Markus Seniuk
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was playing a game where I had one pawn building an invention and another pawn building an invention that needed the shovel which I had already built. I rolled for the first items build action and got an adventure card that told me to flip an item back over to the invention side. If I only have the shovel to flip over, what do I do about the pawn that was set to build the other item that needed the shovel that is no longer built anymore. Sorry I don't remember which exact inventions/cards were involved anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually you have more than one invention card to turn over. But of course what you said can happen.

Let me first say I have no official answer on this.
...but...
The way most things are handled, it is reasonable to assume that the effect of the card would only affect anything happening AFTER the Action Phase. All things that have beem planned during the Action Phase, because their prerequesits could be matched, CAN still be done. It's the planning stage where prerequisits count...

So I'd bet top dollar you still can perform the Action as if the effect didn't happen (yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Usually you have more than one invention card to turn over. But of course what you said can happen.

Let me first say I have no official answer on this.
...but...
The way most things are handled, it is reasonable to assume that the effect of the card would only affect anything happening AFTER the Action Phase. All things that have beem planned during the Action Phase, because their prerequesits could be matched, CAN still be done. It's the planning stage where prerequisits count...

So I'd bet top dollar you still can perform the Action as if the effect didn't happen (yet).

agree 100%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Yovich
United States
Arlington
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I too agree with this interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carl hilinski
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
The rules say actions take place simultaneously. This helps figure this stuff out because it means one action cannot have an impact on another during the same round. It also says that you can't, for example, use the shovel to do more than one task in a round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The latter part is, however, not true.
If you need certain items as prerequisite, you can use them for as many actions during the same round as you want. So the Shovel can be used for building more than one item per round.

However, there ARE items that need distribution. The Sack and the Basket, for example, can only be used by one character per round.

If it weren't for the bed, you could say that you can use the EFFECT of an item only once per day, whereas the item itself (as a prerequisite for ANY action) can be used as often as you want. You just need to HAVE it for those actions, not really "use" it (so to speak)...

The Bed, however, you can use as many times per day as you want. I guess that is because it augments an action, and doesn't provide a specific effect...

And since we are on the subject of exceptions:
ANYTHING that you get during the Action Phase goes to the Future Ressources space. Anything that changes item cards or tiles will also only go into effect AFTER the Action Phase. Also, all tokens placed during the Action phase will only come into effect AFTER the Action phase...
...BUT this is NOT true for the three level tracks of roof, palisades or weapons. Whenever they need to be augmented, this happens instantaneously and has an impact on other actions during the same Action phase, also.
...this is for simplicity's sake, I guess...

...actually, we changed that a little in the German rules. Whenever a token tells you to have "at least a WL of 1" or to receive a wound when performing an action, in the German rules we wrote that this token is only in effect during the Planning stage of the Action phase.
Meaning that in THIS SPECIFIC situation augmentations of the WL do NOT impact the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carl hilinski
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Really? You can use an item as many times as you want in a round? Did I miss that in the rules somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chilinski wrote:
Really? You can use an item as many times as you want in a round? Did I miss that in the rules somewhere?

This is off the top of my head, so there are likely to be exceptions to this, but:

I think an invention represents the knowledge of how to make an item, otherwise, why would you not be able to make enough shovels for everyone?

Okay - the 'turn over one invention' event does imply that there is only one shovel, but that makes no sense given other rules clearly stated.

The game is not perfect. It has some wonky rules that you need to wave away in order to avoid paradoxes.

What is a 'turn', for example? A day, a week, a month? Some mechanics suggest a day, while others imply a longer time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
chilinski wrote:

Items like the Shovel that count as prerequisites can be "used" as often as you like.

Items like the Pot with its ability to heal, having a concrete beneficial effect, can be used just once per round. The Bed, as Dumon pointed out, is an exception.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Futterer
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
Kingdom Death: Monster
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my german rules it is clearly stated, that if you have to flip over invention cards you can still use them for the rest of the round as if the invention would still be useable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is always the case, no matter which rules "version" you adhere to.

But keep in mind that there are differences between the German and the Original/Zman rules set. So what is written in the German rules is not necessarily the applicable rule, if you use a different ruleset...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.