Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
I learned that AH-64Ds were capable of using radar-guided AGM-114L Hellfire missiles, and from what I understood - These things are fire-and-forget missiles compared to the laser-guided AGM-114's.
So therefore, I'm thinking up of a set of rules regarding AGM-114's on AH-64Ds having the independent ability and possibly having to hit targets on a two as opposed to four.
If you have any objections or suggestions, please tell me soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandvp124_seraph wrote:
If you have any objections...please tell me soon!

I object!! how dare you alter and experiment with the rules of a solo game system! Can you not see how you would be cheating yourself if your experimental testing of your ideas caused you to win by a landslide. How could you ever live with that...

Seriously though... try it out a few times see how it feels if you think it's a balanced cool variant. Write it up and submit it as a file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

One potential snag is that most "I" weapons cost SO points. They're really potent in terms of one of the games core issues of prioritizing targets. If they're "free" like regular Mavericks they're going to make many situations a lot easier, and bump your score up. Experiment to be sure, but I think that unless there's an artificial limit or you bump up the point scale you're going to get higher scores with the 114L than you would otherwise.

Am I mixing up Hornet Leader and TAL again? But you se my point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NWS Wargaming Store
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The US Army has far more SALH Hellfires in stock then MMW versions. MMW is also reliant on the Longbow radar which only equips about 1 in 3 Apache D models - they are very expensive. That alone should make the SO very expensive and not always readily available.

MMW Hellfires are true fire-and-forget weapons (Ever play the PC game Longbow?) which makes them extremely useful for knocking out AAA/SAM units from long range while the AH-64D remains behind defilade cover. Several MMW Hellfires can be launched in rapid succession once the target locations are fed into the MMW seekers.

When using "PopUP" reduce the chance of being detected as the AH-64 only needs to make a quick radar "sweep" and then drop back down again before firing. For SALH launches the AH-64 needs to remain exposed until the Hellfire hits the target.

Thanks.
Christopher Dean
NWS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
andreww wrote:

One potential snag is that most "I" weapons cost SO points. They're really potent in terms of one of the games core issues of prioritizing targets. If they're "free" like regular Mavericks they're going to make many situations a lot easier, and bump your score up. Experiment to be sure, but I think that unless there's an artificial limit or you bump up the point scale you're going to get higher scores with the 114L than you would otherwise.

Am I mixing up Hornet Leader and TAL again? But you se my point.

Quote:
The US Army has far more SALH Hellfires in stock then MMW versions. MMW is also reliant on the Longbow radar which only equips about 1 in 3 Apache D models - they are very expensive. That alone should make the SO very expensive and not always readily available.

MMW Hellfires are true fire-and-forget weapons (Ever play the PC game Longbow?) which makes them extremely useful for knocking out AAA/SAM units from long range while the AH-64D remains behind defilade cover. Several MMW Hellfires can be launched in rapid succession once the target locations are fed into the MMW seekers.

When using "PopUP" reduce the chance of being detected as the AH-64 only needs to make a quick radar "sweep" and then drop back down again before firing. For SALH launches the AH-64 needs to remain exposed until the Hellfire hits the target.

Thanks.
Christopher Dean
NWS

You certainly were mixing up the two, Andrew. Mavericks don't come for free, and I'd see reason to bump up the SO cost from 1 to 2 points due to the overall expensive quality of the AGM-114L MMW's (Actually, I found out about their abilities from Microprose's Gunship 2000, that game was made back when the AH-64C was considered to be the best Longbow candidate).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
NWS Online Store wrote:

Thanks.
Christopher Dean
NWS

Could you give me a bit of clarification on the "reduce the chance of being detected thing"? I'm a little confused - Do I have to raise the altitude and back? But definitely as I said before - I'll bump up the SO cost on the MMW versions, and then test it out at some point... At this time, I've got Longbow Gold [Has the Baltic Hammer and Flashpoint Korea campaigns] - So I know the ins and outs of the AH-64D now. My only concern is how I can fit this in with your realistic payload rules and Monovektor's would-be variant of TAL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NWS Wargaming Store
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I added a variant rule,

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1304897/optional-payload-rul...

Thanks
Christopher Dean
NWS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.