GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,240 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
“Mine two size [2] cards from the deck.”

This is fairly straightforward. The number [2] is kind of a variable, in that it can already include [1] or [2], and can be boosted to values higher than that.

The total number of cards you can draw is 2, but as per the "actions are optional" rules, you can choose to draw zero cards by not performing the action or draw 1 card by partially fulfilling the action.

But what if the number and text was reversed. I don't remember which card it was -- it might have been a Research card or something. Anyway, to clarify my understanding of the rules, let's say a card says this:

“Mine [2] size two cards from the deck.”

Now, as per the "actions are optional" rules, you can choose not to do the action at all. As per the "numbers are inclusive of lesser values" rule, the total number of cards you can draw is either 1 or 2, and can be boosted to higher values using the "boosting" rules.

But now I'm confused as to how to handle the type of card you draw. The "actions are optional" rule doesn't apply to this part of the text - you either draw the card or you don't. The "actions are optional" doesn't effect what you do with the card drawn. The "boosting rules" obviously don't apply since it only applies to boxed numbers. But I'm not sure about the "numbers are inclusive of lesser values" rule.

While I know that "[2]" can also be read as "up to [2]", I'm not sure if "two" can also be read as "up to two".

In this case, could you mine cards that come from the deck if those cards, once revealed, are all size 1?

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I asked this same thing before and Chris confirmed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe we played where it means they have to be size two cards. Not really sure which is correct.

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the first two answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
All numbers are downward inclusive, whether text numbers or numeral numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.