Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Bugs

Subject: Cannot hide Women and Gaming forum rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: OP_deleted [+] [View All]
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a Women and Gaming forum? Didn't know that. I think I'll check it out. Thanks.
22 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Osprey wrote:
There's a Women and Gaming forum? Didn't know that. I think I'll check it out. Thanks.


Visit the Forum, purchase the microbadge:

mb
21 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Knight
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Osprey wrote:
There's a Women and Gaming forum? Didn't know that. I think I'll check it out. Thanks.


Visit the Forum, purchase the microbadge:

mb


If I only had the geekgold...

Second worst thing about this debacle is the besmirching of the Sho Nuff avatar...

We can all guess the actual worst thing...
8 
 Thumb up
18.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You could just, y'know, not click on those threads, or something.

But I got your message.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually just ignore those forums too but a few threads recently peaked my interest and now regret checking them out. There's certainly a lot of hate generated there on both sides. soblue
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they have valid concerns, and sympathize with their situation. There's a thread there now where they're trying to deal with some issues, and the last couple pages I looked at has more posts by men than women. That feels wrong to me. I had a couple of things I might have said, but chose not to. I doubt the reason they started a Women & Gaming forum in the first place was to provide a platform for well-meaning men to advise them. There are a lot of smart ladies there; none of us are going to tell them anything they don't know.
71 
 Thumb up
4.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Osprey wrote:
There's a Women and Gaming forum? Didn't know that. I think I'll check it out. Thanks.


Visit the Forum, purchase the microbadge:

mb


Purchased. Thanks for pointing it out Pete.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Silva
Portugal
Matosinhos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I too would like to block some forums from the front page. Does this work or not?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you block a forum? I searched for "how do you block a forum" and you know I got? Pages and pages of women and gaming posts that I didn't feel like diving into.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar

Go to the forum list (you can use the drop-down menu up top), scroll down to it, and set the subscription button to block.

(You can block individual game subforums the same way)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Bug?? Feature!!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
Avatar
mbmb
Your not allowed to hide it otherwise you could avoid the pretenious first world drivel posted there.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Silva
Portugal
Matosinhos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seahawk wrote:

Go to the forum list (you can use the drop-down menu up top), scroll down to it, and set the subscription button to block.

(You can block individual game subforums the same way)


Doesn't work.
Going to Account and selecting on the Forum Filters doesn't either.

Doesn't work for General Gaming, for instance.

Tried on Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:34.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/34.0
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McNeil
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JimbobJones wrote:
Due to issues with what I feel is a fairly hostile environment (to anyone that has even the slightest difference in opinion from the "status quo"), I've tried blocking the Women and Gaming forum in the forum filters.


OH NOES! WOMEN ARE BEING ALLOWED TO SPEAK THEIR MINDS AS IF THEY WERE REAL PEOPLE WITH ACTUAL OPINIONS AND I AM NOT ABLE TO PRETEND THEY DON'T EXIST!
14 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
smcneil wrote:
JimbobJones wrote:
Due to issues with what I feel is a fairly hostile environment (to anyone that has even the slightest difference in opinion from the "status quo"), I've tried blocking the Women and Gaming forum in the forum filters.


OH NOES! WOMEN ARE BEING ALLOWED TO SPEAK THEIR MINDS AS IF THEY WERE REAL PEOPLE WITH ACTUAL OPINIONS AND I AM NOT ABLE TO PRETEND THEY DON'T EXIST!



Erm, read better?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
smcneil wrote:
JimbobJones wrote:
Due to issues with what I feel is a fairly hostile environment (to anyone that has even the slightest difference in opinion from the "status quo"), I've tried blocking the Women and Gaming forum in the forum filters.


OH NOES! WOMEN ARE BEING ALLOWED TO SPEAK THEIR MINDS AS IF THEY WERE REAL PEOPLE WITH ACTUAL OPINIONS AND I AM NOT ABLE TO PRETEND THEY DON'T EXIST!



Erm, read better?


I think he did. It isn't clear who you are claiming is creating this environment. Since it is a forum that discusses women in gaming it seems that you are referring to the forum moderator or women in general.

I'm also confused as to how you hope to "block" it? Is it that you want to hide it from sight because you don't have enough self control to resist? Won't your curiosity mean that you seek it out anyway? Pretending that it does not exist won't make it go away.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McNeil
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:



Erm, read better?


