BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: game design help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Smith
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I'm designing a baseball theme game, you don't actually play the game of baseball such as start o matic. Youhave the role of a general manager. Im thinking a deck building mechanic would be best. Basically you sign, trade, or develop players. In baseball some players have certain skills such as power hitting, defense, onbase ability, baserunning, starting pitching, relief pitching. And of course better the players the more money they will cost. As a general manager you need to make the fans happy with a contending team, and you need to make the owner (your boss) happy by simply making money. Any Ideas, or thoughts to help me out would be appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How would the various player attributes come into play in a deckbuilding fashion?

My guess is ballgame resolution should happen fairly rapidly and easily in a GM-level game, so my first question is how you'd use a deck of cards to resolve the ballgames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Still throwing ideas around about this. But hitting would be separate from pitching. For hitting you want a higher number rating, pitching would be lower. Let's sat you have 22 hitting points, and 17 pitching points. That gives you a +5 wins. In baseball there are 162 games, 81-81 would be mediocre, if you have a +5 your record would be 86-76 and possibly more money or victory points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Renshall

California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deck building is tough because of the random nature of draws vs. the regular turnover of a baseball lineup. This is going to be a card heavy design but what about this...GMs build a roster and the various combinations of play stats allow GMs to have access to certain cards that are used during the season. So rather than play "player cards" GMs play "game cards". Game cards could have elements like speed, power hit, clutch hit, amazing defense...etc.

There could also be business side cards that GMs have access to based on the popularity of the players on the roster. These cards can be used to alter the stadium to make the fans happy, run special events that increase ticket sales and make your owner happy.

In essence, the way a GM builds their roster, gives them access to certain cards that they can add to two different decks, a game deck and a baseball operations deck. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha. So you'd be drafting a team and then simulating an entire season at once?

That could work over multiple years with several players drafting and playing at once. You'd probably want to represent chunks of the season, to give GMs a chance to make personnel moves at various points, and allow things like injuries, streaks or slumps to come into play. Like 4 separate 40-game rounds, with the trade deadline being after the second or third round, then a postseason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I was thinking that you would draw x amount of gm cards, the cards would tell you areas of improvement needed. Ex: you need a starting short stop, or you need a left handed relief pitcher. So via trade, or free agent pool, or develop prospects you fill your need and possibly obtain victory points. To draft a full team I think may get to boring. In mlb a new gm takes over a struggling team to make improvements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Renshall

California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about starting the game by dealing out a player for each position. All players have higher and lower skill levels and the GM needs to improve the weaknesses of their team? You could handle a yearly draft by having a "hand" of X number of cards that players draft for new players and you could flip over player cards for a free agency period every off season.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
OK so your saying everybody gets a full team to start the game? And from there they try and make improvements? I have thought about this idea. Will that be to many cards? (25 players on a roster) what happens if one person ends up with a team full of stars or a team full of scrubs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Renshall

California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Baseball is a very card heavy game to simulate, we have tried twice. How do you feel about trying rosters with 11 fielders and 3 pitchers? I would have a set of first season cards where the stars are not included, deal out a team to each player and then deal out one or two star players for GMs to build around. GMs can choose which players from the starter deck are replaced by the stars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.