Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Rhoden
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious as to how long it takes to play a full game. Does it actually take 2 hours to play, or can it be finished faster? I'm asking specifically about the board game version, not the digital version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
x411811x wrote:
I was curious as to how long it takes to play a full game. Does it actually take 2 hours to play, or can it be finished faster? I'm asking specifically about the board game version, not the digital version.

It is one of those "depends how you decide to play it" type games. If you just try to get 3 main goals accomplished as quick as possible and choose the easiest to accomplish goals, you the game will go fairly quick. If nobody is doing that, it can take a bit.

It also depends a lot on your group. You get a lot of turns, if you have somebody who is AP prone or isn't quick with making choices, the game will feel like it is dragging. If everyone knows vaguely what they want to do, not that much changes between turns that you need to spend a lot of time thinking at the start of your turn.

I imagine the game will go even quicker after you know all the cards so that you don't spend as much time reading them.

Also, the game will be longer with more people.

I haven't played enough to know how fast the game could be completed. The digital game says that a 3 quest game should take 40-70 minutes, so that might be a good ballpark for how fast the game could go. (the digital game isn't that fast...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say 45 minutes per player. Maybe faster if you skip flavor text, but then you are missing the point of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hornless Unicorn
msg tools
And another 100GG on this
badge
I just spent 100GG on this
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
If you just try to get 3 main goals accomplished as quick as possible and choose the easiest to accomplish goals, you the game will go fairly quick.

You must do this is you want to win. You need to maximize the VP/action gain. And the best return is given by completing 'easy' main quests, "Goto X" side-quests, and "kill 1 monster" side-quests.

In my experience a 3 Quest game lasts ~25 turns. Once you know what you're doing you can complete your turn in ~1 min, so an average of 25min per player.

Keep in mind that because of the multiplayer-solitaire nature of the game, the witcher is best with 2..maybee with 3, but there is no point in playing it with 4 since all you do is add downtime.

A 2p game is over in less than 1h, wile for a 3p game maybe 80 min.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
thesleeper7 wrote:
mfl134 wrote:
If you just try to get 3 main goals accomplished as quick as possible and choose the easiest to accomplish goals, you the game will go fairly quick.

You must do this is you want to win. You need to maximize the VP/action gain. And the best return is given by completing 'easy' main quests, "Goto X" side-quests, and "kill 1 monster" side-quests.

In my experience a 3 Quest game lasts ~25 turns. Once you know what you're doing you can complete your turn in ~1 min, so an average of 25min per player.

Keep in mind that because of the multiplayer-solitaire nature of the game, the witcher is best with 2..maybee with 3, but there is no point in playing it with 4 since all you do is add downtime.

Try having all 4 heroes in a region where the only monster is an Elemental (before rolling: each hero in the region suffers a severe wound).

Also playing with 4 people opens up for choices for support quests, which is a decent exchange rate.

playing on the app i've been doing 15-20 turns when going with that approach, so perhaps the game can be even quicker.

I haven't explored the game enough to say that doing the quick questing is the only way to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a couple 2-players games this weekend and both were under 2h30 mainly because we enjoyed the simple mechanics and fun gameplay, we read most of the lore on cards and just had fun playing it.

Yarpen is a pretty cool character!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Rhoden
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a play in last night with my wife, and it ended up taking about 2 hours and 15 minutes. After we got the hang of the game, our turns went from about 2 minutes each down to about 30 - 60 seconds depending on if there was combat or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I taught it too 3 new people. We played to 3 quests, and read flavor text. Finished in 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
Try having all 4 heroes in a region where the only monster is an Elemental (before rolling: each hero in the region suffers a severe wound).

Heh, I just brought the game to my LGS and taught it to 3 other players, and that's (almost) exactly what happened cry

Halfway through an otherwise enjoyable game, our Bard and Mage got caught by the Elemental (Gold monster) and they were both massively injured. As Geralt (and as a friend in the real world), I rushed to the scene as fast as I could and killed the Elemental. Nevertheless our Bard player lost a lot of time healing himself and he finished a distant 4th.

To answer the OP's question on total game-time, I would say it took us roughly half an hour to go through setup and explanation and then around 3 hours to complete 3 quests with a lot of flavor-text reading. I arrived at the store at 2:30 and by a little after 6:00 we were already playing our Imp Assault campaign, so within that time-frame.

With one game under your belt, 2 hours should be enough for a full game, even with four players. Each turn tends to go very fast until you complete a quest, at which point you have to "draw 2, keep 1" and that can take a couple extra minutes, depending on the player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.