7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Ideas for diplomacy in fantasy wargame rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristóf Kovács
Hungary
flag msg tools
In the game I'm creating, there are independent races scattered across the board. These races may be conquered, but I also want to make players able to ally with them.
What I already have in mind is a relationship scale with 4 phases:
War - no further diplomacy possible.
Neutral - independents treat player as hostile but are open to negotiations.
Friendly - player may pass the territories of the independents and they will fight by his side if the enemy attacks them there.
Ally - player gains control of the independent units.

What I don't know yet is to how to implement the management of diplomatic relations. I'd like some ideas if you have any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it be too complicated to have a deck that players draw from that would list the countries?

Perhaps the more cards of the country you hold, the better relations you can use? You can start w/ neutral and one card = Friendly status, and two cards = Ally status.

The way you could work "War" status is to have a trap card the the other players at the table can put against the player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristóf Kovács
Hungary
flag msg tools
Well, this would be too random. I want it to be a strategic consideration to choose allies and those who you conquer - conquest is a faster way to gain their resources, but then you'll not have their units' support.
The thing I don't know is, actually how should players interact with neutrals. Sending bribes? Completing specific quests on their behalf? This is the problematic part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W Scott Grant
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One thought would be for each player to have their own status board where they use beads or some other marker to indicate their current status with each foreign power. This would be a type of slider that ranges from full ally (green) to war (red).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Rubinelli
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
You could have a deck of event cards with multiple options. For example, one card can let you choose between cutting down a centennial tree or not; cutting it will give you lumber for free, but you will anger the elves, while leaving it alone will improve your reputation with them. In other cards, you may have to choose which of two races to privilege in a mediation, or have a chance to spend gold to improve your relationship with some races.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about each player starting the game with one card or token (or maybe two) for each of the independent races. This represents a neutral stance. Then some actions may allow you to take a token from another player, thus improving your standing with the race at the expense of the other player. Probably some actions you do could rile them so you have to discard a token to a central store, which might be easier to gain for other players than stealing them off opponents.

If you end up with no tokens, the race is hostile towards you, or if you gain enough tokens (four or five?) they consider you trusted allies.

This would probably only work for a small number of independents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a fantasy game in particular, I'd expect different NPC groups to have different 'personalities': for example halflings might be extermely unlikely to want to get involved in a war, whereas trolls might be indifferent to gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.