Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This situation came up in our last game. The leading player went to the outer island where the Legendary Pirate (LP) was located. I wanted to use the Royal Navy (RN) Intercept card to send the RN to that island to fight the leading player. However, there is language in the Royal Navy section of the rulebook that says "the Royal Navy never fights Legendary Pirates" (paraphrased from memory). Does that language mean I can't send the RN to an outer island where the LP resides, even if another player is there?

Since this game can suffer from the runaway leader problem, I thought my strategy of having the RN and LP ganging up on the leading player was a good one. But if the RN is prevented from going to that island just because the LP is there, that would take away a good strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BibKamp318
Belgium
Beerse [near Turnhout]
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure you can. Remember in the game all players are pirates. So the Royal Navy obviously is an enemy as well as a Legendary Pirat.
Typically a very good trick to slow down a leading player.

The rules also state in which order the player needs to fight against the LP & RN, but I don't know that by heart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mvettemagred wrote:
This situation came up in our last game. The leading player went to the outer island where the Legendary Pirate (LP) was located. I wanted to use the Royal Navy (RN) Intercept card to send the RN to that island to fight the leading player. However, there is language in the Royal Navy section of the rulebook that says "the Royal Navy never fights Legendary Pirates" (paraphrased from memory). Does that language mean I can't send the RN to an outer island where the LP resides, even if another player is there?

Since this game can suffer from the runaway leader problem, I thought my strategy of having the RN and LP ganging up on the leading player was a good one. But if the RN is prevented from going to that island just because the LP is there, that would take away a good strategy.

This is a sound strategy and permissible by the rules. You just can't use the Royal Navy to help you gang up on the Legendary Pirate. But you can most certainly have the LP and RN gang up on the runaway Player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.