Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JeFF Stumpo
United States
Scranton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are both avid gamers (tend towards reading books of all kinds, playing with the dogs, and playing board games rather than watch TV or movies) - I lean towards the more involved games, she towards the less involved, though she has just as good a head for strategy. We were looking forward to receiving Fairy Tale and got it a few days ago.

This is a loose report on our first few days with Fairy Tale.

On looking through the rules, we realized that the game is not quite what we thought it would be. The emphasis on "story" in the advertising made us both expect that we'd actually be constructing and interrupting coherent storylines as we played. Something like "The fairies were on their way to [play friendly card] the magic glen when [opponent plays Shadow card] demons attacked!" Instead, this was more like a simplified version of Magic: The Gathering and/or the beginning of a round of Citadels (we both love Citadels, but have avoided Magic for financial reasons). Select cards, use various powers, to try obtain points. Doesn't mean it wasn't fun, but we really want to emphasize that the idea of "story" should be taken with a grain of salt.

Other reviews have done great jobs of talking about the mechanics, so we just want to weigh in on fun factor. This was a great filler game. The box says 30-60 minutes, but we can run through a two-player game in 10-15. Neither of us has to sacrifice strategy in playing through that quickly - there just aren't that many options to keep track of. In fact, playing that quickly allows for the two most enjoyable parts of the game.

One, it's easy to do with little free time. Waiting for dinner to finish heating in the oven? Fairy Tale will fit in that time frame. At the doctor's office and unsure how long it will take? You can probably finish a game (and since the box is nice and small, you can actually take it there). Just got home from work and both of you are exhausted, yet you don't want to be TOO lazy? Fairy Tale.

Two, by playing fairly quickly, the tension is heightened. Not to say that there isn't any built into the game - the mechanic of having to decide which cards to give your opponent actually works really well after the first round. But a speedy game gives just enough of a jolt to make you go, "Hey, everything might swing on the next five seconds!"

The first round of any given game, for us so far, seems to be a crap shoot. You can start to advance a strategy, but there's little opportunity to interrupt your opponent yet. By the second round, everything starts to ramp up, you've begun counting cards, and you know that you'll have to make a tough decision between keeping points for yourself and allowing your opponent to win some. Best of all are the times when you are dealt two or three cards that you want and have to bet whether or not your opponent will let the other one come back to you (my wife is great at figuring out which cards I have/want - one of many reasons why I can't play poker at the same table as her).

The most involved game ever? No. Best illustrations? Good, but not the best. What Fairy Tale is for us is a great filler. Simple rules (even the advanced rules are simple), just enough tension to make it interesting, and short enough to play a round or two in just about any amount of free time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jensen
United States
Perry
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review of your impression of Fairy Tale. It is a fun game. Not the be all of creation as you explain but a great filler that almost everyone can get in to.

Funny thing is, I had the same thought as you did on the 'story' aspect. "I'm going to be creating fantasy," was my thought. Well, that short disappointment has went to the wayside with the fun that this game is. The tension of the draft and wondering if you'll see that great card come back is a huge part of the game.

Keep on gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JeFF Stumpo
United States
Scranton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Matt.

Hey, have you managed to come across any games that are, well, like what we thought this would be? We're not looking for full-on roleplaying games, but something where you do actually create a story through card play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Larner
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were looking for an actual story-telling game, the closest I've found is Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game. Fairly fun, especially if everyone plays it in the spirit it's meant - but easy for bad apples to spoil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaedalusX1 wrote:
On looking through the rules, we realized that the game is not quite what we thought it would be. The emphasis on "story" in the advertising made us both expect that we'd actually be constructing and interrupting coherent storylines as we played. Something like "The fairies were on their way to [play friendly card] the magic glen when [opponent plays Shadow card] demons attacked!"

If you're looking for a game that plays more like you described, then I suggest checking out Counting Zzzzs. It's one of my favorites when played as a 2-player, and it plays very much like you described.

"I was [play friendly place card] on the beach when [opponent plays scary person card] a serial killer showed up and [plays friendly action card] he falls in love and marries me..." Etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Perry
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. I like finding reviews with the "reviewed as played with my wife/husband" aspect since that's what I base my opinions on..... and my future purchases. I am still trying to get my wife to play Blue Moon.......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JeFF Stumpo
United States
Scranton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Rusty and Diane-

Thanks to each of you for suggestions! Next time our budget allows for a game purchase, we'll look into those ideas.

All the best,
JeFF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JeFF Stumpo
United States
Scranton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My hopes aren't too high for Blue Moon, but we may get there. Our most-played at this time are, in no particular order: Guillotine, Lost Cities, Settlers of Catan card game, Citadels, Fairy Tale. Have a handful of others, but these see the most action. I think that some of them are often disparaged by the most serious gamers (especially those who want to compare Catan card game to the board game), but we have a good time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Barry) eldrbarry McWilliams
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
In Once upon a Time (Atlas Games) One player is the Storyteller, and creates a story using the ingredients on her cards. She tries to guide the plot towards her own ending. The other players try to use cards to interrupt her and become the new Storyteller. The winner is the first player to play out all his or her cards and end with his or her Happy Ever After card. Includes 112 Once Upon A Time cards, 56 Happily Ever After cards.

Once Upon a Time has an add-on set of 56 more cards called Once Upon a Time: Dark Tales (2004). These additional cards provide some new story elements and endings with some of the darker elements of fairy tales. Not every fairy tale has a happy ending!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Jekel
Poland
Torun
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaedalusX1 wrote:
My hopes aren't too high for Blue Moon...

If you have not changed your opinion in the meantime, I suggest that you buy Blue Moon. It is a great game with high replayability value. You can play it over and over again without getting bored. I have introduced 4 people to BM and they all liked it a lot ranking it the best card game they played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.