Subject: Flip-Dice System rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Gossett
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
I've tried a house rule combining the dice-flipping mechanic from Moto Grand Prix, and that seems to have livened things up a bit.

For those unfamiliar with Moto Grand Prix, it uses two regular D6s which you can flip over to the opposite side for more control of your bike. How you can flip is restricted by where you are on the track:
-In straights you can flip both.
-In difficulty 1 corners, you can flip only the lower die.
-In difficulty 2 corners, you can only flip the higher die.
-In difficulty 3 corners, you can only flip die to decrease the roll.

With this in mind, I've translated this over to Motorchamp as follows:
-The initial roll still counts towards the speed limit of a space. No flipping die lower to avoid a spin.
-In dark spaces you can only flip to decelerate.
-In medium spaces you can only flip one die.
-In light spaces you can flip both regular die
-The bonus die can never be flipped.

Doing this has given me a little more control as a driver. I now have more control over where I go, how much I want to push my luck, and how hard I want to drive. It's prevented some unrealistic and frustratingly low numbers on the long pit straight. Nothing is worse than flooring it out of the final turn and rolling a dismal number.

Some other variants I use:
-ALWAYS use the "short course" gate, even when on the long tracks. This allows everyone to get going faster and helps prevent going a lap down before you've even taken the first turn.
-A minor variant to crash rules, which I thought were a little harsh, especially for how much luck is involved:
-Instead of waiting for 2 cars to pass to return, just wait 2 turns. It makes spin recoveries much more consistent and realistic.
-Rolling 1 over the limit is a spin as usual, but instead of 2 over resulting in a retirement, you simply spin as usual and return to the track with a damage marker. A roll of 3 over the limit is a crash out.

Let me know what you think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.