Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: 4 word skill checks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So have a question. Some boon's have a 4 word skill check, somethin like:
dexterity
Athleticism
Wisdom
Perception

How does this work? Do I need both dexterity-athleticism and wisdom-perception, do I roll al die and get al modifiers, do I choose one. Say I dont have atleticism, nor perception, do I use dex and wisdom die, or 2 d4.
Confused about how to do these checks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Newgard
United States
Flagstaff
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it means you can use one of the four skills to attempt the check. Not every character may have some of the checks, but those that do can use them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That just means that you must pass one of those 4 checks, with a difficulty of 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is from the English rulebook. I realize you might be using a translated edition, especially given your mention of Athleticism, which isn't a term in the English edition. I'm guessing that is how Acrobatics got translated.

RotR Rulebook p11 wrote:
Attempting a Check Each check to defeat or acquire a card lists one or more skills; you may choose any of the listed skills for your check. For example, if a check lists Dexterity, Disable, Strength, and Melee, you may use any one of those skills to attempt your check.

So you pick any of the skills above the difficulty number and you attempt the check with that skill. Whatever skills you don't pick, you aren't making that kind of check. However...

Let us pretend we have Seoni and Ezren. Seoni has put 1 skill feat into her Charisma and 1 skill feat into her Intelligence. So she has Intelligence: d6 +2, Charisma: d12 +1 and Arcane: Charisma +2. Ezren has put 3 skill feats into his Intelligence. So he has Intelligence: d12 +3 and Arcane: Intelligence + 2.

Now let us say there was a check of
Intelligence
Arcane

If Ezren where attempting that check, he could choose Intelligence or Arcane. If he choose Intelligence, he'd roll his d12 and add his +3 skill feat modifier. If he chose Arcane he'd roll his d12 Intelligence and add his +3 skill feat modifier and his +2 Arcane modifier.

If Seoni were attempting that check, she could choose Intelligence or Arcane. If she chose Intelligence, she'd roll her d6 Intelligence and add her +2 skill feat modifier. If she chose Arcane, she'd roll her d12 Charisma and add her +1 skill feat modifier and her +2 Arcane.

When Ezren makes an Arcane check, he is also making an Intelligence check. When Seoni makes an Arcane check, she is also making a Charisma check.

So even though you might be tempted to assume some relation between the various skills, don't. You choose a skill to attempt the check with and ignore the existence of the other skills. If Merisiel makes a Perception check, she is also making a Wisdom check because Merisiel's character card says her Perception relates to her Wisdom.

I hope that all helps. Good luck on your adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thnx, it's al clear now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.