Subject: Our (My) first victory as Jack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Rodger
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, we've played the game like ten times or so, and the only time Jack won was the game where we forgot the rules and played that the cops could only move one space. Most every other game the cops have pretty easily found the trail, narrowed down where the hideout was fairly quickly and caught Jack by night three or even earlier.

After reading a lot of threads here, it seems like the basic mistake we're making is running to directly to the hideout. So this week I got to play Jack again and tried out some of the insights from the board. I chose a central space with lots of routes (100). I was a bit worried it would be too easy for them to figure it out or cut me off--our police have a ten dancey to block major intersections like that.

The first night I did a little looping around and, when it seemed like the police were no where near me, bolted for home. They only found one clue.

Second night was almost as good, but a lucky guess on their part found my trail and they were able to find a few more clues because of that. They narrowed down my potential hideouts, but since the actual one was just outside the range they were looking at I darted home.

Third night went well for me. Miscommunication between the police prevented them from drag netting my actual hideout. I had to loop around a bunch but was mostly able to avoid them without giving them any more information.

Fourth night I finished on one move. I felt a little cheap about it (we weren't playing with Catch Me If You Can or anything), and if I or anyone had won as Jack before, I don't think I would have done it. But I wanted the win, and it was legal. So I killed one of the central victims and strolled back home.

It was terribly rewarding and I can't deny it felt great to be the first win in that group as Jack. But next time I'd definitely play with the more than one or two away or what ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think having Jack's hideout be random is both more balanced and more interesting- I always use random.org. Other than that, I use the "rushing" variant where cops get to move a third space in lieu of searching for clues or making an arrest. After 100+ plays I find the game reasonably balanced this way (of course there are easier and harder hideouts; playing the one you're dealt is a large part of the fun IMO).

Some of us are currently playing Whitechapel here on BGG. Not a bad place to look for insights on how to play better as either side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.