Jon Weber
United States
Coal Valley
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
I really just love games
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the heaviest, meatiest, and thinky game you have played and why. I'm trying to get ideas for future collection additions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Antiquity, Vinhos, Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island

Antiquity and Robinson Crusoe, especially, give you an end-point, and you have to figure out how to get there among many options, and the variety in the setups mean the approach changes each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
Do you know what gamers refer to when they talk about the 18xx genre?
You should take a look.

Take a look at 1830; Railroads and Robber Barons or 1889.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All good recommendations so far. While it is not quite as heavy as some mentioned before, you should really try Brass: Lancashire. Probably the highest rated heavy Euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Madiera is considered pretty heavy, I think.

I have seen the rules to Pret a Porter, and frankly, I think it's pretty heavy, too. We couldn't get it to the table.

I was just looking at Opera, and that is considered fairly heavy and complex as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwill2 wrote:
Madiera is considered pretty heavy, I think.
Yep, fiiiinally trying to play my copy I bought 6 months ago this evening. Not felt it was right to try to just bring it along to a group and launch at people without prior warning.

also... Brass. lots of Brass. Madeira is certainly FAR more complicated mechnically, but the depth of Brass is very impressive for the simplish mechanisms it uses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should definitely check out the Heavy Cardboard Guild forums and their podcast for meaty game recommendations with detailed rationale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Civilization (Advanced Civ). 8 hours play time is sorta a minimum.

The nice thing about it is that it starts off simple, and eases you into the more complex rules as you build up your civilizations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Weber
United States
Coal Valley
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
I really just love games
mbmbmbmbmb
icarusmustburn wrote:
You should definitely check out the Heavy Cardboard Guild forums and their podcast for meaty game recommendations with detailed rationale.

I should have guessed this existed. Thanks for recommending!

Great recommendations all. I was waffling on Brass but may give it a second look. Madiera is definitely on the short list. Pret a Porter is now on my list to look into, I've only heard a few things.

18xx would totally be on my list but my wife is my primary game partner and I don't think she would dig 18xx. So I'm concerned about plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We love Brass. Some people play on the 2p board, or cover up part of the board. We just alter the card count, and leave the board be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
We love Brass. Some people play on the 2p board, or cover up part of the board. We just alter the card count, and leave the board be.

Is the 2p board a custom board? Game page says Brass is for 3-4p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trajan is always one that hurts my brain when Im done, but its weak compared to some of the other suggestions here.

Although I havent played it, High Frontier is pretty meaty and quite possibly the heaviest game I can think of, although it might be rivaled by the 18xx games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jurney85 wrote:
Trajan is always one that hurts my brain when Im done, but its weak compared to some of the other suggestions here.

Although I havent played it, High Frontier is pretty meaty and quite possibly the heaviest game I can think of, although it might be rivaled by the 18xx games.

All the heaviness in High Frontier basic game revolves around fuel costs and entering and leaving grav wells. Take that out and it is an almost ticket to ride wieght level pick up and deliver game.

That said, I do love me some High Frontier and I am not trivializing the heaviness that the fuel costs and gravity conquering burns you have to compute bring to the experience. I am merely pointing out that there isnt any heaviness besides this, so its not a heavy economic or route building game. Now, once you add Colonization expansion to the mix, then yes, the game is super heavy everywhere you turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jurney85 wrote:

Big fan of High Frontier, and it is very meaty, but if you successfully plan and pull off a mission to a distant planet, or cobble together a rocket to rescue a stranded crew, it's very satisfying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
webs05 wrote:
icarusmustburn wrote:

I should have guessed this existed. Thanks for recommending!

Great recommendations all. I was waffling on Brass but may give it a second look. Madiera is definitely on the short list. Pret a Porter is now on my list to look into, I've only heard a few things.

18xx would totally be on my list but my wife is my primary game partner and I don't think she would dig 18xx. So I'm concerned about plays.

Dungeon Lords is a great brain burner. Dungeon Petz is lighter. Both are 2-3 hr games. Mage Knight is amazing and works best 2-3 player imho, especially with the expansion which makes the game a better coop. These games all make me feel like I'm doing mental gymnastics. I love it.

Tash Kalar is a lighter game, but requires a lot of thinking if you want to do well. More of an abstract than a euro though, but easily the best abstract game I've ever played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bubblepipemedia wrote:
Mage Knight is amazing and works best 2-3 player imho,

I would say 1-2 considering it was voted the favorite game of soloists. Three players is just going to take too long.

Also, wargamers are having a chuckle in regards to what people heavy consider heavy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Tolman
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised that no one here has mentioned Caylus. It is usually described as one of the "heavier" games. I also really love Archon: Glory & Machination -- I'm not sure how others think of it and there is a funky problem with colors that is fairly easy to overcome, but it has a lot going on and plenty of strategy to keep you busy. Power Grid also comes to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear that Kanban: Driver's Edition is pretty heavy, though maybe slightly lighter than it's older brother Vinhos, (both designed by the same man).

I have not played it yet, so this is just based on what I have been hearing and reading about Kanban so far...my copy has yet to arrive.

EDIT: I want to add Ground Floor, it is not the heaviest...in fact it is more medium heavy...but it feels heavier, and if building an economic engine is your idea of fun, and you don't mind little to no player interaction, than I recommend it. Troyes is another medium-heavy game that feels bigger than it is, but I really enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Caylus

Dominant Species followed by Caylus and Bora Bora

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Assuming you mean heavy deep Euros (as all the ones above have) and not e.g. wargames then two publishers stand out for their quality and depth. To me at least.

Splotter Spellen
What's Your Game?

All the games by them that I have played have lived up to your criteria. Dominant Species is also a great game and if you're not afraid of moving into the wargames then some of the GMT Games besides DS closest to what Euro gamers might also like could be Virgin Queen, Twilight Struggle, Navajo Wars and the COIN series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madison Hanks
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tzolkin

Twilight Struggle

CO2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jovie jovie
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 Madeira
+1 Brass: Lancashire

I heard Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) is one of the heavy weight as well.
I've never played it tough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
webs05 wrote:

What if you disguise the genre with an ancient greek theme and call it Poseidon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Weber
United States
Coal Valley
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
I really just love games
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunke wrote:
webs05 wrote:

What if you disguise the genre with an ancient greek theme and call it Poseidon?

That has a chance. Is the game any good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chatfouz wrote:
Tzolkin

shake

High Frontier - I contest that the rules, as I teach them, are not hard. I just don't see this as a hard-to-learn game. Everybody else disagrees, though, so there's that. Partially because the rule book is meant to display rules for reference, not teach you how to play. Regardless, this is my favorite game for good reason.

Antiquity - rules are simple (really this time), but there's a huge amount of stress and fighting a slippery slope. My wife's favorite, and one of my top games, for sure.

Roads & Boats - take stuff, move it, build stuff with it. Even if you play with the unspoken agreement not to mess with one another, this one's tough. If your opponent tries to take your junk, it gets worse. My wife's a heavy euro player and this one reduced her to tears (literally).

Mage Knight - this one is enormously random, but none of the randomness is deterministic. This leads to brain-busting turns where you try to suss out the most of what you've got in your hand against what is usually an unfair board. More about fighting the game than your friends, but there's a lot of that, too.

Bonus Points: all the above work very very well with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.