Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.

I am considering delving into this apparently wonderful game.

I have read a couple of precious "New buyer" guides for new players, however one thing still eludes me, and this is the role of saga expansions.

How do they relate to the rest of the game?

Why would (or wouldn't) be advisable to begin with, say, the expansions relating to the Lord of the Rings "saga"?

Is everything compatible?

Thank you in advance.

Geki

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything is compatible, with the exception of the Baggins sphere stuff.

They're the stories from the novels, so they're really thematic and follow a familiar story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've always had the same question as the OP... why not simply start with the saga expansions instead of the others? For instance, why not make the Black Riders your first expansion purchase, instead of the Shadows of Mirkwood or Khazad-Dum?

I got into this game relatively recently and followed the prevailing advice to purchase expansions somewhat according to their release sequence, but haven't got to playing them yet. I've also purchased Black Riders, and while I was reviewing its contents, wondered why I didn't simply start with that as it's the movies that got me interested in the LotR anyway?

So it'd be great to see any replies to that part of the OP's question!

Thx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can jump right in with the Saga expansions, but the lack of depth in the card pool will make the game more difficult.

Having at least the player cards from the first cycle would be my recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Notelteirs
msg tools
jkayati wrote:
You can jump right in with the Saga expansions, but the lack of depth in the card pool will make the game more difficult.

Having at least the player cards from the first cycle would be my recommendation.

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game » Forums » General
Re: The role of saga expansions
In my opinion that's not so great advice for a couple of reasons.

First, the first saga expansions are pretty hard to find at the moment. For some regions impossible even unless you want to spend a lot on a single adventure pack.

Secondly, you don't need them. There is very little power creep in this game. I started the Black Riders with just the core set. Yeah it's difficult. But this is LotR LCG were talking about. Players know the drill. It wouldn't be a great game if you beat the scenarios in one go.

Finally, according to Tales of the Cards buyer's guide It's even recommended to start with the Black Riders saga expansion because it offers so much fantastic cards to begin with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lanser
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started with Saga Expansions. In fact, my initial intention was to not spend too much on the game and stick solely to the Sagas. I got as far as the second Hobbit Box before I decided it was worth picking up Return to Mirkwood and Khazad Dum for some more Dwarf card support. It's all downhill from there. My wife just shakes her head at my lack of self control.

That being said, the word on Black Riders is true. The player cards are excellent and the decks they give you that include only the Core Set and Black Riders will get you through all three scenarios just fine. But in some cases (particularly the Hobbit boxes) it can be helpful to have a bigger card pool.

And the thing that (I feel like) no one really ever says (though it's heavily implied) is that the more you follow this game, the more cool cards you see and the more packs you just want to buy because you can't help but think "Ooh, think of what I could do with that?!" So, buy what you want. You just may have to exercise some serious self control to keep yourself from buying it all in a month...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to agree with everyone who is saying it is alright to go straight from the core to saga expansions. If I was starting from scratch I would get the core, then Black Riders, then Road Darkens (and eventually everything else, it is an amazing game).

My one addition would be that you should feel free to play in what the rules call "Easy Mode". I like to think of this as Thematic Mode (I play without the extra resources). It basically just means you are playing without some of the hardest enemy cards, but can still enjoy the full story. This is especially fun because you can play through campaign mode without tearing your hair out and then come back to it once you have a better card pool and play in normal mode (and eventually nightmare). Also, the rules in Black Rider and Road Darkens both give suggested decks involving just the Core which are really good.

It's an awesome game, dive in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huger wrote:

It's an awesome game, dive in.

I'm getting it after Christmas, assuming the Black Riders expansion is coming back in stock [EDIT: On coolstuff]. (I order games in lots to get free shipping, thus I wouldn't want to get just core set and then wait for months before expanding )

Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own any of the adventure packs yet, and I'm getting along just fine. My second purchase (after the core set) was to get both of the Hobbit saga expansions. I bought them both together because I had read that the combined card pool made those saga quests easier to manage, which I think is correct. I was able to complete all of the quests.

I received Khazad-Dum as a gift, and was able to play through those quests with the dwarves from the Hobbit saga set. Since then, I've found very little use for the Khazad-dum player cards outside of the Khazad-dum quests.

I then got Black Riders, and found that the decks I was running for those quests were taken almost exclusively from Black Riders and the core set. Now that I have The Road Darkens, I just built a deck with 48 cards from the two LOTR saga sets, plus my 2 copies Steward of Gondor from the core set. It looks like a viable deck to me.

I do plan on eventually buying some adventure packs, starting with the Mirkwood set, but I don't feel that my collection is lacking because I don't have them (although Fast Hitch wouldn't hurt).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

“My dear Frodo!’ exclaimed Gandalf. ‘Hobbits really are amazing creatures, as I have said before. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you at a pinch.”

The Black Riders expansion has some brilliant cards and is largely self-contained. But in order to use them you need to:

*develop secrecy decks
*stay on top of card flow
*manage threat build-up
*tutor attachments
*significant combos

The cards are great but ask players to handle a great number of key mechanics early on.

It's the deep end -- perhaps just like Heirs of Númenor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.