Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men» Forums » Rules

Subject: Iron Man Playboy Card Effects rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
devin smithwick
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I have a few questions about Iron Man's Playboy card effects.If my opponent has Iron Man "playboy" with a A:4 D:6 attacks, and I Block with Spiderman "spider sense" A:3 D:3, I trigger Iron Mans effects. So does Spidey get KO'ed due to iron mans effect ,enabling iron man to come through for a nice 4 points of damage to me the player?

Or does the 3 damage points from Iron mans card apply when the "raw" attack and defense values occur (during the assign damage step)

I know this card has been talked about more than enough but reading other post literally has so much contradiction , and its like who do I believe. Drives me crazzy XD

My fiance and i are just new to this game and we want to play it as best and correctly as possible.

BTW the Iron Man card is hers hence my persistence to figure this out , cause a card that good only costing 4 is just way to good laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
devinwr85 wrote:
I have a few questions about Iron Man's Playboy card effects.If my opponent has Iron Man "playboy" with a A:4 D:6 attacks, and I Block with Spiderman "spider sense" A:3 D:3, I trigger Iron Mans effects. So does Spidey get KO'ed due to iron mans effect ,enabling iron man to come through for a nice 4 points of damage to me the player?

Or does the 3 damage points from Iron mans card apply when the "raw" attack and defense values occur (during the assign damage step)

I know this card has been talked about more than enough but reading other post literally has so much contradiction , and its like who do I believe. Drives me crazzy XD

My fiance and i are just new to this game and we want to play it as best and correctly as possible.

BTW the Iron Man card is hers hence my persistence to figure this out , cause a card that good only costing 4 is just way to good laugh

1. Spider-man deals 3 damage to Iron Man in the attack step at the same time Iron Man deals his 4 damage to Spider-man. When that resolves, Iron Man's ability triggers. You can then select a valid target

2. "Once blocked, always blocked" - If Iron Man's ability were to trigger before damage resolution as a result of taking some other damage, then he could KO the Spider-Man that is blocking him before attack damage resolves, but he would still be blocked, per the game rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As soon as a character is blocked, they will remain blocked even if their blockers are killed or removed.

A note about Iron Man 'Playboy': His extra 3 damage will only trigger when all the combat damage is assigned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
devin smithwick
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
In response to #1 ,once the initial damage is resolved and iron man assigns damage to lets say another character, can iron man come through for damage to me?

In response to #2 , what is blocking iron man if spidey gets ko'd by irons man effect before damage is assigned? Whos blocking? SPidey?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
devinwr85 wrote:
In response to #1 ,once the initial damage is resolved and iron man assigns damage to lets say another character, can iron man come through for damage to me?

In response to #2 , what is blocking iron man if spidey gets ko'd by irons man effect before damage is assigned? Whos blocking? SPidey?!

1 - no, Iron Man is blocked. When an attacker is blocked, they remain blocked for the duration of the attack.

2 - Iron Man is blocked by the game rules, that tell you he is blocked

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
devin smithwick
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
crambaza and brandon ,thank you for your help it is much appreciated , i guess i should feetch the Iron man card out of the trash

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonso Zamora
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
for better understanding

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blucher Lives

Keller
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If Iron Man Playboy is KO'd, does his 3 damage effect still trigger? Or does he move to the prep area and is "done"?

The rule book play example confused me.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeanOhSaur wrote:
If Iron Man Playboy is KO'd, does his 3 damage effect still trigger? Or does he move to the prep area and is "done"?

My understanding is that it would trigger just before he is knocked out as all damage is applied simultaneously and triggers would interrupt. I have not seen anything from Wizkids that would contradict this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blucher Lives

Keller
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks. That's the way we were playing. But then we screwed up and looked at the play example in the rules. It says "boosts Thor" to KO Iron-Man preventing his ability for kicking in.

We'll put the rulebook away and go back to some Fun Dicing!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the FAQ posted on WizKids Dicemasters page. I believe they specifically state in there that the Example of Play in the rulebook is either incorrect or at least worded poorly in that instance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blucher Lives

Keller
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Will do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone not wanting to look it up:

DiceMasters FAQ wrote:
Q: If a character with a game effect that is triggered by taking damage is KO’ed due to damage dealt in combat, does their game effect occur?

A: Yes, the character’s card effect will occur. As an example, Iron Man, Playboy’s ability to deal 3 damage to one opposing character that is attacking or blocking each time he takes damage in the Attack Step would be triggered even if the damage he takes would cause him to be KO’d.

PLEASE NOTE: On Page 17 of the rulebook, there is an error. In the last sentence of the first paragraph, it states, “This will give Thor enough damage to knock out Iron Man before he can use his card text again.” This refers to the fact that Iron Man will not be in play in future turns to continue to take advantage of his ability – he still gets to use it on the turn he is KO’ed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.