My reading skills are excellent. I can read the lines, and between them.

However, I have never read anything in the Women and Gaming forum so intimidating that it made me want to hide from it, or made me wish it didn't exist.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a necro'd thread back from 1972 isn't it?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All I want to do is hide forums that are specifically aimed for not me. I wouldn't mind hiding other forums I am not interested in either. They take up space on my front page and I will never look at them. Accusations and snide smugness aside, what I really want is hiding, not blocking.

Some of you guys really need to get off your little PC train and relax.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Unable to Reproduce Bug. Thanks, Obama!
This thread belongs in Complaints or RSP. A rant with a vague test case stapled to it is not a proper bug report. Predictably, the replies keeping this thread alive are about the rant, not diagnosis or repair.

I tested filtering several forums via My Geek > Account > Forum Filters, including "Women and Gaming", and all of them worked for the "Forums" menu views (i.e., Recent, Hot, and Active). None applied to the front page. The behavior is consistent; I am unable to reproduce what the OP describes.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LurkingMeeple wrote:
This thread belongs in Complaints or RSP. A rant with a vague test case stapled to it is not a proper bug report. Predictably, the replies keeping this thread alive are about the rant, not diagnosis or repair.

I tested filtering several forums via My Geek > Account > Forum Filters, including "Women and Gaming", and all of them worked for the "Forums" menu views (i.e., Recent, Hot, and Active). None applied to the front page. The behavior is consistent; I am unable to reproduce what the OP describes.


Talking purely about the technical part of the question. Is it possible to choose not to have a specific forum (any forum) out of ones front page? I am not talking about changing from HOT to RECENT or otherwise, just to filter a forum (any forum) that somebody is not interested out.

I thought it wasn't possible but the post above seems to indicate otherwise.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
LurkingMeeple wrote:
This thread belongs in Complaints or RSP. A rant with a vague test case stapled to it is not a proper bug report. Predictably, the replies keeping this thread alive are about the rant, not diagnosis or repair.

I tested filtering several forums via My Geek > Account > Forum Filters, including "Women and Gaming", and all of them worked for the "Forums" menu views (i.e., Recent, Hot, and Active). None applied to the front page. The behavior is consistent; I am unable to reproduce what the OP describes.


Talking purely about the technical part of the question. Is it possible to choose not to have a specific forum (any forum) out of ones front page? I am not talking about changing from HOT to RECENT or otherwise, just to filter a forum (any forum) that somebody is not interested out.

I thought it wasn't possible but the post above seems to indicate otherwise.

I wasn't sure what "None applied to the front page." meant ("These settings don't affect the front page"? "These forums no longer showed posts onto the front page"?). But twiddling the mentioned settings doesn't change which forums I see on the front page, so it seems not to address OP's question of not wanting to see a specific forum. Or perhaps I am misunderstanding something.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimbob,
Over the last many months I have enjoyed reading your posts in the Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game and the Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients forums. Although I don't hang out in the women and gaming sections, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience there that you feel the need to hide those forums.
A sincerely Merry Christmas and happy gaming to you for the upcoming New Year. I'll see you around in the game forums.

Starla
3 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Ronaldo wrote:
Is it possible to choose not to have a specific forum (any forum) out of ones front page?

Not that I'm aware.

russ wrote:
twiddling the mentioned settings doesn't change which forums I see on the front page, so it seems not to address OP's question of not wanting to see a specific forum.

The OP states that blocking the Women and Gaming (W&G) forum "doesn't work, though all other forums hide fine". (My emphasis.) I attempted to reproduce this bug report, but I found no difference among forums:
1. All filters were ignored for the front page.
2. All filters were honored for "Forum" menu views. (See the menu two spots to the right of "My Geek".) For example, Forums > Hot is:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/browse/region/1?sort=ho...

I think it's reasonable to suggest adding filters and/or other customization to the front page, but I can't help much with that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
LurkingMeeple wrote:
The OP states that blocking the Women and Gaming (W&G) forum "doesn't work, though all other forums hide fine". (My emphasis.) I attempted to reproduce this bug report, but I found no difference among forums:

Good point, I forgot about that assertion that the W&G forum was somehow exceptional and that others could be hidden fine.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.