Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's often a lot of discussion here about bias and how it can impact society. This blog post uses game theory and some interesting graphics/simulations to illustrate how small individual biases can be magnified to have larger cultural impact. Given how much we discuss the existence/non-existence or importance/unimportance of bias, I figured I'd share it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Seifert
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the website, a world in which everyone gets the amount of diversity that they enjoy is a harmful one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
United Kingdom
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a sandbox that lets you set who has what biases? Because it's all well and good to have everyone wanting some diversity or no one but the real model is a mixture. I would like to see what happens when you programme it with 25% of people prefer to be with 100% of the same shape, 25% being unhappy with 100% of same shape and 50% not giving a fuck either way what shape lives near them.

Also I find it offensive to suggest that I'm missing out on a different skin colour in my life. I was not aware that being brown gave you a unique quality that I couldn't get any other way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scott3387 wrote:
Is there a sandbox...

I don't know - you'd have to poke around the site. They do have a number of other simulations linked at the bottom.

I thought it was interesting as an illustration, even if it doesn't represent a mix of preferences.

Quote:
Also I find it offensive to suggest that I'm missing out on a different skin colour in my life. I was not aware that being brown gave you a unique quality that I couldn't get any other way.

Interesting. I didn't associate it with skin color or race exclusively, but anything that could lead to bias. Religion, specific ethnicity (Irish vs. Scottish vs. Italian), etc. It's not until you get to the very end that they even mention race at all, and that's mostly to point at the research that the site was based on. Within that text, they also point to work that involves male-female distinctions and "bad apples" having an outsized impact on communities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
If you liked that article, go read the source, by Schelling. He goes far deeper in Micromotives and Macrobehavior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.