GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,575 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Battles of Westeros» Forums » General

Subject: Impact of optional withdrawal rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

my first impression on the optional withdrawal rule is that it will slow the game down, since there are fewer fights.
However, since this is only a first impression I would like to ask for some opinions of experienced players.

Do you think this rule adds anything (or even much) to the game and improves it in a significant way? Or improves balance in some of the scenarios?

I am quite certain that I will not use it with new players for the first game, but would add it with more experienced players. However, since I do not like mixing the ruleset up between games, I am curious wheter it's worth it.

Appreciate any input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When we play we always include it, but it has never gotten used because of the cost of the Order token (if I remember correctly, don't have the rulebook in front of me), and the unit has to be active, and the morale shift.

I like having the option, but in practice I have yet to use it (my opponents haven't used it either).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used it. You don't need an order token, but you do need the unit to be active and turn it to inactive. That combined with the morale shift makes it pretty costly. I mainly have used it to have archers withdraw from cavalry. All the optional rules work really well, in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input. After some more consideration, it seems to me that it is mostly useful to save a commander from a big combined attack. Also, since I noticed that you are not allowed to use valour order tokens or two of the same kind to reactivate a unit (which I played wrong so far), the deactivation is quite some cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.