Greed» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question regarding "Vicious" Syd Varney rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Hall
United States
Maine
flag msg tools

I have played Greed about 15-20 times now and have thoroughly enjoyed each of my experiences. I have run into a couple of card combinations that I haven't been able to figure. Both combinations involve Syd Varney's "Next turn, you ignore costs."

The first card in question is Relocate!. The cost involves putting a holding back into my hand and the next turn playing a holding to the table with two more markers than were on the holding I paid. If I ignore costs, how does this scenario play out?

The second card is Liquidate! The cost is a holding and I collect $15,000 for each marker on the holding I paid. If I ignore the cost, have I actually paid?

Thanks for any and all help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that in both cases it just doesn't make sense to play those cards after one another.

In both cases the "costs" are not really bad for you (as costs usually are), but rather opportunities in your favor.

"Relocate!" let's you tear down a building, to to build it again "somewhere else, in a more profitable location" (speaking thematically). If you don't tear it down (pay the cost), you simple cannot relocate it.

Same with "Liquidate!". If you ignore the cost and pay zero, you get $15k for each of the zero markers you paid back, ie. $0

Imaging an even simpler Action card, let's call it "Stock Market Magic", that's has a cost "Pay any amount of $", an effect "Get the double amount back." -- If you'd ignore the cost on this, you'd effectively pay $0, so you'd get back: $0.

That's how I would play it. With the theme in mind. "Vicious" Syd Varney basically is a very, well, persuasive guy, who can make good deals for you, but he cannot magically move buildings...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
PalookaJim wrote:
The first card in question is Relocate!. The cost involves putting a holding back into my hand and the next turn playing a holding to the table with two more markers than were on the holding I paid. If I ignore costs, how does this scenario play out?

The second card is Liquidate! The cost is a holding and I collect $15,000 for each marker on the holding I paid. If I ignore the cost, have I actually paid?

For Relocate, you get 2 extra markers on any holdings played the next turn, but that's it, just the 2. For Liquidate, you get no $. In both cases, you didn't pay the cost, so there weren't any markers on "the holding you paid."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.