Iceland
Seltjarnarnes
flag msg tools
The Terrain expansion lacks focus. It would have been a really nice idea to make it something like 4 Market Garden scenarios and 4 desert scenarios and include a set of British units with it.
Now they have kind of shot themselves in the foot regarding a future British expansion, they don't have much good stuff left to package them with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Garcia
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ISOisNo1 wrote:
The Terrain expansion lacks focus. It would have been a really nice idea to make it something like 4 Market Garden scenarios and 4 desert scenarios and include a set of British units with it.
Now they have kind of shot themselves in the foot regarding a future British expansion, they don't have much good stuff left to package them with.

Yes they have:
British Units: Churchill tanks (or Matildas), 25 Pd guns, Infantry in Tin-hats, Hurricanes or Tempest for the air rules.
More British and Commonwealth badges (Canadian, Australians…)
Some extra desert and jungle terrains (Desert hills!)
A lot more scenarios with Desert and South East Asia battles.

Rule Britannia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ISOisNo1 wrote:

Careful, you'll have the entire commonwealth after you.

This is the most discussed topic on the DOW forums. I think they have enough demand for a British expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have them all, but if you were only considering one, I'd urge you to buy the Pacific expansion. My impression is that it adds more to the game--in terms of a different play experience--than any of the other modules. Both the Japanese and the US Marines "feel" like they are who they're supposed to be to a far greater degree than either the Germans or the Soviets. The module leaves you wanting more scenarios, but no doubt those will come from fans or designer's supplements. An excellent module.

One more thing, I still hope for a "Desert Rats" module for the Tommies, but I'd vote for a Crusader II or III instead of a Churchill or Matilda. Crusader was used in North Africa, Sicily and Italy and has that classic British "cruiser tank" look to it. Churchill was a far less commonly deployed heavy support tank as was Matilda II.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see Australians and Turks ... though the Gallipoli scenarios would be hard-going ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
Florissant
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You know what I'd like to see for an expansion is a special pack of miniatures which allows you to play all of the official scenarios without having to use the special badges for engineers, commandoes, rangers, grenadiers, free french, heavy tanks, etc. It really sucks (imo) to have such a beautiful game and then have to use markers on the board to denote special unit types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Pz V wrote:
You know what I'd like to see for an expansion is a special pack of miniatures which allows you to play all of the official scenarios without having to use the special badges for engineers, commandoes, rangers, grenadiers, free french, heavy tanks, etc. It really sucks (imo) to have such a beautiful game and then have to use markers on the board to denote special unit types.

Wow that would be a lot of figures. The point of the game is to keep it adapatable. Having a base infantry with 30 different unit types via cardboard markers is much easier and more cost effective than 30 different figure types x 4 figures to a unit times 5 to 6 units in a scenario.

They already have that option - it's called buying scaled minis from other companies and doing what you want with them.

What I would rather see is a plastic base that holds your 4 figures together and has a slot that you could put the badge with them. That is the hard part of the game, moving a special forces unit with its badge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a recent game using the Pacific expansion, a friend simply reached into the base game and pulled out some Germans to denote American Engineers. Got some expansions? Just pull out a different nationality or two to represent special units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.