BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: Rule book rewrite questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Majewski
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I walked away from my board game project for three months, after getting feedback from play testers and having my game featured in a YouTube video
http://youtu.be/eYbC33zk9AM?list=LLkFmyxNybs6wpuSnsC_lhEA it became obvious that I needed a rule book rewrite.

In the video the play testers got annoyed with having to move back and forth from the starting set up page to the how to place map pieces instructions.

I'm about to edit the rule book and shoving all the map placement stuff first feels wrong. Reading other rule books it looks like the map placement stuff would be placed into the setting up section.

I guess I'm looking for validation that my original decision to put map placement on a separate page after set up works or along with other rewrites does the map placement need to be moved. Also other suggestions on rule book format would be helpful.

Here is the version of the rule book that was play tested
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B872PnrInGmfQzNqaDNP...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Hostetler
United States
California
flag msg tools
This looks easily fixed but the solution depends on the page layout. You gave them single-sided pages for the rulebook which is NOT how it's going to be printed in the final version, right? So your solution lies in the layout of a 'real' double-side printed rulebook.

You've already got a bigger problem which you must solve before you solve the Setup / Map Placement problem, which is this:

A double-sided booklet must have pages + front cover + back cover in an exact multiple of 4 in order to be saddle-stitched or stapled

You have 8 pages and a cover (9 total), so your current layout is either one page too many or 3 pages too few.

The solution to your asked question really depends on whether you are going to condense it down by 1 page, or expand it out 3 more pages.

Here's a solution I might try.

1) Condense your formatting until you are down to 8 pages including Front Cover.

This makes pages 1 and 2 (components) a nice easy read with the booklet open.

2) Move Page 3 (suggested layout) to the Back Cover. This will shift Setup rules to be on the new Page 3.

3) MOST IMPORTANT: Reformat until the MAP CARDS section fits EXACTLY on one page (you're already close to this and if you have done step 1 this might have happened naturally). The MAP CARDS page should include ALL the MAP CARDS information and NOTHING BUT the MAP CARDS information.

4) Now, make MAP CARDS Section to be Page 4.

Now, notice! With the booklet open to pages 3-4, Setup rules are on the left side (p3) and Map Placement rules are on the right side (p4)!

Hope that helps. There are different ways to solve this one, but the real takeaway from this is that you should start thinking of your layout in terms of the final booklet, and not in terms of a stack of single-sided stapled set of rules. Experimenting with it in your hands, with actual folded pieces of paper, will give you much more insight into where things should and can be placed, than working directly in .pdf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Majewski
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the super long absence, Thanks for the suggestions on formatting the instructions. I'm looking it over again (finally) and I'm pretty close to having your suggestions implemented in my instruction design thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.