Popular Tags: [View All]
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an interesting story about eight women who did not get credit for their inventions or discoveries, including Rosalind Franklin, who first discovered the DNA double helix.

Ladies Last: 8 Inventions by Women That Dudes Got Credit For.

Here is the one most relevant to BGG:
Murphy & Raja wrote:
Elizabeth Magie, Monopoly: Charles Darrow, an unemployed heating salesman, traditionally gets credit for America's favorite homage to extortionist landlords. But as PBS discovered in 2004, the board game actually had its start nearly three decades earlier when Magie, an acolyte of the economist Henry George, secured to the patent to The Landlord's Game. For her efforts in creating the country's most popular board game she received just $500 from Parker Brothers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh good , more retcon from the left. Remember when everyone in history who did anything of any significance was really secretly gay, now everyone who did anything of significance was a woman. What happens if a gay man in history has his accomplishments because of a woman. who then get credit ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, not you, obviously, since nothing you have ever done or ever will do is of the slightest importance to anybody but yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
oh good , more retcon from the left. Remember when everyone in history who did anything of any significance was really secretly gay, now everyone who did anything of significance was a woman. What happens if a gay man in history has his accomplishments because of a woman. who then get credit ?

Jeremy, you have taken some indefensibly low, small-minded positions, but I thought even you were above suggesting that Monopoly is an accomplishment of significance. Finally we have an atrocity which people aren't holding us poor, downtrodden white guys responsible for, and you object?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
United Kingdom
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Ladies Last: 8 Inventions by Women That Dudes Got Credit For

Quote:
Candace Pert, opioid receptor

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scott3387 wrote:
Quote:
Ladies Last: 8 Inventions by Women That Dudes Got Credit For

Quote:
Candace Pert, opioid receptor

whistle

Well, to be fair the guy discovered it. Candace just nagged and nagged him until he snapped and said "I would rather shoot a refined version of this plant straight into my veins than have to coherently listen to another damn word you say, woman." So yeah, she's responsible for the discovery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true the landlords game contains many features monopoly has, but how similar are they?

Also I have to say

Inventions no one gives a damn about for some of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate it when inventions go to the credit of a single person. In most of these scenarios it wasn't a single person who invented it.. they may have had the fundamental (initial) idea, or worked on it the most... but only in rare cases is something fully and truly invented by one person single-handedly.

Also.. most of this stuff is useless... just sayin'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:

Jeremy, you have taken some indefensibly low, small-minded positions, but I thought even you were above suggesting that Monopoly is an accomplishment of significance. Finally we have an atrocity which people aren't holding us poor, downtrodden white guys responsible for, and you object?
Monopoly isn't too bad, if you play by the rules.

I'll get my coat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Venga2 wrote:

I'll get my coat.

It's better then Fluxx...Although that's not saying much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfbane wrote:
Here is an interesting story about eight women who did not get credit for their inventions or discoveries, including Rosalind Franklin, who first discovered the DNA double helix.

Ladies Last: 8 Inventions by Women That Dudes Got Credit For.

Here is the one most relevant to BGG:
Murphy & Raja wrote:
Elizabeth Magie, Monopoly: Charles Darrow, an unemployed heating salesman, traditionally gets credit for America's favorite homage to extortionist landlords. But as PBS discovered in 2004, the board game actually had its start nearly three decades earlier when Magie, an acolyte of the economist Henry George, secured to the patent to The Landlord's Game. For her efforts in creating the country's most popular board game she received just $500 from Parker Brothers.

Elizabeth Magie didn't invent anything, she designed a board game.

The Landlord game, though similar, has a different board configuration, as well as a slew of rules that are quite different.

It I fair to say that Monopoly is inspired by the Landlord's game.

In no respect are they actually the same game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venga2 wrote:

I'll get my coat.

And don't forget your hat, no excuses to come back for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Remember when everyone in history who did anything of any significance was really secretly gay, now everyone who did anything of significance was a woman.

