Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this is a bit of a cross-over of an recommendation and design thoery:

I am interested in auction games and I have quite a bit of them. Most of them use an English auction ("the normal auction, not the one ebay uses") but with the limitation that everybody may only bid on his turn.

This is where my question comes in:

Are there any games that feature a real English auction in the sense of an open ascending price auction where everybody is allowed to bid at any time. (This is the way auctions in auction houses work.)

I have not come accross such a game yet, so if you know of any, please tell me.

If not (!), I wonder why: It might seem difficult to handle in a board game (What if 2 bid at the same time?), however, actually it can't be too complicated as it is used in all major auction houses, they must have rules for that. Is it because that would require an independent auctioneer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the possible auction types in Modern Art is that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
smithlucas wrote:
If not (!), I wonder why: It might seem difficult to handle in a board game (What if 2 bid at the same time?), however, actually it can't be too complicated as it is used in all major auction houses, they must have rules for that. Is it because that would require an independent auctioneer?

+1 for Modern Art, and to answer your question this is handled in Modern Art the same way I imagine it is in real auction houses. The auctioneer decides who got their bid in first.

I can see how this might be an issue in games where an item is auctioned via some mechanism that does not involve a person filling the role of auctioneer. In that case a simple tie break rule such as 'person with lowest score wins' should be easy to come up with.

By the way, the various auction mechanisms in Modern Art are one of the things that make it such a good game. If you are interested in auction mechanisms then I recommend trying it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Modern Art is definitely on my wishlist, thanks for reminding me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it's not really an auction, but Panic on Wall Street! is kind of like that. It's more of a free-for-all with multiple sellers though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I was just coming to the Recommendation forum looking for advice on auction games. I'm going to hold off on my post and watch this thread for a bit.

To the OP -- since you are interested in auction-type games, I'd appreciate your suggestions. Feel free to geekmail me if you would prefer not to pollute your thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esirof wrote:
I was just coming to the Recommendation forum looking for advice on auction games. I'm going to hold off on my post and watch this thread for a bit.

To the OP -- since you are interested in auction-type games, I'd appreciate your suggestions. Feel free to geekmail me if you would prefer not to pollute your thread.

If you are looking for general recommendations on auction games, I'd indeed suggest you better open a new thread for this. Thanks. (you will also get better results as the titles will be more accurate.) I will of course contribute. The so far mentioned Modern Arts is widely considered an excellent auction games featuring different kinds of auctions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan D
United States
Dover
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
When you feel the ground rumble, know an OGRE is coming.
mbmbmbmbmb
While not completely what you are talking about Revolution! everyone bids at the same time. Just it is silent. Trying to out guess what the other people are going to bid on. One of my favorite games. I know there is a dice tower review somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Graham CheeseViking Games
United States
Hockley
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Going Going Gone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.