BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Gripped by DESTINY... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse G
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After 2 solid years of Boardgaming and BGG daily use, i have been sucked back into the vortex that is video game driven reward based FPS shooter action.

The cause: Destiny, xbox 360

The reason: "Hey man, you should try this new game with me, i mean i know its not really your thing but play a few rounds with me and see what you think…."

The outcome: I have invested over 70 hours of gameplay into this anomaly and despite the lure of new games like a recently acquired Hamsterolle and constant lure of X-wing and Eldritch Horror, I have fully embraced this and am dealing with it 2-3 times a day….

Friends, It can happen to you. After a couple of years being HIGHLY active on BGG I surprised myself with this video game. Of course its somewhat normal to vary your day to day or year to year personal hobbies, but within the sphere that is board gaming, even the plethora of single player board gaming that i was doing, the cardboard has lost its lustre.

This is not some dark epilogue about my former board gaming hobby but a sudden and surprising realization it has been slightly demoted. I really miss reviewing articles and reviews about new and classic boardgames. I REALLY miss writing reviews and scouring the forums for opinion and suggestion.

I know that over this coming holiday season much video gaming will take place, but I feel my silver lining is the renewed gathering of friends and family whom cannot play my video games, but rather can delve into the board based fun that is our hobby and purpose of this site!

Truly longing for board gaming, and interaction… The holidays will be great!

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, it's happened to a few of my friends. After looking at some reviews, it just seems like a darker version of Borderlands. I think games in this genre are fun because you get loot and such, but they are very repetitive. You go to new areas and essentially do the same thing... shoot around and loot. The graphics and art style are very impressive though. It's also cool that you can play cooperatively with others and it even has a deathmatch mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Johnson
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of days ago I finally managed to hook up with a six-player fireteam to run through the Vault of Glass.

Total genius, what a laugh and yes to my not-quite-eternal shame it was actually more fun than moving around bits of cardboard and wooden blocks with five other people.

Earlier today of course the first DLC, The Dark Below, released...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Destiny was pretty fun at first. But they've changed the game system constantly to force everyone to just grind the PVP matches and have removed most of the fun from the game. It's a stinker now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Johnson
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
Destiny was pretty fun at first. But they've changed the game system constantly to force everyone to just grind the PVP matches and have removed most of the fun from the game. It's a stinker now.

Your Mileage Obviously Varies but personally, I hate the Crucible (PVP) side of it and almost never play it. Just now, I kicked in the Daily Heroic Story mission and randomly encountered another player running through the same area, we teamed up for a bit to take on the Vex and that is not an atypical experience by any means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Austin
msg tools
mb
I'm an rpg nut. Path of Exile, Divinity: Original Sin and Skyrim, to classic jrpgs like Dragon Quest 8 and Final Fantasy 7. Board gaming is an extension of my rpg hobby. Sometimes I want to load up a bunch of mods and lose myself in the Capital Wasteland (btw, where are you Fallout 4??) and other times I want a more tactile buzz by rolling dice and goofing around with some miniatures.

Interestingly enough, I will play games like Uncharted or Far Cry and enjoy them. But I can't play a board game that doesn't have an rpg theme or feel. I'm not sure why this is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear lord, Dragon Age: Inquisition has been draining ALL OF MY TIME. It's SUCH a good RPG!

When is a Runebound expansion going to allow for romancing my allies? Wait, FFG, never do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Parks
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
I fricking LOVE Destiny! I can't wait to get off of work and junk some "The Dark Below". I hadn't really been paying much attention to video games recently but I'm definitely hooked again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is probably pretty natural for a lot of us. Most here started out in video games and ended up in board games, so being drawn back in by a really cool/neat/novel video game that comes out isn't too abnormal. Even with my addiction to BGs now, I'm not sure I'd say no to a game of Smash every now and then, and I'd certainly enjoy the chance to play some games like SimCity and Skyrim. But in due time...when I get the chance.

For now, I say play what you want and enjoy every moment of it. And dont be afraid of changing things up every now and then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have a 360, not a ONE or a PS4, would it still be worth playing Destiny on last-gen's hardware? Am I missing out on anything significant?

I might eventually get one of the next gen system but not for another year (and I'm mostly leaning towards a WiiU)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am heavily invested in Smite and it, to be honest, takes up most of my free time. However, whenever I get a chance to play board games with people, that takes priority over the video game.