"anyone" and "everything"? Exaggerate much? If you can even come up with three examples of people trying to out significant historical figures as gay, I'd be surprised. I know the PC boogie man scares you, but try to temper your rhetoric, you make even the dumbest PC-Hater seem reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Who invented the fake orgasm?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
Remember when everyone in history who did anything of any significance was really secretly gay, now everyone who did anything of significance was a woman.

"anyone" and "everything"? Exaggerate much? If you can even come up with three examples of people trying to out significant historical figures as gay, I'd be surprised. I know the PC boogie man scares you, but try to temper your rhetoric, you make even the dumbest PC-Hater seem reasonable.
Bernard Law Montgomery

Marie Antoinette

Florence Nightingale

Have all been outed without any evidacen beyond assumption (and in the case of Antoinette political character assassination).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
"anyone" and "everything"? Exaggerate much? If you can even come up with three examples of people trying to out significant historical figures as gay, I'd be surprised.

Jesus was gay, Lincoln Was gay , Christopher Columbus was gay, Alexander the Great was gay ! all of them were gay, at least according to the gay mafia.

TheChin! wrote:
I know the PC boogie man scares you, but try to temper your rhetoric, you make even the dumbest PC-Hater seem reasonable.

And now , you can come out !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Bernard Law Montgomery

Marie Antoinette

Florence Nightingale

Have all been outed without any evidacen beyond assumption (and in the case of Antoinette political character assassination).

Interesting, I hadn't heard any of those, the only person I could come up with was Lincoln.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

Jesus was gay, Lincoln Was gay , Christopher Columbus was gay, Alexander the Great was gay ! all of them were gay, at least according to the gay mafia.

You got me, that is literally everyone.

Is the gay mafia extorting protection money from you? I just wonder why you are so mad at them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Is the gay mafia extorting protection money from you? I just wonder why you are so mad at them.

Nope, they are still mad at me for converting so many gay women to straight. In fact, hetero women are also advised to keep a safe distance and not come into contact with me for fear of getting pregnant through osmosis.... It's a blessing and a curse.

Remember Anne Heche ? you're welcome....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And in keeping with the current RSP trends, Hitler is another historical figure outed as gay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

Nope, they are still mad at me for converting so many gay women to straight. In fact, hetero women are also advised to keep a safe distance and not come into contact with me for fear of getting pregnant through osmosis.... It's a blessing and a curse.

Your the one banging on about them, not the other way around.

Were you touched by a gay as a child?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

And now , you can come out !

Why don't we announce together?

(music starts at :31)

You stitch me up good, and you cut me down
So I string you up to keep you hanging around
You dish the hot stuff up but you keep me waiting
So I'll play it dirty 'til your body is breaking

We've got to make love, the time is right
We've got to make love tonight
'Cause we're burnin' up

You make me greedy, you won't feed me my food
But I'll make out easy, 'cause I see straight through you
You cool me off and hot me up and that's not right
'Cause you'll get hungry in the heat of the night

And then we'll make love, just when it's right
And when we make love tonight
We'll be burnin' up

I know you feel the same
I know you feel the flame
Staring deep inside of you
Burnin' you up, breaking ya down
Breakin' you out in a cold sweat

And as you lose control, of your very soul
Your desire takes over
You'll feel the heat sway
You're round to my way
And suddenly you'll know that you're burnin' up

You stitch me up good, and you cut me down
So I string you up to keep you hanging around
You dish the hot stuff up but you keep me waiting
So I'll play it dirty 'til your body is breaking

We've got to make love, the time is right
We've got to make love tonight
'Cause we're burnin' up
We're burnin' up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

Ah, so you're the Ellen look-alike she fell for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently Marie Curie took lots of shit when she competed against a man for the only available physicist seat in the French Academy of Sciences in 1910. Her colleague and fellow science-doer Albert Einstein wrote her a letter for moral support, however, calling the trolls of their day "reptiles".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crap thread title, poor source snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.