23 Posts

Dig Down Dwarf» Forums » Rules

Subject: Called 3 of a kind Rubies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Cooper
msg tools
mb
What's to prevent players from always calling they are going for rubies?
Is there a penalty for not getting the 3 of a kind?
Can they not collect another stone type that turn if they call it but don't make it?
Seems odd to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I understand the question. If you do not collect the three of a kind you are stuck with what you got.

What are you exactly trying to achieve here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leder
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that if you declare you are going for rubies, then that's the ONLY type of gem you can get on that turn, so it's a risk to go for them because you my end up with nothing for that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Cooper
msg tools
mb
excellent!
That makes since.
The rules didn't explicitly state if you were limited to only rubies once you declared you were going for them.
It makes perfect since for there to be some penalty for "calling" it and not making it.
Otherwise you could call it any time rubies were on the table and if you lucked into 3 of a kind at the end of your roll take them.
Thanks for the input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Glover
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris is correct. If you declare you are going after the rubies, then that is the only gem type you can obtain that turn regardless of your ending rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyGnome wrote:
Chris is correct. If you declare you are going after the rubies, then that is the only gem type you can obtain that turn regardless of your ending rolls.

How does cursite factor into this? If there are rubies and cursite on the table, and I call a three of a kind but wind up with a pair instead (the cursite roll), do I get stuck with the cursite?

In my opinion you should, since it's cursite, after all. Otherwise you could just call rubies every turn (as long as there are some) and never worry about picking up the cursite, letting some other dwarf grab them accidentally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Calling rubies every turn means you're either getting rubies or NOTHING at all, meaning no sapphires, no emeralds, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sparr Risher
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are rubies an addition to the game after the PnP version was released?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leder
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sparr0 wrote:
Are rubies an addition to the game after the PnP version was released?

Yes, the Rubies were added as the $30,000 stretch goal, providing an interesting ability and allowing a 5th player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cursite is intended to be a penalty, hence the negative value. If your called ruby roll ends up being a single pair you should be penalized with cursite if it's there. Otherwise it would be the only sure way to dodge cursite in the game. Not sure that was the intent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Smith
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyGnome wrote:

Jason is very specific when he says that "rubies are the only gem type you can obtain that turn regardless of your ending rolls." No grey area in that statement that I can see. Cursite is a gem and so cannot be acquired if rubies are declared.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Laughlin
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sheldon Smith wrote:
GreyGnome wrote:

Jason is very specific when he says that "rubies are the only gem type you can obtain that turn regardless of your ending rolls." No grey area in that statement that I can see. Cursite is a gem and so cannot be acquired if rubies are declared.

As Cursite was not mentioned in the OP, I'm not sure Jason intended his reply to be definitive on the subject despite the wording. It may be, however it would be great for Jason to weigh in specifically. I can see it going either way: on the one hand, calling for Rubies leaves you with no option to get anything else. On the other hand, if Cursite is present, and you don't want it, that could factor into your decision to call at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've asked Jason direclty on KS. He is very busy with shipping, etc. so he says he hasn't been around BGG lately but will get caught up.

Hopefully, he shoots us back an answer soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Brock

Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And what about if you are playing with "The Gems of Norica"

You call Rubies, you don't get them, and since you got nothing for your turn do you get to draw Gems of Norica?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brockneil wrote:
And what about if you are playing with "The Gems of Norica"

You call Rubies, you don't get them, and since you got nothing for your turn do you get to draw Gems of Norica?

Good question

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Smith
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. A turn consists of rolling for a final result to acquire the gems on the table and/or through the use of a dwarf power. Then "If a player gains no gem(s) by the end of their tun, they may draw up to three gems from the [Gems of Norcia] bag." So, I would think that you DO get to draw Gems of Norcia if you were not able to acquire the rubies you "called." Remember, the Gems of Norcia is an expansion which is not addressed in the original rules. The trigger is added at "the end of their turn."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Swarthout
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
I've asked Jason direclty on KS. He is very busy with shipping, etc. so he says he hasn't been around BGG lately but will get caught up.

Jason, can you answer the Rubies try getting Cursite question?

Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSwarthout wrote:
Carcking wrote:

Jason, can you answer the Rubies try getting Cursite question?

Greg

Maybe this needs a new thread for it to catch Jason's eye

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyGnome wrote:

Maybe the nuance in Jason's statement is in the use of the word "obtain". That word could imply an intent to collect. Being "stuck" with Cursite may not be the same as "obtaining" Cursite. Because you don't want them, you don't obtain them.

Cursite is intended to be a penalty for a failed turn ending with a single pair. Failing at called Rubies has to be a failed turn. In that case, if you end with a single pair, it seems the conditions are met to get stuck with Cursite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor L
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Carcking wrote:
GreyGnome wrote:

Maybe the nuance in Jason's statement is in the use of the word "obtain". That word could imply an intent to collect. Being "stuck" with Cursite may not be the same as "obtaining" Cursite. Because you don't want them, you don't obtain them.

Cursite is intended to be a penalty for a failed turn ending with a single pair. Failing at called Rubies has to be a failed turn. In that case, if you end with a single pair, it seems the conditions are met to get stuck with Cursite.

Perhaps it's cynical of me, but is think it's more likely that Jason didn't think with this degree of precision. The rules in the box don't exhibit it. For example, they should have specified that you don't get other gems if you are "going after the rubies".

Although I agree that it does seem like you ought to get the cursite if you end with just one pair, cursive isn't always bad, because if you have enough of it, it is worth positive VP.

For such a simple game, there are a lot of questions about the rules that the rulebook doesn't answer. We can guess, but we shouldn't have to. I feel like most of these issues would have been caught if there had been adequate blind playtesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
intheory wrote:
...I feel like most of these issues would have been caught if there had been adequate blind playtesting.

Absolutely agree. I see too many KS games that come out with frankly shameful rule sets. I now own six or seven KS games and they seem to have that in common. It's unfortunate really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Mason
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My house rule for this is that if you Declare 3 of a kind, you can only get Rubies, UNLESS you get the four 1's that qualify you for the Diamond (then you can choose Rubies or Diamond).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Smith
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreement with all regarding the gaps in the rules leaving these questions. Even though I bought the Gems of Norcia expansion, I ended up making my own (as well as my own Disney dwarf cards [see images.]) To resolve the ruby question of obtaining gems or not, I changed the gems to metals which still works thematically with the dwarf mining concept. I use 6 standard cubes for each; gold (yellow), silver (grey), copper (brown)and iron (black). The rule interpretation I use is that if you go for rubies and miss, you do not acquire ANY gems (not even cursite.) But you do get to pull 3 metal pieces from the bag. So, a player may strategically go for only 1 ruby just to avoid the possibility of gaining several negative cursites. Also, the 24 pieces I use for the metals makes more sense to me since it is evenly divisible by 3 (the number to draw) and 4 (the number of types.)One note, although I use a separate bag for the cubes, you could just put them in the bag with the gems since it is easy to distinguish between the gems and cubes when drawing from the bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.