Popular Tags: [View All]
zollom
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have a better idea when any of the expansion packs will be available? I know the base game is scheduled to come out asap now but was wondering if I should wait to buy the base game at the same time as the exp packs. I'm trying to avoid making another order & paying shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Parks
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
The expected release according to CSI is January 2015. Beyond that no one, not even Fantasy Flight themselves, know for sure when.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering the items only just went to the printers in the last few days, I doubt they will be available by January. FFG predicts Q1 2015 - personally I predict March. Earlier would be better though, for sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lehnen
United States
Bethalto
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having no experience with Descent do you only need the boosters for skirmish mode?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NCC1701 wrote:
Having no experience with Descent do you only need the boosters for skirmish mode?

There is no need for the expansions, as even in skirmish mode, you can still use the tokens that come in the base game. However, they do offer more for skirmish mode than they do for the campaign mode.

The expansions give you:

Minis instead of tokens
Side-mission for Campaign
2 skirmish scenarios
extra command cards that can be added to your army in Skirmish mode.

I think that's enough to make them worth their while, but they are definitely not necessary for either game mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rebel Troopers and Rebel Saboteurs also give you the Elite Deployment cards for those units, which you can't get elsewhere, although they'll only be used in Skirmish.

The Imperial/Mercenary packs (IG-88, Royal Guard Champion, General Weiss) also give you additional sets of three Agenda cards to further customise that deck at the beginning of a new Campaign.

But yeah, the core set has all the stuff you need to use the characters. The packs just enhance some of that content. The prime draw of the packs are the figures and the new mission options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
NCC1701 wrote:

There is no need for the expansions, as even in skirmish mode, you can still use the tokens that come in the base game. However, they do offer more for skirmish mode than they do for the campaign mode.

The expansions give you:

Minis instead of tokens
Side-mission for Campaign
2 skirmish scenarios
extra command cards that can be added to your army in Skirmish mode.

I think that's enough to make them worth their while, but they are definitely not necessary for either game mode.

Some also include:
Reward cards
Agenda cards

They seem worthwhile to me, even though I don't play skirmish mode (I love the campaign).

The chance to get new side-missions, rewards, and Agenda cards in addition to the miniatures, for some expansions less than $7, seems very worthwhile indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
The Rebel Troopers and Rebel Saboteurs also give you the Elite Deployment cards for those units, which you can't get elsewhere, although they'll only be used in Skirmish.

Why would you say that. I'm sure there's already a side quest in the base set that will grant you access to them, and there'll be another side quest in the expansion pack for them. If you already have access to a Ally and are granted access to them again through a another quest you're granted the Elite version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karrde wrote:
Why would you say that. I'm sure there's already a side quest in the base set that will grant you access to them, and there'll be another side quest in the expansion pack for them. If you already have access to a Ally and are granted access to them again through a another quest you're granted the Elite version.

I say that because we have been told exactly which Deployment cards are in the core set. The Elite cards for the Rebel Troopers and Rebel Saboteurs are not in there. The card count from that list of cards exactly matches the card count from the LtP guide too, so I have no reason to disbelieve it.

Edit: But I just realised you're probably talking about my comment about them only being useful in Skirmish. I didn't consider the multiple sidequests option to add them to the campaign, I admit. My main point was that you need to get the expansion to get those cards and that the fact they are missing from the core set only affects Skirmish (i.e., you need the expansion to make the Elite cards usable in the Campaign).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
karrde wrote:

I say that because we have been told exactly which Deployment cards are in the core set. The Elite cards for the Rebel Troopers and Rebel Saboteurs are not in there. The card count from that list of cards exactly matches the card count from the LtP guide too, so I have no reason to disbelieve it.

I was referring to the "only be used in Skirmish" part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
How do IA side missions work? If you've played through the base game content can you just do all the pack side missions in a row when they're available or should they literally be done on the side of actual campaign for them to make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petromir Brookendil
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
max_s wrote:
How do IA side missions work? If you've played through the base game content can you just do all the pack side missions in a row when they're available or should they literally be done on the side of actual campaign for them to make sense?

I believe they are intended to slot into a campaign. A few (such as one from the Darth Vader pack) The Imp player can play a card that forces the Rebels to either undertake a specified mission at that time rather than other choices or the imp player gets a reward (in this case the mission is to help Luke escape and the Imp reward for the players not undertaking it is Darth Vader).

They aren't designed to form a narrative on their own, more add flavour to a wider narrative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
max_s wrote:

The campaign intertwines Story missions and Side mission.

