Patha
United States
Bay area
California
flag msg tools
mb
a Session report?? I've been reading some of them and they seem to overlap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Reviews go over the gameplay. Sessions go over a game that was played - the specific who did what and won.

Tic Tac Toe review : you get these three things in a row, you win.
Tic Tac Toe session: I started in the middle, he countered lower left...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
To expand a bit...

Reviews should cover the mechanics of the game and give a feel as to why the author likes or dislikes the game.

Sessions should give the feel of "what is it like to play the game?"

IMO, the best reviews are ones which summarize the rules and mechanics simply (they don't nee to duplicate the rule book) and talk about positives and negatives as far as how the elements of the game interact, how it scales with different numbers of players, what the overall "feel" of the game's them is like, etc.

The best session reports are the ones that tell a story and don't simply dump raw stats and mechanics on you (though that may be appropriate too, depending on the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, review is one person's opinion of the quality of a game: Here's what it is about, theme , brief description of mechanics/components/artwork/etc. and, most importantly, whether they like the game or not.

Example:
Quote:
Thurn & Taxis is supposed to be a game about the German postal system. Though it is challenging game, it provides little feel for delivering mail or setting up delivery routes--the game is about trying to cover the board and various provinces as efficiently and quickly as possible.... Despite the thin theme, it is still entertaining enough to get an 8.

A session report is simply the reporting of a playing of a particular game--who played, scores, comments on strategy, events during play, etc.

Example:
Quote:
We played Thurn & Taxis last night:
Rich 27, Chris 21, Eric 17, Tom 7

It was Chris's first game, he played pretty well completing the gray Bayern section early, but it came down to a big play when Rich was able to finish the red/orange and grey sections and used his last house on the last turn.

But, a lot of people put a mini (or not so mini) review with their session reports, though--especially if it is the first time they have played the game at their group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Reviews get 3 geekgold by default, session reports get 1.

Yes, I'm jaded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zippy grey wedge owner
Malaysia
Putrajaya
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not anymore. Now geekmods decide on what to give, so these days a review get between 2 and 3 (with 2dp) geekgold, and a session can get more than 1 geekgold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it appropriate to decline a review in geekmod if it is actually a session report? I have done this lately, only to notice the "review" got approved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
hancock.tom wrote:
Is it appropriate to decline a review in geekmod if it is actually a session report? I have done this lately, only to notice the "review" got approved.

I also decline sessions that are submitted as reviews. I think the two should be kept separate. I do not appreciate the submision of session reports as reviews in an attempt to get more GG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
I also decline sessions that are submitted as reviews. I think the two should be kept separate. I do not appreciate the submision of session reports as reviews in an attempt to get more GG.

I feel the same way, but this sort of stuff gets approved pretty frequently from what i've seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.