GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,334 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Which weapons can i use ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
martin andreasson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok i suspect you can use pretty much any weapon you ancounter, but you have to use the traits listed to be able to make the combat check of course. And also if you have the proficiency with the weapon you sometimes get extra powers from the weapons that are listed.
Still im wondering when i like now play the wizard, can i wield any blade or use any raged weapon and just use my strength andany bonus the weapon grants me?
/Zol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can use any weapon, some will say like you already mentioned on the card penalties or bonuses for having proficiency or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taloncarde wrote:
Yes, you can use any weapon, some will say like you already mentioned on the card penalties or bonuses for having proficiency or not.

Pretty much that. In fact, anyone can play any card. But not everyone can play any card as well as others. Ezren can play any weapon. If he has a low Strength die, he won't roll as well with it as Valeros. And since he doesn't have proficiency, some of the weapon's power might not be available for him, or it might penalize him. Likewise, Valeros can play a spell. He'll have to roll a d4 for his Arcane or Divine die and he'll end up having to banish it, but that doesn't stop him from playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow up question - is it okay to play both a spell as well as a weapon as Ezren?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the spell, remember only one card can determine your check. Most of the weapons (that I can recall) say "For your combat check..."

Many of Ezren's spells say "For your combat check..." like Force missles.

However he could play Strength on himself and then use a weapon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin andreasson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, now i understand that much better!
/Zol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Gilles Pecquereau
Belgium
Brussels
Jette
flag msg tools
Daddy & Boardgamer in Brussels - Belgium
badge
Founder of Boardgame Monkeys
mbmbmbmbmb
Continuing on the topic!

But you are not allowed to play 2x (or more) a card type "weapon" during your turn, correct ?

I was reading in the reminder (last page if the rulebook), that you can play only 1 type of cards during your turn (like only 1 blessing, 1 item, 1 weapon, 1 armor etc).

Also what is the difference between a two-handed weapon (where it is specifically written "2 handed" on the card) versus when it is not specified 1/2 handed ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule is one card of each type per step of an encounter or per check, so not quite as limiting as per turn.

Some cards, particularly shields, care whether you played a 2 handed weapon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Gilles Pecquereau
Belgium
Brussels
Jette
flag msg tools
Daddy & Boardgamer in Brussels - Belgium
badge
Founder of Boardgame Monkeys
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Hawkmoon for your confirmation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shanchenko
Ukraine
Krasnoarmeisk
Donetskaya oblast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can i use "Wand of Force Missile" AND a "Force Missile" spell simultaneously for my combat check? The wand doesn't depends on any of skills (just rolls fixed number of D4).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. The rules say you may only play 1 card that determines your die/skill for the check. Both those cards determine a combat check, so you can only play one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shanchenko
Ukraine
Krasnoarmeisk
Donetskaya oblast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's sad to hear... So all those wands practically useless, then... No reason to risc of failed check. Always better to use good old spell and friendly blessing. And make space in inventory for something more usefull...

P.S. Are you sure? I could find in Rulebook only "You can use only 1 card of EACH TYPE for check". Spell and item (wand) of different types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Under Determine Which Die You’re Using.

"Some cards may allow you to replace the required skill for a
check with a different one; as part of this action, you may play only
1 card or use only 1 power that defines the skill you are going to
use."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shanchenko
Ukraine
Krasnoarmeisk
Donetskaya oblast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, but... Sorry, still unclear for me...((( The spell defines skill which i have to use for Combat check (Intelligence or Arcane). But Wand doesn't determines what exactly Skill a have to use for check. Text on card just tells me: "Roll 4D4 for your Combat check". Does that counts as it "defines skill" anyway?

Anyway - i'm sure you guys know better than me, so... No wands, then...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the same section, farther down, it mentions cards that define the skill but don't actually mention a specific skill, but rather exact dice. It use a wand as an example.

And wands cab be good for certain characters, though aren't for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
As I understand it you basically have 3 option for making a combat check. I'll try and break down the section of the rulebook relevant to your question. On page 11 under "determine which dice you're using" it says:

Weapons and many other cards that can be used during combat
generally tell you what skill to use when you attempt a combat
check;

Option 1: Play the spell Force Missile and use your Arcane skill for your combat check

if you don’t play such a card, use your Strength or Melee
skill.

Option 2: Don't play either card and use your Strength or Melee skill

(A few cards that can be used on checks don’t use any of your
skills; they instead specify the exact dice you need to roll or the
result of your die roll.)

Option 3: Play Wand of Force Missile and roll the exact number of dice specified
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Andryccio wrote:
Thanks, but... Sorry, still unclear for me...((( The spell defines skill which i have to use for Combat check (Intelligence or Arcane). But Wand doesn't determines what exactly Skill a have to use for check. Text on card just tells me: "Roll 4D4 for your Combat check". Does that counts as it "defines skill" anyway?

What works for me is this: you can only use one card that has the text "for your check". The rest are usually worded "during" or "add to" or something like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shanchenko
Ukraine
Krasnoarmeisk
Donetskaya oblast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot guys! I've got it at last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.