At the start of a campaign, the Heroes build a Side Mission Deck:
- Each red Side Mission card corresponding to their heroes
- Four green cards of the heroes’ choice
- Four random gray cards
This deck is then shuffled.

Then the campaign starts with the introductory mission "Aftermath".
Then the Rebel heroes draw 2 cards from the Side Mission deck and pick one to play as the next mission.
After that, every time they resolve a non-Agenda Side Mission they draw one more card so they always have 2 to pick from.
After the first side mission the #1 Story Mission is played (which story mission is chosen is based on who "won" Aftermath).
Then another side mission.
Then the second story mission (which story mission is based on who "won" the previous story mission).
Then two side missions in a row.
Then the third story mission.(which story mission is based on who "won" the previous story mission).
Then a side mission.
Then the fourth story mission.(which story mission is based on who "won" the previous story mission).
Then the finale.(which finale is based on who "won" the previous story mission).

The Imperial player can purchase Agenda cards that provide additional Missions (usually Forced Missions) using his Influence points. These are played outside of the normal campaign flow.

I think this is a GREAT campaign system. And as we add expansions with additional Side Mission cards, the replay value increases.

In a five player game (four heroes) with the core set, you'll use 12 Side Mission cards to form your deck but only play 5 of them in any given campaign.

At this point, there is no system in place (yet) to play in an "epic" form where you could do "one off" side missions at some advanced level just to play whatever mission you want. But there has been talk on BGG about how to give heroes and the Imperial advancements to keep it balanced and play whatever mission you want.

But I find the way they unfold during the campaign is wonderful all by itself.

Only the Story Missions tell a narrative linking missions. Side Missions are all stand alone that have their own narrative and story elements but do not connect to each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
That does sound cool. Wish the packs were available at the same time as base game though.. Because now to play the pack missions when they come in January-March (who knows) you'll have to repeat whole campaign and possibly repeat old missions? Well, replay value is nice of course. 4 campaigns to play all core+pack content. Hopefully the base missions are fun even if repeated (surprise elements are lost ). I guess it's worth playing at least twice anyway to possibly see both outcomes of each "branch".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new packs also mean the Imperial can have more different options for Agenda cards, and the Rebels can choose different characters. Add to that, that the branching means that many story missions will be different, and I think it would be not too difficult to do a campaign a second time and have it feel quite different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
max_s wrote:
That does sound cool. Wish the packs were available at the same time as base game though.. Because now to play the pack missions when they come in January-March (who knows) you'll have to repeat whole campaign and possibly repeat old missions? Well, replay value is nice of course. 4 campaigns to play all core+pack content. Hopefully the base missions are fun even if repeated (surprise elements are lost ). I guess it's worth playing at least twice anyway to possibly see both outcomes of each "branch".

In our second campaign we *never* saw the same side mission from those we played in the first campaign, so it really kept the game interesting and "new".

And since there are two Story Missions for each stage (which you play depending on who "won" the previous one), we did see a few repeats but also some new branches we had not seen before.

With the addition of Agenda Missions, we played 13 missions in the second campaign of which only 2 missions were repeated. And that's WITHOUT any of the expansion packs.

What I hope to see next is an additional Story Mission. But even it it's a long time in coming, there's still a LOT to play just in the core box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeppe Tobias Hatting
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
So the forced agenda mission are played in ADDITION to the generel campaign with side missions and not INSTEAD of a side mission?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
Yeah, I must say I'm still happy that the packs have side missions and not story ones, because otherwise they would seem too much like a mandatory purchase, which they definitely shouldn't be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatting wrote:
So the forced agenda mission are played in ADDITION to the generel campaign with side missions and not INSTEAD of a side mission?

YES. There is even a place on the Campaign Log to record the Forced Missions outside of the flow of Side/Story missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatting wrote:

The non-forced agenda missions are added to the side mission options. From what I've seen, the rebels only get one chance to take them (instead of their own side missions), and if they don't take the mission, the Imperial immediately gains a reward and the mission is discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually there are two types of Agenda missions.

One adds a mission card to the Rebel players' active side missions (giving them 3 instead of 2 to choose from). If they do not choose the Agenda side mission as their next side mission then the Imperial player gains a reward.

For example, the card "Breaking Point": "Play this card as side mission “Breaking Point” (page 21, Core Game). If the heroes resolve any other side mission, discard this card and receive the reward listed below."

The other allows the Imperial player to Force the Rebel heroes to play the specific mission next.

For example, the card "Impounded": "Play “Impounded” (page 22, Core Game) as a forced mission."

Forced missions are in addition to the normal flow of the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeppe Tobias Hatting
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
Aaah, so there are forced missions and "semi-forced" agenda missions That's pretty cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.