Runebound (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Doom track disappointment rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Doty
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My GF and I have played 2P Runebound a couple times now, both times with the recommended variants (the doom track and travel hazards). We like travel hazards OK, but we're not so keen on the doom track. Even though games are long, the doom track seems like it brings things to a close too suddenly, and before we've had a chance to adequately prepare to battle a series of nasty dragons.

Next time we play we are planning to play without the doom track and just race to see who is able to successfully take on the red challenges first.

What are other's views on the merits or otherwise of using the doom track?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Hunsucker
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After player a 6 hour 4 player game of this one night, I demanded that we use the doom track exclusively. After playing with it 3 times or so, everyone had gotten to the point where they were unconsciously moving faster, so it wasn't needed. Haven't used it since, and our games usually take between 2 and 3 hours depending on the players. I think it's really good for speeding things up, but once everyone is comfortable, it's not absolutely necessary.

You can also tweak the doom track a bit to increase the number of turns you get. My roommate did that, and it worked out really well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the Threat Track idea, I think. The thing I dislike about the Doom Track is that it can be really fast or slow, depending on the cards drawn, which kinda screws up its use as a timer. Draw a bunch of events? The track zooms forward. Draw a bunch of challenges that say 'keep this card'? Slow down, buster!

The threat track, however, makes it risky to get knocked out or to go to town too often, which helps the game. The only worry I have is that it may force people to be less agressive with their challenge colors, rather than more. For that reason, make sure you keep the 'Overlord's roll', once per round - roll a threat test, and if they fail, add a token that decreases the difficulty of threat tests by 1.

(Just download the Threat Track, and Midnight, rules from Fantasyflightgames.com)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.