United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The dragon had been asleep for a hundred years. In that time, the cave under which it slumbered had changed greatly—goblins and strange monsters had filled its gloomy depths. There were stories and rumors about the cave itself thinking, shifting, growing stronger and more dangerous. Mystic crystals were rumored of, filling the cave’s rooms with spectral light and hiding the entrance to the sleeping dragon’s immeasurable treasure trove.

Into this darkness, the knight stepped, her gloved hand gripping the hilt of her sword. The years of quests, all of the victories and defeats had led to this—this one final adventure. The kingdom could never be at peace with the dragon beneath the mountain, and so she had come. And she had awoken everything that slumbered in the shadows… and begun the conclusive battle in the darkness.

Leder Games is proud to announce the upcoming Kickstarter campaign for Trove, the ultimate asymmetric cave-crawling adventure game for two to four players!

Trove takes you and your friends into the flickering light of a classic cave-crawling adventure, built on the concept of total asymmetry. Rather than playing a party of adventurers, only one player is the brave Knight. The other three are the chaotic Goblin horde, the colossal, greedy Dragon, and the Cave itself — powerful, brooding, and full of intent to crush the living things that dare to disturb its gloomy depths. Each role has its own powers, pieces, and paths to victory … and there can only be one winner.

The Ultimate Asymmetric Board Game

Trove provides a limitless hoard of adventure, playable again and again as you and your friends explore the four different roles that make up the game. Play one-on-one in a race to the death between the Knight and the Goblins, or add in the Dragon and the Cave for deeper and more epic experiences, different every time. With a cave constructed of tiles, and decks full of monsters, special abilities, and game-changing events, no two play-throughs of Trove will ever be the same.

Visit http://thisistrove.com to subscribe to updates, including sneak peeks at the art and making of the game, opportunities to play Trove at events near you, and more!

Leder Games can’t wait to bring you Trove—and change the way you think about asymmetric gameplay forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
The Joeymans chose one to lead them.....The Joeyman
badge
Anyone who thinks that Avatar is a guy with a blue face needs an airbender
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like an awesome idea. I hope being the cave isn't lame (it sounds lame to be cave).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Somerville
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
joeyman3 wrote:
Sounds like an awesome idea. I hope being the cave isn't lame (it sounds lame to be cave).

Haha, thanks! Does it make it less lame that the Cave's goal is to collapse, crushing all the other players under millions of tons of rock and shadow?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
joeyman3 wrote:

I had the exact opposite reaction. I want to be a cave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Somerville
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
joeyman3 wrote:

I had the exact opposite reaction. I want to be a cave.

Lots of people LOVE the idea of the cave. Others are like, "Wait, why is that a thing?"

The nice thing is, for that second group people, you can always be a knight, a freaking dragon, or an army of goblins and other things that go bump in the night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If playing with less than 4 players, can you pick any role? Or is it 1> Knight 2 > Goblins 3> Dragon 4> cave?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Somerville
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
If playing with less than 4 players, can you pick any role? Or is it 1> Knight 2 > Goblins 3> Dragon 4> cave?

The Knight and Goblins are a must. After that, you can add in either Cave or Dragon, or both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read the 10 page thread about the design/testing and now I'm sad I never read it before and participated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Having been involved in the early playtests (before the game was signed to Leder Games), I can say that playing as the Cave is definitely not lame.

The Cave is certainly a controversial idea; some people will love it, others will hate it. But I can honestly say that the idea of playing as "the Cave" is what initially drew me into this fascinating game. For better or for worse, it makes playing this game a truly original experience. =)

PS: subscribed. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Somerville
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
I just read the 10 page thread about the design/testing and now I'm sad I never read it before and participated.

That's okay! We're gonna be showing it off everywhere we can—and it's never too late for feedback! You can subscribe to the newsletter at thisistrove.com to make sure you don't miss info on a playtesting opportunity near you.

You're participating now, so it's all good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Somerville
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hey all! Just wanted to let you know that we've started a weekly email about Trove's progress, which has art previews, behind-the-scenes development update, and some other good stuff. Click here — http://eepurl.com/_gyOb — to read it, and then sign up if you want more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been watching this game since it's early stages. Awesome, very excited!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Tan
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sound interesting, but coming from a gaming group of 6 usual members, are there any plans to add more player count into the game?

Like for example, 2 knight, 2 goblins, 1 dragon, 1 cave or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is something I am definitely concerned with and have spent sometime working on. Naturally the issue with 2 Knights or 2 Goblins would be having enough pieces, without expecting the player to proxy something together.

David and I have discussed and written out some notes for roles beyond the Cave. Testing 4 roles is going to be challenging, but maybe with community support we can test the rest of the roles.

Thank you for your interest!

starrytan wrote:
Sound interesting, but coming from a gaming group of 6 usual members, are there any plans to add more player count into the game?

Like for example, 2 knight, 2 goblins, 1 dragon, 1 cave or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Not that I really have any say in the matter, but if you were going to add more roles to the game, I would prefer to see further unique roles rather than seconds of any of the existing role.

Yes, I am aware that would make play-testing/design even more tedious, but I think the effort would be worthwhile. Perhaps do it as an expansion set if you don't want to rock the boat too much on the existing game.

Perhaps other "hero roles" could be added. Such as the Thief, whose goal is to raid to dragon's treasure hoard somewhere underneath the Pit. The Wizard, whose goal is to unlock the arcane mysteries of the Cave. The Priest, whose goal is to "purify" the Cave and drive out the evil goblins somehow. Stuff like that. Maybe an "undead" character, like a Necromancer, who plays along similar lines to the Goblins but is specifically hunting the Priest and/or trying to corrupt the Cave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unique is definitely the way to go. The roles David and I are talking about would fit become new roles. I do have notes for a Thief character, cursed with immortality by a Warlock, forced to renter the Cave over and over searching for treasure and interrupting the flow of gold through the game.

If the campaign goes well I have notes for a Trove 2 I would like to do, with a different setting (and an alternate to the Cave role). The other roles would have alternate roles that could be exchanged with the base set. Obviously the setting specific ones would be difficult to do that with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.