I see video games as a time filler in between the chances I get to play board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a state of non-grippedness, I am completely smegging ungripped

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
Fellow Guardian here, also gripped by Destiny. I have clan, and we play every Wednesday night. Playing with other people is what really makes the game shine. Also, I am not a PVP'er. I have only played crucible a half dozen times. GM me if you are on PS4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Destiny is the most mediocre game I've ever played every single day for at least a couple of hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
arcane220 wrote:
I am heavily invested in Smite and it, to be honest, takes up most of my free time. However, whenever I get a chance to play board games with people, that takes priority over the video game.

I see video games as a time filler in between the chances I get to play board games.

I'm on Smite too! Add me if you want to do some Siege. Username is the same here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse G
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RiderPestilence wrote:
I fricking LOVE Destiny! I can't wait to get off of work and junk some "The Dark Below". I hadn't really been paying much attention to video games recently but I'm definitely hooked again.

This is the quintessential feeling i have too! Previously i played vids, but since destiny, the urge is fierce and deep rooted. Its a hook i have never had before…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse G
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
I only have a 360, not a ONE or a PS4, would it still be worth playing Destiny on last-gen's hardware? Am I missing out on anything significant?

I might eventually get one of the next gen system but not for another year (and I'm mostly leaning towards a WiiU)

It SO worth it…. of course the ONE has a better system spec all around, but the 360 version is really…. REALLY well done! A side by side is actually quite similar… the ONE sure is bright and rich, but the gameplay is the same!

Careful, this Title is a slippery slope!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Anyway, how's your sex life?
badge
"She said the same thing about waffles."
mbmbmbmbmb
baditude wrote:
Destiny is the most mediocre game I've ever played every single day for at least a couple of hours.

Ha!

I'm still playing Borderlands 2, and I still laugh out loud at just how insane even the two player co op games I play get with all the explosions and weapon effects and my little robot slicing and dicing and my buddy Chris running around screaming with 2 guns...

Man, I wish I was playing Borderlands 2 right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
baditude wrote:

Amen Guardian, Amen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Anyway, how's your sex life?
badge
"She said the same thing about waffles."
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth adding that Video Games scratch a different itch to board games for me - sometimes, I like to make imaginary monsters go boom in a visual medium. Board games don't really give me the same feeling. There's room for both in any gamer's life, is what I'm saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I agree to "disagree"... I've been playing
A bit of Destiny myself (PS4).. I can't
Get into it as much as my friends do with
Hours and hours with gaming online with
Destiny.

I do enjoy it but, I promise you
I would rather board game if I had the
Opportunity rather then just hitting buttons
Any day! I prefer gathering with friends together to play a board game and interacting face to face than to hide behind an animated
character with headphones on.

To Each is own... but, like I said... I prefer
The face to face interaction any time over playing over the internet! Heck, I even rather play WoW the board game for hours than to have
to play it for months on end! Just Saying...!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Felkin
msg tools
mb
Really don't get why people would play Destiny when the Borderlands series exists. I have been addicted to League of Legends and DotA 2 for an ungodly amount of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
arcane220 wrote:

I'm on Smite too! Add me if you want to do some Siege. Username is the same here.
I'll add you. Not a huge fan of Siege, but I'll join you for a game or two. I'm more of a Conquest player myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good for you!

FWIW I have been done with MMOs since I quit LoTR back in early 2010 (before that EQ in 2001/02, then Eve and EQ2). As a former MUD addict from the mid-90s, I understand the addiction and rush, but it no longer holds an allure for me. Also, I have never been into FPS.

My xBox 360 hardly, if ever, receives any love or attention. All gaming is via my iPad (board-games and RPGs). Hell, I've had no downtime to actually play the physical copy of Lost Cities I bought to play with my fiancée!

I fully understand the appeal of Destiny and its ilk. Log-in and immediately immersed with other players. Trying to get a friend to commit to playing LoTR LCG is like pulling hen's teeth!

That said, I'm done with MMOs. Unless classic EQ is released with modern graphics and audio. In which case, hello stubble, red-eye, underwear and pizza cartons ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Austin
msg tools
mb
I think the problem I have with Destiny is it only does one thing well, and thats the shooter elements. Its really fun just tearing up a bunch of mobs with friends. The gunplay is very satisfying, but you'd expect that from Bungie, they have a great pedigree there. Its got a great deal of 'stickyness' that makes you want to play it again. Got no complaints with the combat.

The other things kind of fail and pull it down for me. The rpg and mmo elements are half baked and feel like an afterthought. Most games do these far, far better, and I can't help but think Destiny could have done with another 6+ months in the oven before it was released. I expected more from a studio with as big a name as Bungie has. (I don't know how the game plays these days so maybe they've addressed these issues).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.