BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Public commitment: Not buying new games in 2015 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. Here's the thing: currently I have 65 games plus similar amount of expansions. But with two small kids my playtime is rather limited - I play with my wife once a week, with brother in law and his sons once a month and with gaming friends maybe once a quarter. But I see all those cool new games, thinking "thats what I need, that will make my collection complete!". Compulsive buying is my problem. On the other hand I am constanly trading games away, even after 1-2 plays. "Life is to short to play '7s'". And so I am constantly looking for '8s' and '9s'...

So I want to make public commitment not to buy myself any new games in 2015. I have make myself few rules:

* I can't give games as presents to my wife. I play mostly with her so that would be cheating.
* I can't back games on Kickstarter
* I can, if she wishes, give games to my almost 3-year old daughter (this would be maybe 2 games for small children and while I track them as part of our home collection they are not mine and are not part of the problem I am working on here)
* I can trade games - I participate in math trade 2 or 3 times a year trading maybe 2 games each time - I suspect this number to drop with stream of new games going dry
* I can get game as presents - I have birthday in October and usually get 1 or 2 games. Plus this year I am participating in Secret Santa and love it!

While writing those rules I thought that maybe I have bigger problem that I thought

I am also tempted to join 10x10 initiative but I'm pretty sure I would fail. Need to think about it...

Anyway wanted to make this public so I it would be harder for me to bow out of this. Wish me luck!

Edit: Now we have the geeklist if you would like to join (in any form, cold turkey or otherwise): Public commitment: Not buying new games in 2015

Edit: Added myself "no Kickstarter" rule

Edit: Thanks to Stevan we have microbadge: mb Yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
The Joeymans chose one to lead them.....The Joeyman
badge
Anyone who thinks that Avatar is a guy with a blue face needs an airbender
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck! I have a similar situation, but I'm less willing to do anything about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It is fairly likely that the only games I'll buy next year is the annual Winsome Games collection. It was almost true this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bueschel
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck! I made a similar New Year's resolution that failed miserably!!! I think with the right amount of self control it can be done! Think of all of the time you get to play with your daughter.

Have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to do this for this MONTH! But it was Black Friday and all the Christmas sales, and all the great auctions right now ... I failed. gulp

More power to ya ... good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Springfield
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I fully support that, and will probably be attempting something similar in buying no new game systems, but I'm not committing to it yet...

I do have one question though, what about expansions to games already owned? There are a few coming out in 2015 I already am planning on getting for Dominion, Imperial Settlers, and Smash Up, and possibly Power Grid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

If you can trade you're good as gold. You have plenty to work with. I buy a game or two a year, have traded for everything else for about the last five years. My "collection" stays at around 65 games or so, not including the kids' pile of outdated stuff.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iori Yagami
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's make bets... I bet 5 candy wrappers the OP wouldn't last 3 months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I done something similar this year (2014). I set myself a strict limit.

I Kickstarted the following games:
Burgoo (microgame)
This Town Ain't Big Enough for the 2-4 of Us (microgame)
Province (microgame)
Twilight Struggle Digital Edition
Yardmaster Express
Flash Point: Fire Rescue – Honor & Duty
Bomb Squad

I also traded five games.

I sold a good number at the UK Games Expo, but I did not buy any games, used or new, at the Expo.

My only physical game purchase was VivaJava: The Coffee Game: The Dice Game.

I am quite pleased. I'll do the same next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
Team D20 wrote:

I do have one question though, what about expansions to games already owned? There are a few coming out in 2015 I already am planning on getting for Dominion, Imperial Settlers, and Smash Up, and possible Power Grid.

I forbid myself buying expansions as well. I am waiting currently for 1 - Polish edition of Among the Stars: Ambassadors - but it will have to wait either till my birthday in October, or 2016.

Sagrilarus wrote:

If you can trade you're good as gold. You have plenty to work with. I buy a game or two a year, have traded for everything else for about the last five years.

The problem I have with trading is that I am compulsive buyer in Cult of the New and my wife is hoarder who hardly can part with any of our games - each trade is a result of long negotiations

Iori_Yagami wrote:
Let's make bets... I bet 5 candy wrappers the OP wouldn't last 3 months.

Challenge accepted

XEEN wrote:
Hang in there. My 2 1/2 year-old LOVES playing with my board games. I can't wait until we actually "play" them.

We are already playing My First Orchard and simplified version of Zooloretto Mini and she will be getting Hoppe Reiter (another Haba title) for Christmas.

JoffW wrote:
I done something similar this year (2014). I set myself a strict limit.

My only physical game purchase was VivaJava: The Coffee Game: The Dice Game.

I am quite pleased. I'll do the same next year.

You gave me idea of keeping track of how I'm doing - for example by updating this thread - monthly or bi-monthly.

