Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
90 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG News

Subject: Tanga Giveaway - 9/28-29 - Roads & Boats (US Only) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: news [+] geeks_who_complain_for_free [+] tanga [+] giveaway [+] [View All]
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Tonight's winner of the daily Tanga puzzle will win a copy of Roads & Boats.... and yes - the winner will be drawn randomly this time!

The puzzle goes up 7pm Pacific time.

www.tanga.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve
United States
SE
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
the winner will be drawn randomly this time!

That's cool and I'm excited and all, but I thought the daily prizes were drawn randomly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Last time Roads and Boats was given away it was awarded to the first person to complete the puzzle, but after complaints another copy was procured and awarded randomly.

So, that makes 3 copies of Roads and Boats given away on the BGG sister site. Anyone else second guessing keeping current with your supporter badge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Tanga is not BGG's sister site - I don't own Tanga. We are partners and are helping promote the site.

Edit: AFAIK only 2 copies of R&B are being given away - 1 from before and 1 tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
So, that makes 3 copies of Roads and Boats given away on the BGG sister site. Anyone else second guessing keeping current with your supporter badge?

I don't really see the connection between supporter badges and the Tanga giveaway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:

Whee did you see that this is #3... The first person to win #7 did get it, but when the uprorar happened Aldie only said he'd put up another one at some ofther time... this is that other time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
Last time Roads and Boats was given away it was awarded to the first person to complete the puzzle, but after complaints another copy was procured and awarded randomly.

The way they did it last time was unethical, if not illegal. They did not distibute a prize according to the documented rules of the contest/sweepstakes. I.e., they did not give out a prize randomly for that puzzle. (They can still correct this issue by going back and giving a random game prize for that puzzle. It does not need to be Roads and Boats.)

Nobody would have objected to them giving out an extra prize to the first puzzle solver.

I know I sound like an ungrateful whiner, but I honestly don't really care about not winning a game prize. However, this incident has tarnished my perception of Tanga (and BGG to some degree). It is a situation with an easy solution. I don't know why the people in charge have not bothered to resolve it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:

Crap, I remember the flap over the 1st copy... but I don't remember a 2nd copy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
The Unbeliever wrote:
apotheos wrote:

The way they did it last time was unethical, if not illegal. They did not distibute a prize according to the documented rules of the contest/sweepstakes. I.e., they did not give out a prize randomly for that puzzle. (They can still correct this issue by going back and giving a random game prize for that puzzle. It does not need to be Roads and Boats.)

Nobody would have objected to them giving out an extra prize to the first puzzle solver.

I know I sound like an ungrateful whiner, but I honestly don't really care about not winning a game prize. However, this incident has tarnished my perception of Tanga (and BGG to some degree). It is a situation with an easy solution. I don't know why the people in charge have not bothered to resolve it.

It didn't really occur to us that it would be such a problem (obviously it was) and Tanga will remedy this with a copy of Ra to a random winner from that evening's puzzlers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
JeffyJeff wrote:
apotheos wrote:

Crap, I remember the flap over the 1st copy... but I don't remember a 2nd copy!

2nd copy is tonight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Ohst
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up Aldie. Please send it to me priority mail and make sure to pack it well. I don't want a damaged box.

Hey one question though. Can a whiner, oops I mean winner only win one game, or can the same person win more than once?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
If I give a US address can I still participate?

Poop. yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The way they did it last time was unethical, if not illegal.

That comment made me laugh. Wait, it was a joke, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
The Unbeliever wrote:

Which is what I thought had happened. I tuned out of the whole affair about that time being both turned off and ineligible for prizes. My parting impression was that they'd awarded another copy of R&B to a random participant from that puzzle. My error.

Unless this website turns into a place to get free games this is such an unfathomably misguided marketing campaign that it astounds me. Then again, unless they are selling lingere, the domain name is a total laugh.

I think I'd best go edit my profile to reflect on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
caffinedrenchedfrog thegreat
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, so why can't us Canadians participate and either:
1. Pay for postage
2. Provide a U.S. Mailing address.

??????????

jp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are rules about sweepstakes, probably having to do with something tax-wise. I don't think this is really a sweepstakes, though. In any sweepstakes (I think), you can enter by purchasing whatever the people are selling, or you can enter for free by sending an entry by mail. This contest doesn't have that free entry option, so it's a contest rather than a sweepstakes.

That being said, I'm not sure if it was illegal since no money was collected to enter. Illegal or not, I, too, had a problem with the rules being changed without advanced notice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caffinedrenchedfrog wrote:
Yeah, so why can't us Canadians participate and either:
1. Pay for postage
2. Provide a U.S. Mailing address.

??????????

jp

If you do #2 above, you'd probably get away with it. I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain they aren't checking ID to get the prize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Quote:
The way they did it last time was unethical, if not illegal.

That comment made me laugh. Wait, it was a joke, right?

FlyingArrow wrote:
There are rules about sweepstakes, probably having to do with something tax-wise. I don't think this is really a sweepstakes, though. In any sweepstakes (I think), you can enter by purchasing whatever the people are selling, or you can enter for free by sending an entry by mail. This contest doesn't have that free entry option, so it's a contest rather than a sweepstakes.

That being said, I'm not sure if it was illegal since no money was collected to enter. Illegal or not, I, too, had a problem with the rules being changed without advanced notice.

Plan a Successful, Legal Sweepstakes
Advertising law expert D. Reed Freeman explains the finer points of the fine print.
: http://www.office.com/templates/page3.asp?docid=51

I am afraid that the people behind Tanga are taking a big legal risk by giving away games in this manner. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems suspect to me. (They are missing a mechanism to get an entry in the random drawing without solving the puzzles, and they certainly are missing the essential 'terms and conditions' fine print. This is a Sweepstakes and not a contest ("Game of Skill"), because a random element is involved.)

All they have to do is make one person upset, and they could be in a heap of trouble.

I don't mean to be a spoilsport, but I really don't want to see them get hurt, when I know that everyone involved has only the best of intentions.

Maybe I'm just paranoid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
caffinedrenchedfrog thegreat
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are they checking IP addresses though? Can't they tell through that?

jp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand people being unhappy about the US-only restriction, but the whining about the R&B incident is rather over the top. If it bothers you THAT much, you must have a pretty event-free life, otherwise. gulpgulpgulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lots of companies - including ones with large legal departments - have given out prizes for solving puzzles in the past, so I'm sure there is a legal way of doing it. To name just one example, there were the Henry Hook puzzle books from about 10 years ago, which had a decent cash prize for the winner (who had to solve a puzzle) - these were published by Random House. To name another, Games magazine has been giving out prizes in puzzle-solving (and other contests) for years (since 1977) with no problems that I am aware of, and they have random draws just like Tanga does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Tanga has said that if you can provide a US mailing address, you can win the prize, no matter where you actually live.

I do have to agree that this whole thing (the viral marketing campaign) seems rather poorly thought out, and given the apparently low numer of registered users, somewhat less than a smashing success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In checking some of the fine print on sweepstakes law, it seems that it's acceptable to give prizes away randomly, even when skill is involved to gain entry to the contest, provided that a duplicate copy of each prize is also given to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
Tanga has said that if you can provide a US mailing address, you can win the prize, no matter where you actually live.

I missed that. Can someone provide a link to it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Genghis wrote:
I missed that. Can someone provide a link to it?

I can't, but it was either in one of the Tanga threads here, or in their blog. Sorry, wish I could be more helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.