Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew S. Fischer
United States
Devon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Anyone got any "weighty" contenders for the crown? (I'm literally talking weight here, as in pounds and ounces.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Totonchy
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Greenland, but I think the more recent Sierra Madre titles are better: High Frontier, Bios: Megafauna, and Pax Porf. I recently got my copy of Erosion played a few times and really enjoyed that one too. They're all fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love High Frontier and Bios: Megafauna, but I think the OP's intent was that Greenland is a very small game that packs in a lot of theme, mechanics, and playability; a "lightweight heavyweight" if you will.

(I love all three for the record!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Totonchy
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pax Porf is similar weight. Erosion is lighter!

I scanned my highly rated games and here are some others that can go toe-to-toe with Greenland keeping weight in mind:

Trick of the Rails
Intrigue
Ninety-Nine
So Long Sucker
Win, Lose, or Banana
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gazpar wrote:

You lost me here To me it's only one tiny step above rock, paper, scissors!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
juanma99 wrote:
Gazpar wrote:

You lost me here To me it's only one tiny step above rock, paper, scissors!
It's three cards, and much more fun than RPS. So, similar heavy/weight ratio, I'm guessing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Totonchy
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The weight to fun ratio of Win, Lose, Banana is very high. It is also a great little persuasion/negotiation game, something the Sierra Madre fans will appreciate. Plus it takes about 30 seconds to explain and play a game, so the commitment level is about as low as you can get. Add beer for enhanced enjoyment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Outside of Pax Porfiriana, I can't think of any other game that has as much thematic content as Greenland per weight. (The rules booklet might be heavier and have a higher volume than the other components combined). I can think of games that are deeper gameplay wise like Intrigue, but, disregarding its brilliance, Intrigue hardly oozes theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Totonchy
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
Outside of Pax Porfiriana, I can't think of any other game that has as much thematic content as Greenland per weight. (The rules booklet might be heavier and have a higher volume than the other components combined). I can think of games that are deeper gameplay wise like Intrigue, but, disregarding its brilliance, Intrigue hardly oozes theme.

Agreed, although I'm not sure the OP required the game to be thematic. Just one you think is great and doesn't weigh a whole lot. I enjoyed reviewing all games I've rated 8-10 based on weight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pax Porfiriana is the first game that came to my mind when this question came up

There are other "ounce" games that I can think of but none have the depth of Phil Eklund games. The other "ounce" games that came to mind were: Court of the Medici and Race for the Galaxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Draper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Games I rate higher than Greenland that also weight less

Hanabi
The Ravens of Thri Sashari
The Resistance
Trick of the Rails

Innovation's close, but it weighs a hair over Greenland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
provence wrote:
Pax Porfiriana is the first game that came to my mind when this question came up

Agreed about Pax. I also think very highly of Friday, despite its pasted on theme. 2 de Mayo is pretty clever. Also, there were a lot of great micro-games back in the day; my favorite was probably The Creature That Ate Sheboygan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamuki (Jueguetistorias)
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from Pax, Hannabi and Friday, I've enjoyed a lot Cambria, a dice fest, but a fun one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
Airborne Commander that I bought in Essen, as well as Greenland has a similar feel as Friday,and is almost as challenging in gameplay as GL if less heavy in iconography.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second 2 de Mayo and add Traders of Osaka.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Traders of Osaka. Thanks for reminding me that this have this pretty interesting 2 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jamuki wrote:
Apart from Pax, Hannabi and Friday, I've enjoyed a lot Cambria, a dice fest, but a fun one.

Interesting - I hadn't heard of Cambria, but it looks like something I might enjoy. I see an earlier game called Hibernia from the same source, but my GeekBuddies give Cambria the higher rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamuki (Jueguetistorias)
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Hibernia, but I've been also told that Cambria is the better game. I hope you will enjoy it, if you get the chance to play it.

Two very small nitpicks about the game:

* The board has two sides, to allow you to play in two different lands: Cambria and Cumbria. Cumbria board is much more difficult to read than Cambria.

* Playing with some people, they get VI and IV confused, specially if sitting just opposite the board. I guess that some people does not like Roman Numerals

Anyway, my endorsement for Cambria/Cumbria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Cole Wehrle wrote:

I can think of one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
Cole Wehrle wrote:

I can think of one...

We'll see where we end up. When I take it out for playtests, I carry the thing in a pretty small plastic bag. After the game, there's usually a player who expresses surprise at how much a little bag can hold, for better or worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
Not an actual picture of me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
Tigrillo wrote:
Cole Wehrle wrote:

I can think of one...

We'll see where we end up. When I take it out for playtests, I carry the thing in a pretty small plastic bag. After the game, there's usually a player who expresses surprise at how much a little bag can hold, for better or worse.

While I'll be able to buy quite a few more Greenland size games, I'm over threshold for large ones, so go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.