5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Kids games for Christmas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Eby
msg tools
mb
Looking for ideas for games to buy a large family for Christmas. Thinking of getting 7 Wonders for the older group (parents and the 5 oldest kids of which the youngest is about 8). Not sure of what to get the 3 younger kids to play. They range from about 3-7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out games from Haba. They specialize in kids' games. My kids are especially fond of Animal Upon Animal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sushi Go! was a hit with my 6 and 8 year old nieces, as was Disney Apples to Apples. There are several varitaions of Spot it! that might work for younger kids, including Disney and Pixar themes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seby19 wrote:
Not sure of what to get the 3 younger kids to play. They range from about 3-7.

You're not going to find a game that will be enjoyable for a 3 year old and a 7 year old. A 3 year old will be at the stage of learning how to play a game - i.e. turn order, following simple rules, not winning. Something like Where's my Cupcake? which has zero decisions is good for learning to play games. A 7 year old (and presumably a 5 year old) are unlikely to have that much patience playing with them. These children may be different, but I'm imagining my children playing with a hypothetically 3 year old sibling and I'm fairly sure there would be shouting...

My kids are nearly 5 (son) & nearly 7 (daughter), games they enjoy:
Carcassonne - mainly without farmers but I think they could probably both cope with farmers now.
Hive (Hive Pocket) - my daughter can play with all the standard pieces and can win. My son doesn't understand grasshoppers so we play without them (he can make reasonable moves and occasionally win). I'm not a very good Hive player.
They have played Pandemic, my daughter can play (though wanted to wipe out all the diseases which led to us losing), my 5 year old didn't have the patience and didn't really understand what was going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.