Subject: Please help me build a camping board game collection rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My family camps a lot, and this year I'm realizing all of our trips are in the tent vs. a cabin, so I can't bring my usual laundry basket of board games. I'm interested in a set of games that meet different goals for portability, durability, and easily learned. Ideally we would have a variety of games to meet a variety of camping needs:

-Easily learned games to introduce to other scouting parents during camp weekends
-Quick filler games for scouts (ages 6-12) to learn and play at camp
-Games we can play in the tent
-Games our family can play outside on a picnic table (ie, games where the bits don't blow away)

Here are some games we already own that work well: Love Letter, Ghost Blitz, Werewolf, Resistance.

Ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice games with minimal components always work well in this situation.

Qwixx is one of my favorites in this category. You should be able to find a copy on amazon. If not, the files section on the game's page has a spot where you can download your own scoresheets. I would laminate a few. Then all you need is two white dice and one each of red, blue, yellow, and green. It plays up to 5 and a 5 player game takes 15 to 20 minutes. (Amazon says back in stock an Dec 13)

Another excellent dice game in this category is VivaJava: The Coffee Game: The Dice Game. This one is deeper than Qwixx, but still every good. A game with 4 takes about 30 minutes.

One more: Zooloretto: The Dice Game

Zooloretto Dice is an offshoot of the card game (which is actually better) Coloretto

If you like Love Letter, you should also take a look at the Lost Legacy games by the same designer. They are similar to Love Letter.
Lost Legacy: The Starship
Lost Legacy: Flying Garden
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Qwirkle is great. Big chunk wood bits make for a great camping game!

I think Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game would be fun camping game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Fritsch
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids are 7, 9 12. we camp often. Here is what we take to play in the tent or camper. Qwirkle, Hive, Dominoes, five crowns, ghost blitz, scrabble plays well on a picnic table. Martian dice is a ton of fun, king of tokyo can be played in a tent or a picnic table. carcasonne plays well on a picnic table too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schemaille
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Qwirkle
Hive
No Thanks!
Stratego
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanabi
Coup
Linko!
Fairy Tale
Wizard
HeartSwitch
Clubs
Pairs
Palastgeflüster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tichu Is a great game for 4 players. Along with other good traditional card games.

Citadels Is a relatively simple game that works quite a wide range of players too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came in here to recommend Lewis and Clark, but I realize that's not what you're after.

Your Scouts will love Snake Oil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan D
United States
Dover
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
When you feel the ground rumble, know an OGRE is coming.
mbmbmbmbmb
For tent camping one thing you want to make sure of is if the games can stand up to the weather. So plastic or cheap/easy to replace paper based games is what I recommend. Such AS:
Castellan- Nice plastic pieces that work great.
Tichu- Card game that can also replace standard decks to be used with Traditional Card Games. So you have even more options.
Ogre- specifically pocket edition, 3 bucks, if it gets ruined it is not a huge lose.
Zombie Dice, Martian Dice, Quarriors!, Dice Masters (any flavor), Chupacabra: Survive the Night- Or any other Dice game. Dice games are great for camping as they are very weather resistant, and you can almost always find a surface that will work.
And as I recommended in the backpacking post Matchstick Game,matchstick puzzles

I suggest checking out the "What game would you bring on backpacking" thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bueschel
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Dice games with minimal components always work well in this situation.

Qwixx is one of my favorites in this category. You should be able to find a copy on amazon. If not, the files section on the game's page has a spot where you can download your own scoresheets. I would laminate a few. Then all you need is two white dice and one each of red, blue, yellow, and green. It plays up to 5 and a 5 player game takes 15 to 20 minutes. (Amazon says back in stock an Dec 13)

Another excellent dice game in this category is VivaJava: The Coffee Game: The Dice Game. This one is deeper than Qwixx, but still every good. A game with 4 takes about 30 minutes.

One more: Zooloretto: The Dice Game

Zooloretto Dice is an offshoot of the card game (which is actually better) Coloretto

If you like Love Letter, you should also take a look at the Lost Legacy games by the same designer. They are similar to Love Letter.
Lost Legacy: Flying Garden

You would just need to pick up a dice tray or use something similar.

Roll For It! This is also a good dice game with games and non-gamers alike

Skull I think this is only called Skulls now. A quick bluffing game. Small box

Dutch Blitz If you know solitaire or nertz you are good to go.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently saw a pocket edition of Scotland Yard, priced at around €10,00.

Do not know whether this is available in the USA, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Durable, wet-resistant, wind resistant, available in travel versions, playable by young and old, easy to learn (+ probably still visible in the dim light of camping evenings):
Ingenious
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the old'uns, and a staple of the scout leaders on camp evenings when I was a scout:
Mah Jongg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Wojtkielewicz
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
He who comes too late is punished by life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Carcassonne
Little prince
Ra dice game
Roll thru the ages
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimbo Hale
msg tools
mbmbmb
If you have boys in the pre-teen to early teenage years Poo the Card Game is a must. My 14 year old son takes it to scouting, church overnights, and campouts and never fails to have a great time…...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ones I would highly recommend due to fun and portability:

Age of War
Bang! The Dice Game
Guillotine
Longhorn
Mr. Jack Pocket
No Thanks!

Would recommend but the boxes are larger (smaller than most games) and may not be as portable:

Arctic Scavengers - Biggest box of what I'm recommending but it's a card game and the cards could be transported in something other than the box and take up a lot less room. Great Game!
King & Assassins
Knockout
Revolver

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Devine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Hive: Wind?, no problem. Left out in the rain?, no problem.

2) Zombie Dice: Gather a few rocks to keep score. Small rocks = 1 brain, big rocks = 5 brains, huge rock = 10 brains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloom has plastic cards that would be waterproof and very durable.
Table space may be the only drawback for camping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rajae aree
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a BIG vote for Incan Gold. I use it at all my family gatherings to get everyone to play a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies everyone! You came up with so many suggestions I never would have thought of. So this is what I decided to include in my waterproof camping game sack (along with a soft sided dice tray):

Martian Dice
Tichu
Hive Pocket
Set
Love Letter
Ghost Blitz
Space Hulk Death Angel the Card Game
Deck of cards

Depending on our specific plans, these will be some optional games I add to the bag:

Travel Scrabble
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
Resistance
Friday
Onirim
Snake Oil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We take Bears! on every camping trip. It's all dice, so durable, and it's camping themed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OxfordRow wrote:
We take Bears! on every camping trip. It's all dice, so durable, and it's camping themed.

Awesome. Thanks for the idea! Sounds like fun. Have you played zombie dice? If so, is this game more fun for two players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
usfbrown wrote:
OxfordRow wrote:

Awesome. Thanks for the idea! Sounds like fun. Have you played zombie dice? If so, is this game more fun for two players?

Never played Zombie Dice as I'm not that fond of the theme. But we do have Martian Dice which is very similar. I would say that they are all good with two players. I'd be hard pressed to say which is "better."

Bears is more chaotic with more and slower paced with two (since it's about grabbing dice, you can see why this would be the case). But we enjoy the slightly slower pace at times. The more people you have grabbing at dice, the more laughs, groans and those sort of moments you get, but there's still a good bit of that with 2.

Really depends on what you're looking for. Bears is a speed game, while Martian Dice, Zombie Dice, etc. are press your luck games. They're all fun, just a different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.