And I thought that after all I will participate in 10x10 challenge - I will just pick few of the shorter titles mixed with longer ones.

Thanks for all the support!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wishing you good luck and even better nerves here. I don't know you personally, but I am aware that this would be very tough for about 95% of the people here, including myself, as it is a fantastic time to be a board gamer.

Maybe you are lucky and 2015 will be a bad year for board games (at least for your personal taste), although I doubt it, as the hobby is currently in full bloom.

By the way: what about borrowing games or Print and Play games ? This challenge about the buying aspect, right ?

godunow wrote:
* I can get game as presents - I have birthday in October and usually get 1 or 2 games. Plus this year I am participating in Secret Santa and love it!

If you really make it this far, I am pretty sure you will put so much thought into your wishes that you will feel like you are a kid again, writing your wishlist for Santa himself... Anybody else remembers that feeling ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck!

I'm at 48 games and 27 expansions, and I have bought only one truly new game this year, and it was 15eur Star Realms. Because I had played the free PC version so many times, I thought I owe it to myself (and the publisher) to have the physical copy too. (And we have played the physical copy 8 times in two months.)

I have bought two copies of Ascension: Apprentice Edition to give as gifts (I already had Ascension: Deckbuilding Game), but already gave away one of them. I have bought a moderate number of expansions (most of which for Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game). But no new games besides Star Realms.

I'm constantly looking at new games that would be 8 or higher for our group, and support 5 players. It does not seem to be that easy. But there are a few candidates that are probably going to be available over here next year.

Ah, thdizzy reminded me that the 2014 10x10 Plays Challenge (twice!) and the 100 Play Challenge have helped keep playing certain games enough times instead of dreaming about buying more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best of luck! I really agree that the hobby should be about playing games, not buying games. This year I've really cut back on buying games and started playing the games I have more. I found that it's just as fun as a hobby. Besides, if you have a chance to play in a game group, someone else usually buys the newer games anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine keeps getting these amazing out of print games, like Slide 5 and Cleopatra and the Society of Architects. That's cool, because I won't pay exorbitant prices for any of them but I get to play them anyway!

I am not a PnPer but I love social games so I am going to try to print Spyfall and bring it to game night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best of luck with your endeavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But, Star Wars: Armada.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck! I'm going to make a commitment to buy only 3 specific games next year, if they come out: Dungeon Petz reprint, SeaFall, and Pandemic Legacy: Season 1. Expansions don't count, because I love expanding on game systems I already own and am familiar with (I also play 2 LCG's!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyur wrote:
Wishing you good luck and even better nerves here. I don't know you personally, but I am aware that this would be very tough for about 95% of the people here, including myself, as it is a fantastic time to be a board gamer.

Maybe you are lucky and 2015 will be a bad year for board games (at least for your personal taste), although I doubt it, as the hobby is currently in full bloom.

By the way: what about borrowing games or Print and Play games ? This challenge about the buying aspect, right ?

There is a lot of great games coming out and bazilion of older ones that I have not yet tried, but I think - and that is the purpose here - that I should focus on playing of games I own instead of looking for the new ones.

I can borrow and print out games but I think that won't happen - it doesn't nowadays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you have a problem and should seek professional help. I don't think it is healthy to have such a strong urge to stop buying games. There have been study after study that NOT buying games is hazardous to a gamer's health.

Again, seek professional help. Places like CSI and others have professionals standing by.

I wish you well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Pedro Cotrim
Portugal
Coimbra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck. I set a similar challenge for me back in the beginning on November, "no more new games until the end of 2014".

I failed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you come to the realization that >90% of the time you will never get your games played, your smarter half will tell you to stop buying. Of course not all of us will arrive at this conclusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracey Johns
msg tools
mb
Good luck I hope you succeed. I've got so many games and we always seem to play the same ones so need to work out a rota system for them. Xmas is the worst time for me as I buy games for my husband and kids just so I can have more lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb K.
United States
LaVergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been thinking of doing something similar. Last night I stared at the huge stacks of shrink wrapped games in the middle of my living room that I have been receiving this past week from Black Friday impulse purchases and wondering what in the world I was thinking. I will probably only play 10% of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread makes me feel so much better about myself.

Hey, games don't go bad, and you'll get them played eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woody Taylor
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
godunow wrote:
I am also tempted to join 10x10 initiative but I'm pretty sure I would fail. Need to think about it...

I say go for it. I'm participating in this year's 10x10 Challenge and it's been a hoot. It's coming down to the wire and I'm not sure I'll complete the challenge, but it's been well worth it even if I don't.

I'm somewhat guilty of the cult of the new and bright and shiny. I love opening the shrink-wrap and punching the pieces, but I feel the 10x10 Challenge has allowed me to focus and appreciate the games I own even more.

Good luck!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.