Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My buddy, with whom I play a lot of AH, and I were really thrilled and frankly frightened to learn that the CotDP expansion had gate cards that could result in unexpected one-on-one fights with the Ancient Ones.

Let me lay it right out on the table that neither of us have read many Lovecraft stories, so we don't know much about the Cthulhu mythos. What we did know is that the Ancient One gate encounters were dual-colored, and there were six dual-colored worlds. So logically we figured that there were six AO gate encounters.

We figured that two of the eight original AOs would have to be dropped from the running. Azathoth was immediately out because you just can't fight him. We also ruled out Nyarlathotep because you encounter him in multiple forms in gate encounters anyway.

After playing numerous games, we got suspicious that there weren't many, if any, more than three different dual-colored gate cards. Inadvertently I happened upon a forum post that concluded decisively that there were indeed only three. This news irked us both deeply.

What I wanted to do lately was research the origins of the AOs used in AH and Dunwich Horror, in order to make as many dual-colored encounter cards as possible. This is the process I went through:

There are twelve AOs used in AH and DH. They can be broken down into two categories:

Great Old Ones:
Cthulhu
Glaaki
Hastur
Ithaqua
Shudde M'ell
Tsathoggua
Yig

Outer Gods:
Abhoth
Azathoth
Nylarlathotep
Shub-Niggurath
Yog-Sothoth

I figured only the GOOs should be encountered. The Outer Gods really behave more as omnipotent forces rather than beings. It doesn't make sense that you'd be walking around in a parallel dimension and would accidentally bump into Abhoth. So the list was shortened to this:

Cthulhu
Glaaki
Hastur
Ithaqua
Shudde M'ell
Tsathoggua
Yig

Now the problem with this list is that two of these guys, specifically Glaaki and Shudde M'ell, do global attacks during battle that aren't specific to investigators and that are irreversible. So the list was shortened to five.

Cthulhu yields from R'lyeh, that at least I know. And I already suspected that Ithaqua belongs in Leng. But the third dual-colored card places Shub-Niggurath in Yuggoth, which isn't really sensible or evident in the research I've done. Not to mention she's an Outer God, which in my opinion immediately cuts her from the running anyway.

Yig apparently seems to reside in or around Oklahoma. There are no gates to Oklahoma. So after tiring research, I dropped Yig from the list. Here's where it gets interesting:

Hastur I'm convinced can be found in Carcosa. And it appears that Tsathoggua was at least at one time on Yuggoth. The cool thing about this is that both places are Yellow/Blue, just like the Shub-Niggurath dual-color gate card. So what's cool about this is you can treat the Yellow/Blue Shub-Niggurath card this way:

If you're in Lost Carcosa, you immediately fight Hastur.
If you're in Yuggoth, you immediately fight Tsathoggua (good freaking luck).
If you're in any other place with Yellow or Blue, a monster appears.

This way I don't have to make more gate cards! The only downside is, until I actually acquire the Dunwich Horror expansion, this card can only be "A monster appears!" for yellow or blue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. B.
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
Yig apparently seems to reside in or around Oklahoma. There are no gates to Oklahoma

Red earthed Oklahoma is too horrible, too horrible...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So here I am, over two years later. I dropped Tsathoggua from the list, so now it's:

Cthulhu in R'lyeh
Ithaqua in Leng
Hastur in Lost Carcosa

Since I posted this article, I gave away my game, and bought another copy of it, with all the expansions (my old cards were getting creased). I've printed out a Hastur card and pasted it over the old Shub-Niggurath one. It seems to be effective!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.